With Pick 2 in Round 2 GB Selects Josh Jones Safety NC State

I didn't spend much time looking at safeties. Just did not figure safety would be in the mix for the Pack. Burnett and HHCD are solid. Evans and Brice are speed guys who'll hit people so I figured we'd be OK there. Instead, I think what we are seeing is TT actually replacing guys who have been lost. Shields is gone - replaced with King. Hyde is gone - replaced with Jones.

Wait, hold on. That sounds an awful lot like 'need' picks rather than BPA. This is a Packer site, after all. :)

I'll go on record right now and say this guy will be our best pick. My god is he nasty on tape. Pull up some stuff off youtube of his games and he is just a man among children.

This pick tells me we're going to see a bunch of hybrid nickel packages this year. They had success with moving Burnett down to the box and I'd expect to see him and Jones both do it this year.
Love adding more speed with the first two picks. This defense desperately needed it.

Half-empty . . . BPA is just TT's (and other GMs) way of saying they didn't reach, but that's mostly a bunch of bull for him and other GMs. They always factor need into the mix. With King you could certainly say he was BPA at #33, but so were maybe a few other guys. Need was the reason for him. If the Packers were knee deep at CB, I don't think TT makes that pick. Jones is the same thing. There were probably a dozen players TT could have taken at 63 who he could credibly say were BPA, but in the end, need won the day.

Also because you gave me the idea in the King thread, here is the Aaron Rouse comparison to Jones - a damn interesting comparison.
Jones 220#, Rouse 223#
Jones 4.41 40-yd, Rouse 4.53 40-yd
Jones 4.4 shuttle (pro-day?), Rouse 4.19 shuttle (pro-day)
Jones 7.05 3-cone (pro-day?), Rouse 6.81 3-cone (pro-day)

Jones is faster, but those agility numbers don't look good. Not sure if there was something odd about his pro-day, but those are "meh" numbers for a DB. Not awful, but not good, especially for a day 2 guy.

By contrast, Morgan Burnett did 3.92 and 6.87 in those agility drills. (Hyde, the guy he's "replacing" ran 4.22 & 6.67) Not amazing at all, but much more middle of the pack for a DB and good for a safety. Might be too early to say he'll replace Burnett. Might be more of a fit as a hybrid guy and complement to Burnett. He can run with anybody, but can he stay with guys in and out of breaks. Let's hope he's more Burnett than Rouse, but count me among the cautious now that I've had some time to look into him some more. There was some brief mention of him being able to play CB on the NFL network coverage but those agility numbers seem to say otherwise.

Hopefully his on-field play makes my numbers comparison look stupid.

Guys as always my strong point is DB... played it and coached it. He's a strong safety. You want him running down hill hitting people. Has enough speed and quickness to keep you from getting flanked by a TE. Schematically speaking it's a nice fit

So what experienced Safety would you be referring to? You say that over and over and never mention the 'experienced' veterans names, just wondering who you have in mind?

People are saying this means Burnett is gone. He's turned into a solid S. So once again TT would be letting a veteran walk over a low experience player.

Guys as always my strong point is DB... played it and coached it. He's a strong safety. You want him running down hill hitting people. Has enough speed and quickness to keep you from getting flanked by a TE. Schematically speaking it's a nice fit

Thanks Mark, good to know.

I heard back from my contact, but that'll have to wait for right now.

I found three games on YouTube for Mr. Josh Jones, and you can see some of the things he generally does very well, and a few areas that hopefully he can improve on.

Of the three games I found, this game against Vandy is easily his worst. He takes bad angles, is unable to shed blockers, misses a few tackles that he shouldn't, and even his pick at the end he was toast on. It was a positive play for the defense as a whole, but a negative for the two guys in coverage.

This is the hurricane game against ND, and besides the Irish offense just being awful, there were some good moments for our draft pick. It's hard to take too much away due to the dreadful conditions and the poor play by Kizer/the ND offense in general.

Of the individualized games, this is his best showing by far. He whiffs on two tackles pretty bad, including taking a poor angle on the last Miami td.

I also found an abridged version of the NC State-Clemson game. Here we get to see Mr. Jones up against a good offense, he does well, plays most of the second half of the game lining up in the lower right hand portion of the video (and some of his defensive plays are hidden by the score box).

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but I think for how Capers will want to use this guy, the comparable isn't Rouse but Deion Jones, currently with the Falcons.

D Jones: 6'1 222lbs, 4.38 pro day 40, 7.13 3 cone

J Jones: 6'1 220, 4.41 combine 40, 7.05 3 cone (from post above, I don't see online where this number came from though)

He's going to be more of a S/LB type player, covering TEs and RBs but otherwise playing in the box and hopefully downhill.

People are saying this means Burnett is gone. He's turned into a solid S. So once again TT would be letting a veteran walk over a low experience player.

Burnett will be going on his 3rd contract. While only being 29 years old after this year. Burnett will probably get at much is not more in a new contract and with the salary cap and other players coming due for contracts you got to pick and choose who you keep. Just seems like this will be one of the players TT chooses to let go in a effort to keep guys like Dix, Linsley, and Adams.

Back