What do we need? Early off-season thread.

I like what I read about Scharping. Thanks for the read!
I doubt he would get a Day 1 draft grade, but do you have a sense of him being Day 2, or Day 3.
Any projections?

edit: Never mind. I just went and looked at CBS Sports and he's ranked as the #79 player and 10th best OT in the draft, which means he could get picked as early as the late 2nd round, but could also be there in the early 4th round.

Last edited:
Big questions about the 2019 draft will loom as injuries may be changing the order of priorities for the 2019 draft.

1) Edge/OLB (IMO) has been, and continues to be the most glaring need as the season continues to unfold. I could even see the Packers draft 2 of these players in rounds 1 thru 4, or draft one high and make a play for an Edge/OLB in free agency (but that is usually expensive, especially if you're looking for a difference maker............and there's usually very few of those difference makers that ever make it to FA)

2) The injury to Mo Wilkerson, and the impending 2020 Free Agency of Daniels, Clark, and Lowry may have just moved this position group much higher on the draft board. Less we forget that DL players typically don't begin to make an impact until their 2nd-3rd year in the NFL. Especially those drafted outside the top 10-15. They will need at least 1 DL in rounds 1-4, and also hope for continuing development of Adams, Looney, and Lancaster. Good thing that 2019 looks to be a pretty deep year, talent wise, at DL. Wouldn't surprise me to see them let Daniels walk in free agency when the time comes.

3) OL, and especially OT, is of great importance (again......FP( ). Mark listed a solid sounding prospect that could garner interest (Max Scharping). Would not surprise me to see the Packers part ways with Bulaga after this season. Age/injury are just becoming too much for him to overcome, and Green Bay has to make a decision on the long term future of the R-OT position. The Packers have question marks at R-G as well, but solidifying the edge on the right side is a more important issue, IMO.

4) Safety HAS to be included with the top "need" priorities as well. I don't see a long-term extension in HHCD's future, at least not with GB. Kentrell Brice lacks awareness and instincts. He's fast and physical, but a day late and a dollar short because of what he lacks at this point. Will his "light bulb" turn on? Maybe Raven Greene makes a 2nd year jump and claims one of the two starter spots? At the very least, Gute needs to add a versatile Safety somewhere in the first half of the draft, and maybe shop for a stop gap in free agency.

As it stands right now the Packers have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds. What Gute will do with these picks will be impacted by off-season moves and free agency. He's going to need to make some smart moves, both free agency and draft, if he doesn't want this "rebuild" to take longer than it has to.

Disagree on James. He’s a playmaker and you can’t pass up that type when you have a chance. We lack guys who have that athleticism

Get it Pack in difference maker. However, TT left cupboards empty in Secondary. Shields, Hayward gone, King can't stay healthy and nothing for depth. So take player and get torched all season again at Corner or draft Corners? Catch 22 imo.

Let's go with what ifs..

What if we had drafted him and he got hurt? And what if Jackson and Alexander turn into a Woodson/ Harris duo?

And what if Jackson and Alexander turn into a Woodson/ Harris duo?
That's laughable Jackson got 2 flags for grabbing today which he did at will at Iowa. Alexander is hurt now but I am not a believer. James was a rare talent and trading that away is piss poor front office work. Green bays pass defense is ranked 23 rd after 3 games so no it wasn't a smart move in any way shape or form.

That's laughable Jackson got 2 flags for grabbing today which he did at will at Iowa. Alexander is hurt now but I am not a believer. James was a rare talent and trading that away is piss poor front office work. Green bays pass defense is ranked 23 rd after 3 games so no it wasn't a smart move in any way shape or form.
Didn't say I wouldn't have made this move. Was surprised he was still on the board there.

Also been wanting a player like him ever since we lost Collins. So would have turned the card in for him in a NY minute and never looked back. Thought u would remember this ;)

Was playing Devil's Advocate here. ;)sp)

OK, we've passed the bye and are nearing the middle of the season. A couple of things have changed for me based on how we've played so far.

I would make WR less of a need now. Too early to know for sure, but looks like maybe Gute found a couple of capable WRs. I'm not completely taking it off the higher end of the need list, but I'd maybe drop it to something more like 4 or 5 now.

Edge rusher is still far and away the #1 need. We just have almost nothing there. No production at all and that is a large part of our poor ranking defending the pass.

D-line and O-line are now 2a and 2b. Wilkerson is likely done as a Packer and Daniels is just OK right now. Clark is ascending and we need another guy on the DL. The OL needs help at both RG and RT. The UNI kid might be just the sort of guy they need and will likely be there in Rds 2-3.

Safety has move up a few spots for me. I thought HHCD and Brice would continue to progress and at least make the position average. They haven't. Need to add one, though I'd prefer to add one via FA. I think a solid veteran would help this group. A true center field/free safety would be the best fit because I think guys like Brice/Jones/Whitehead can play well enough to be adequate near the LOS and supporting the run. Guys like Joyner and Thomas will command pretty big money and I'm not sure the Packers would bite - although with HHCD, Cobb, CM3 and Wilkerson's contracts off the books, they will gain about $35mil in CAP space. Is there really anyone on the current roster that is a priority to renew next March? Maybe you re-up Monty for some modest money but that's about it. You have a few other minimum type deals you need to probably do but they should have plenty to spend on a veteran safety (or another position for that matter).

Beyond that, things are pretty much in the same order. I'd like another/better ILB. A better RB would be good and fortunately can often be gotten after Rd 3. Also would not mind a young TE in the draft. As always, keep an eye open for a good QB but with the Rodgers deal that just got done, it might be a year or two too soon to take one real early as a replacement for AR.

Take Rodgers off this team and it would drafting near or at top of the draft.

Get the need list and am in agreement with u for the most part.

To me though this teams needs to take an aggressive approach to free agency or maybe even give up a pick for an player.

Then as far as draft goes just take.best player on board. This team's talent and depth has fallen off so much that u could.take almost any positional player to be an upgrade

To me it is now OLB, OL, and S in that order.

We know how bad the OLB's are. Next year Clay will be out and maybe Perry too. Depends on the cap hit for him. Look at FA and draft two in the draft, if we can.

OL is weak at both guards and right tackle. We also need depth at Center. Major problem to keep our 100M dollar investment upright. Hopefully, there will be some solid options in FA but definitely need to draft an OL

Safety is now a top priority due to no Dix. I liked the move but now we need to replace. Tramon may be a band aid but not a long term solution. Again, we may have a FA option but probably the draft at this juncture.

Lastly, D-Line and ILB needs to be addressed in the draft. We need to start finding another Clark and a younger better version of Mike Daniels. D-Linemen get old quickly. We have no depth at ILB and Martinez needs to have a stud next to him. We have never drafted high at that position besides AJ Hawk. It is time to look at drafting high again at ILB.

To me it is now OLB, OL, and S in that order.

We know how bad the OLB's are. Next year Clay will be out and maybe Perry too. Depends on the cap hit for him. Look at FA and draft two in the draft, if we can.

OL is weak at both guards and right tackle. We also need depth at Center. Major problem to keep our 100M dollar investment upright. Hopefully, there will be some solid options in FA but definitely need to draft an OL

Safety is now a top priority due to no Dix. I liked the move but now we need to replace. Tramon may be a band aid but not a long term solution. Again, we may have a FA option but probably the draft at this juncture.

Lastly, D-Line and ILB needs to be addressed in the draft. We need to start finding another Clark and a younger better version of Mike Daniels. D-Linemen get old quickly. We have no depth at ILB and Martinez needs to have a stud next to him. We have never drafted high at that position besides AJ Hawk. It is time to look at drafting high again at ILB.

A lot of wants here that cant be done. You only get so many "high" draft picks. to say we need OLB, OL and S then want to draft a ILB high isn't going to happen. There is only 1 ilb worth drafting early/1st and he is 10x what the small R Smith was last yr and That's Devin White. Hes an all around stud and tone setter. I would be fine with him. All other ilb are not worth the pick.

Same goes for safety. Only one is worth a 1st and the rest are reaches. Thompson has the range and ability you want in a FS. unlike HaHa he wont be a step late and likes contact.

Some real good pass rushers, DL (stacked DL) and OL will be around for us on day 1 and 2. I really like Allen. He is going to be a good olb in the NFL.

Take the best players and not reach for position. We have enough holes that we just need to get better. Adding reds and blues will be a good start to fix the roster

I don't think we have a clue as to what the Packers front office and coaching staff perceive as needs. I don't think they even agree with each other. It's also an unknown whether or not McCarthy and his entire staff will be fired. If that happens, you can pretty well throw everything out the window as to what happens next, except that Rodgers will be the QB, Bakhtiari will be at left tackle, and Linsley will be at center. I wouldn't even say anyone on the defensive side should get too comfortable because a new coaching staff could convert the team to a 4-3, and that's a new set of player requirements.

Right now, my concern is how much of cap room they should have is going to be wasted on guys who won't be of value to this team next year and beyond.

Back