With Pick 2 in Round 2 GB Selects Josh Jones Safety NC State

I never played against anyone who was so bad that he was constantly asking for it. I was lucky. They are out there. The guys who pull stunts in piles are usually the same guys who take cheap shots during a play, that usually go unnoticed by officials. When they get theirs, they've asked for it.

I always remember Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, playing for the Chiefs. He used a chop on the neck/shoulder of players, and put them out of games. In their first Super Bowl, against the Packers, the Pack put him on the sideline early, and guys on the Packer sideline were laughing about how they put him and his big mouth out of the game.

Williamson had injured a few players during the year, on what was then a legal hit, and paid the price for it. Never heard any real posturing by him about his "hammer" after that.

I never played against anyone who was so bad that he was constantly asking for it. I was lucky. They are out there. The guys who pull stunts in piles are usually the same guys who take cheap shots during a play, that usually go unnoticed by officials. When they get theirs, they've asked for it.

I always remember Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, playing for the Chiefs. He used a chop on the neck/shoulder of players, and put them out of games. In their first Super Bowl, against the Packers, the Pack put him on the sideline early, and guys on the Packer sideline were laughing about how they put him and his big mouth out of the game.

Williamson had injured a few players during the year, on what was then a legal hit, and paid the price for it. Never heard any real posturing by him about his "hammer" after that.

That was Jim Taylor, I believe, who clobbered him in the super bowl. The same same Jim Taylor who looks like he could still ring someone's bell on the field if he had a mind too.

I met, and knew Taylor back when he was with the Packers. I had the opportunity of being on the sidelines a couple of times, where he hit guys head on, trying to get a couple of yards. He rang a lot of bells with his crushing play. He was one of two true fullbacks of that era. The other was Jim Brown. In those days, they were the work horse ball carriers.

He was a nice enough guy, but on the football field, he loved collisions.

If I remember correctly, it was Donnie Anderson who Williamson hit, and was injured. He'd been burned so badly by then he was just a pedestrian DB on the field. The injury was pretty much poetic because of his mouth. He got what he asked for.

Wasn't it the 4th quarter when it happened? I was about a 1/4 of a keg of beer into the game by then. I had the only color TV among all my friends, and my living room was full of Packer fans whooping it up, and having a fantastic time! In those days, we had very little clothing from teams. We all had grey sweat shirts with "Property of Green Bay Packers" emblazoned on the front. One of our guys got them from someone he knew, who worked in the Packers front office at the time. We thought they were nifty as anything out there today. Those shirts cost us $2 each, and we thought we had gold!

I wore a cup. After taking one whack in the gonads while playing high school baseball (I was a catcher), I realized that if there was enough pain to wish yourself dead so it would go away.... wear a cup! Fortunately I did in football too. Played fullback and middle linebacker in HS, and MLB after HS.
OMG, I have the same story! It was in Little League so I learned early. The pitcher one-hopped a fastball in front of me off the plate which batter swung at. In any case it hopped off plate and whacked me right in the nuts. I was down. Worse than the pain (it hurt!) was the laughter I endured, from both my team and the opposing team! Boys at that age are merciless, lol!!!

Reactions: TW
C-ixkq7XcAAYo4E.jpg

Jones is one of those players who couldn't play the game between his ears. It makes things work on the field.

Back