With Pick #21 GB Selects Darnell Savage Safety Maryland

FCC( this kid is the real deal. Packers essentially gave up Derwin James plus 2 fourth round picks to get him. He's got huge expectations on him.
Wish people could deal with the ghost of Derwin James. Essentially we have Jaire Alexander and Savage instead of Derwin James and the truth is we probably would've drafted Trumaine Edwards before James because James took plays off in college.

Wish people could deal with the ghost of Derwin James. Essentially we have Jaire Alexander and Savage instead of Derwin James and the truth is we probably would've drafted Trumaine Edwards before James because James took plays off in college.
No one had Edwards graded ahead of James unless they were blind. James was an all-pro as a rookie and proved without a shadow of a doubt he belonged there. Alexander had flashes but he wasn't top 20 caliber despite what some here think. That trade was a gamble and one that realistically wasn't as fruitful as first thought. No ghost just fact.

The Packers wanted him so went to get him. I’m less concerned about giving up 2 4ths than I am about him being the best safety in a weak safety class. I just don’t know that he’s that good of a prospect but time will tell. Was hoping they’d take an OL or TE at 30.

As for Jaire he's going to really need to pick it up a notch in year 2 before the James talk goes away.

James also had injury concern. man imagine if he came here and got hurt. the talk about the 2nd coming would have soured really fast haha. James is good. really good. I didn't see one person not think that. He had a great rookie yr but that D and HIM got shredded in the playoffs. He was on ice skates in that game. He looked lost at times also. living in the past is silly and useless. time will tell but we have a really good chance to have 2 good players out of that move. I take that all day long and let it play out.

I really like the Savage pick and I don't think hes there at 30. Colts and I thought I heard the ravens both were on him. This is a true FS that we haven't had since we lost Collins. Unlike HaHa who is a bum and always late this kid has the speed to cover ground. Some have him compared to ET. That might be a little high at this point but the athletic ability is there. With the add of Amos the back end has no excuses not to be solid.

Some have him compared to ET.

iu

The Packers wanted him so went to get him. I’m less concerned about giving up 2 4ths than I am about him being the best safety in a weak safety class.

so let me propose an alternative scenario. rather than trade away the two fourth round picks, we keep #30. at #30, we have our pick of jawaan taylor, greg little, cody ford or dalton risner. then in the fourth round, we have our pick of amani hooker and/or sheldrick redwine. both were taken after our first pick in the fourth. redwine was taken after our second pick. or we could have taken redwine and a corner, say isaiah johnson.

i don't dislike the pick. but i strongly dislike giving up two fourth round picks to get him.

so let me propose an alternative scenario. rather than trade away the two fourth round picks, we keep #30. at #30, we have our pick of jawaan taylor, greg little, cody ford or dalton risner. then in the fourth round, we have our pick of amani hooker and/or sheldrick redwine. both were taken after our first pick in the fourth. redwine was taken after our second pick. or we could have taken redwine and a corner, say isaiah johnson.

i don't dislike the pick. but i strongly dislike giving up two fourth round picks to get him.

Gute et al believe Savage can do things in this D that the others S can't. Yes, they could've done what you described and had bodies at the same position. They made a judgment call that Savage will be more of an impact player than the other combinations you described. Just like many people would've said that Derwin James is worth more than Alexander + Savage, Gute thinks Savage is worth more than Ford + Redwine.

In the end, Gute will be judged exactly on this sort of thing.

of course that is a scenario after the fact so it holds no water. who is to say that those guys are there on draft night?? I see your point and would have no problem with most the guys you mentioned (not little that guy is soft like butter) but the point is the packers liked savage and they think he is that guy to do what they want to do on D. they traded 4th round picks to get him. Im happy it was 4th rounders and not the 2nd with another pick. Ppl get mad when we add an extra 1st round pick than don't like when we trade up and move 4th rounders :confused:

was Gute aggressive. yes. we will see how it pans out but its something we wanted to see out of Ted. He attacked a position and now its up to the staff.

Back