Which QB?

Terranimal

Reaction score
Tons of talk going in rating the other 4 QBs not named Lawrence.

So you're the Jets or 9ers who do you personally take (not who they're projecting) and how do you rate these guys.

My personal rating is Fields, Wilson, Jones, Lance.

This is a rare draft where possible 5 Qbs go top 10 and maybe first 5 picks.

Add that also possible for a trade up from some team at bottom of round one for Trask to get that 5th yr option.

Reactions: TW
Good questions. I wonder how many of these guys are actually going to be top level starters in the NFL.

Think 4 of the 5. The bigger question is who will rise from the second group of QB's? It's a big class this year.

Rating the QB’s doesn’t matter as much as does a team looking for a QB that fits what they run as an offense.

players like Fields and Lance are much better suited to what SF runs as opposed to Jones

Jones would be a better fit in NE

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder

Based on film, Eye test.....
1. Lawrence (not a can’t miss but seems to fit today’s game)
2. Lance (most upside in the class other than Lawrence. I get the competition debate. He’s not ready now but sit for 2 years and he’s going to grow)
3. Wilson (has the arm and the swag. 2 things you can’t teach. For every 5 wow throws you get 1-2 WTF throws. Probably the most difficult guy to judge)
4. Fields (mechanics scare me, he’s got guts and probably best deep ball of the bunch but he’s I keep going back to mechanics)
5. Jones (most day 1 ready. Probably the guy who needs the perfect system the most. )
6. Mond (a best a 2nd / 3rd round guy. Jimbo’s system asks the QB to do a lot but his work with QB’s is questionable.
7. Trask (if you want a QB who is a statue in the pocket, not athletic and below average arm strength he’s your guy)

Rating the QB’s doesn’t matter as much as does a team looking for a QB that fits what they run as an offense.

players like Fields and Lance are much better suited to what SF runs as opposed to Jones

Jones would be a better fit in NE

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder
I’m not so sure of that. The guy who really elevated his play under the Shanahan system was Matt Ryan. Under Pops the guy who did not was RG3. Ryan >> Jones. Fields >> RG3. I no not totally applicable but in general. Now Shanahan is a very innovative guy so does he see a Fields / Lance and more of the new NFL QB? Mobile, athletic?

I’m not so sure of that. The guy who really elevated his play under the Shanahan system was Matt Ryan. Under Pops the guy who did not was RG3. Ryan >> Jones. Fields >> RG3. I no not totally applicable but in general. Now Shanahan is a very innovative guy so does he see a Fields / Lance and more of the new NFL QB? Mobile, athletic?
So you think it’s possible Shanny could still take Jones over Fields/Lance based on the Matty Ice effect?
At the moment a number of “experts” believe Jones is more NFL ready (higher floor), but that Fields/Lance have the higher ceiling.

So you think it’s possible Shanny could still take Jones over Fields/Lance based on the Matty Ice effect?
At the moment a number of “experts” believe Jones is more NFL ready (higher floor), but that Fields/Lance have the higher ceiling.
Honestly don’t know the answer to that. If you look at Ryan it’s a decent Jones comp for the system, but Ryan is more talented if that makes sense. Ceiling wise I like Lance over Fields.

I think Lance has the biggest upside over the 4 QB's after Lawrence but is the biggest gamble if he develops out of the 4. Mac Jones might be the closest to game ready but I think he has the least upside of the 4. I think Wilson and Fields can be really good QB's but will all depend on the coaching they get.

Back