What do we need? Early off-season thread.

Cheese,

I think OL is a priority but do not think it is #1. OLB or DE aka pass rusher is #1, IMO. I just don't like drafting an OL in round 1. Maybe at the 30-32 pick but not #12. You can usually find good OL in rounds 3-5 so that would be my play.
Everything ML wants to do on offense will depend on a solid, mobile, and healthy OL. GB doesn't have that any way you look at it.

Even healthy GBs ol is not that great.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

Draft AND FA will be used to address the OL problem.
I tend to agree with CB here that the #12 pick will be either a DL or an OLB.
I could see an OL with the late 1st round pick. Whether it G or T depends on what they do in FA.
Also a lot will depend on how the draft unfolds as well. A run on a position group the Packers have a need in could change their intended targets in the 1st round.

After watching the playoffs this team isn't going anywhere without a much better OL...

OL needs to be priority #1 right now. LA had a stacked Def front with good rushers and a strong OL almost completely nuetralized them in SB....

After watching the playoffs this team isn't going anywhere without a much better OL...

OL needs to be priority #1 right now. LA had a stacked Def front with good rushers and a strong OL almost completely nuetralized them in SB....

The Cole Madison pick going bust sets us back here, so I can see doubling up on OL in the mid rounds. Also keep an eye on Nico Siragusa, the late season pickup from Baltimore's PS. Suffered a knee injury in 2017 and wasn't all the way back last year. He may add some juice to the interior OL. Big, powerful guy, probably more of a drive blocker but can move a little bit too (at least pre-injury).

I'm still shoring up defense as priority #1 but agree that OL needs to get better fast. I'm thinking I might triple down or more in the off-season. Double down in the draft and add a FA . . . or two. You got some pieces to work with, but lets face it, too many UDFAs and draft fails mean they're short at a couple of spots and have no quality depth.

The biggest problem to me is the Spriggs and Murphy fails in the draft. At that point, it seemed like Ted "got it". The problem is it looks like he got it wrong on both of them. Maybe one of them could be a serviceable back-up at OG but it doesn't look like either one of them is a starter at OT. That needs to be fixed with another draft double down.

The problem is that in the meantime Bulaga has gotten older and the RG spot still hasn't been really fixed. I'm not real keen on counting on rookies, especially at OT, so I'm thinking they should at least look for a swing tackle kind of guy in FA and maybe a starting guard. Plus, you really need to draft at least an OT and maybe even another OG because Taylor regressed last year and you might need a LG soon as well as a RG.

I bring everyone back and let the new coaches sort things out in camp. Keep the best 9 and move on from there.

IMO, Ted drafted for need (example CB) for like 3 to 4 years in a row. Then the CB's did not work out and we were stuck with nothing.

I will say this again and I have said it before, you cannot draft for need on a consistent basis. You have to draft for value every year. You may draft for need for your 1st pick if you have a glaring need but you cannot draft multiple players for need every year. It will bite you in the a _ _! As it did Ted and the Packers.

We left the cupboard bare at O-line, WR, and Safety due to picking CB's for those 3 or 4 drafts in the 1st and 2nd rounds. You cannot do that as a GM and expect the team to stay successful. Oh and of course Ted also did not do anything in FA which also was an issue. But I digress....

Back