Why Firing Mike McCarthy Was Necessary for the Packers

Interesting read for sure. The Brandt article, which was embedded, was insightful as well.

“One time I really saw it for the first time, we were in the huddle. I guess McCarthy called in a play, and Aaron was kind of like, ‘Nah,’ ” Lewis said. “He gave a direction and a protection to the line, and went. It was a four-minute offense, he threw a 40-yard bomb for a completion. I’m like, ‘What’s really going on?’ I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life.”

Insubordination and you fired the HC...hmmm interesting.

Clear Rodgers was not respecting MM and only wanting to do his own thing. New HC will anything change that's a highly doubtful question unless new HC cows to #12

Clear Rodgers was not respecting MM and only wanting to do his own thing. New HC will anything change that's a highly doubtful question unless new HC cows to #12
While I agree Rodgers may not have respected MM at the end, it's not clear that he just wanted to "do his own thing". Lewis gave an instance of where Rodgers may have saw something in the defense that MM didn't, and changed the play to one that actually did work. Not giving AR a free pass here, but we all knew that the 2 of them were not on the same page this season.

If you look back in Packer history, there's a lot of truth to what's said. The story gets old, and you need to reset, and start over. The Patriots story is really an exception to the rule, not the rule.

Even if you look at Lombardi, he knew when it was time to step aside. He knew his team had run it's course. Bengtsen tried to emulate Vince, but that ship had sailed, and he failed miserably. The magic was gone. He was a victim of the team's successes, not so much of his own failures, even though he too contributed to his quick exit. Lombardi was starting all over, in Washington, and may have well succeeded in a similar cycle of up to 9 years. We'll never know for sure.

An excellent article.

It's a slow Packers news time, waiting on interviews, so I thought I would add that to this thread. I don't think it surprises anyone as most knew there was some dysfunction. What I found interesting was the locker room comment, the comment about MMs offense being the worst for TEs, and how AR still has plenty of skills left as Lewis talks about his no look passes and how he can flick that ball, accurately, from any angle

Last edited:
Back