What Went Wrong in Packerland

Lots of anonymous quotes from people "close to Rodgers" or "close to McCarthy." Who is right is irrelevant - the point is, it means both Rodgers and McCarthy are sniping at eachother in public through their people. Not good.

What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is how tone deaf Murphy is or if he’s the driving force behind the culture. If he was not the guy making the decisions then he needs to clean the mess up.

Murphy showed up after Ted and Ball, didn't he? And before that he wasn't involved in anything on the football side. There are comments in there from ex-players, so I don't think this is a Murphy thing. I can see it happening where he shows up to the org, this is how it is, and so that's what the expectation becomes for him. Not to say he's totally blameless, I'm sure it's good for corporate sponsorship to not have a locker room full of "bad eggs".

Murphy showed up after Ted and Ball, didn't he? And before that he wasn't involved in anything on the football side. There are comments in there from ex-players, so I don't think this is a Murphy thing. I can see it happening where he shows up to the org, this is how it is, and so that's what the expectation becomes for him. Not to say he's totally blameless, I'm sure it's good for corporate sponsorship to not have a locker room full of "bad eggs".
Murphy has been here since 2007-2008 so just after Ted but not much, Ted began in 2005, 2008 for Ball

Last edited:
Murphy arrived December 3, 2007.

So he presided over the Brett Favre divorce and everything else since then.

Two blurbs that caught my eye:

because McCarthy has other duties as the head coach, he misses several offensive install meetings or quarterback meetings, a source of frustration for Rodgers because McCarthy will add or change plays during the Saturday walkthroughs that mess with the established flow of the game plan.

When asked why they think Van Pelt is no longer in Green Bay, several sources close to the team say they believe, because Van Pelt had Rodgers’s ear, McCarthy saw him as a threat.

Okay so here we go : I started in on this whole deal after the 2014 Seahawks debacle. Team was never the same since that time.

* MM has never been the same man since his brother died. He gained a ton of weight and lost his karma so to speak.

* GB has no real locker room leadership. Rodgers personality isn't suited for this style of organization at all. He's a laid back Cali guy in a stuffed shirts organization and it's stifling him and the team.

* Agree on the assessment of TT and how his team building only works IF you hit on each draft etc.Like others I think losing top people in the front office overtime hurt us worse then we knew. I don't think some hires were strong enough or had TT faith enough to get things done like Dorsey etc had before.

* Mark Murphy is a glorified college athletic director and business man with a law degree. Make no mistake he's extremely smart and calculated but I called his hiring way back a mistake.( Wischeez, 44blitz and others might remember that) He is getting advice from Charley Casserly on a regular basis on running this operation. That alone should scare the ever living heck out of packer fans.

*I am skeptical that wholesale change happens as long as the stands are full and so our the coffers. Rodgers new deal really screws this organization regardless of anything that occurs. Agree with 2 different articles about a new coach and staff in GB. He's being known as a diva and hard to coach which is a bigger problem then we thought.

Bottom line here the place is cluster and yes the issues myself, pack and a couple others harked on for 3 plus years exist. How they get resolved or if they get resolved soon is the million dollar question.

C'mon, some of the player gripes are pretty much what you hear from entitled pricks:

• Same colored shoes. Part of the uniform. Grow up.

• Can't have an untucked undershirt under your practice Tee. Darn, next they won't be letting you wear your football pants 3/4 down your ass with your boxers showing. The Pack's a proud franchise, they want you to look respectable when you're representing them.

• Somebody tidies up your locker while your practicing. Heaven freakin' forbid.

Yes, I'm an old "get off my lawn" guy. But, holy crap, what a bunch of whiny primadonnas.

The problem is as stated, Rodgers is going for the spectacular more than the play is scheduled for with young players who at this time in their career can only make the scheduled play. It makes sense. It explains the disconnect. But, Rodgers has to adjust down to the scheduled play until the kids gain sufficient experience to make off schedule plays. (Even when they gain the experience, I'd rather have them run the scheduled plays.)

The culture in Green Bay is and will be great for winners. It is not for whiners who can't wear the team shoe color, want to show their freakin' underwear, or can't stand having a maid.

Back