With Pick #21 GB Selects Darnell Savage Safety Maryland

He has the speed, has the ability to read offenses fairly well, the only question I have is if he can tackle at the NFL level? If he adds weight, and bulks up, how much speed will he lose?

We could have done worse, and did with that #12 pick.

Apparently this entire draft is dedicated to resurrection of our defense. It must mean they believe they have a stable of offensive linemen that can do the job, or that day 2 will produce some solid options.

I do tend to agree that on day 2, there will be guys out there that can develop impact players on offense. You just need to get the round pegs for the round holes, and they can improve.

So, who do we do with our 2nd round? I see offensive line and TE as the two options. Just my thoughts.

I liked both Thornhill and Savage.

Getting one of them is great for this defense.

Now Pettine can let Adrian Amos do what he does best with a player like Savage playing with him.

Really like this pick.

Now hoping for some offense.

Agree and would add Adderley as a fall back guy who would be there at 44. Adderley was more of a project and I think Savage is more polished and ready to go so maybe taking him at #21 will have greater immediate impact.

Hopefully 44 and 75 are offense, though they might deal from these spots to get back into the 4th. (A 6-10 spot drop from 44 would get them a 4th and maybe even a 5th so they wouldn't need to drop too far. Using 75 you'd need to drop about 15 spots to get a late 4th.) I'd rather they keep 44 if there is still an OT to be had.

Interesting that they didn't address the offense at all with those first 2 picks. Lots of speculation on needing to rebuild the line and add a weapon or two for ML. I wonder if the additions of Turner and Madison made them feel better about the OL such that they thought all they needed was a depth guy or two later in the draft. There are a few quality guys still out there - Risner, Taylor, Little, Ford, McCoy would seem like options at #44. A few might be limited to playing OG in the NFL though that would be okay if Turner can handle RT.

They brought in McGary/OT/WASH for a 30 visit.
He might get 3rd round look.

Agree that TE is on the front burner today.
Irv Smith
Drew Sample
Foster Moreau

All three can run block and catch.

I still think Hock was the target at #12, and when he and Jonah Williams were gone it was on yo plan C.

Alexander and King run like deer. They can stick with guys down the sidelines. Savage is going to be one of very few safeties in the NFL who’s both smart enough and fast enough to cover the deep middle by himself. Being able to play cover 1 opens up so many things. Instead of two players covering the deep middle, one guy is doing it. That’s an extra player free do do anything else. The packers just became one of a handful of teams that can employ cover 1 coverage with confidence.

It’s even better because now Adrian Amos and Tramon Williams (slot) are two very smart and savvy interior secondary players. These two can work together to create all sorts of chaos in the shallow to intermediate middle of the field.

We’re missing one piece to our back 7. We’re missing a bonafide pass defense linebacker to pair with Martinez.

Regarding the UW linemen, Dieter factors into pick 75 I think, though there are boards with him anywhere from the 50's well into Rd 4 so who knows. Benzschawel is a little later type guy. There is also David Edwards from UW, who is draftable and might be able to play RT but may need to move to OG. Don't have a great feel for him either. Got some love early but has been sliding down draft boards. Having seen him play, I thought he was just okay and felt like Rd 4 was the earliest I would take him. Not sure either Dieter or Benz are in play for the Pack. They seem to love taking tackles, especially LTs, and converting them to play other spots on the line.

Regarding the UW linemen, Dieter factors into pick 75 I think, though there are boards with him anywhere from the 50's well into Rd 4 so who knows. Benzschawel is a little later type guy. There is also David Edwards from UW, who is draftable and might be able to play RT but may need to move to OG. Don't have a great feel for him either. Got some love early but has been sliding down draft boards. Having seen him play, I thought he was just okay and felt like Rd 4 was the earliest I would take him. Not sure either Dieter or Benz are in play for the Pack. They seem to love taking tackles, especially LTs, and converting them to play other spots on the line.

Agree 57. Packers are looking for athletic lineman and the Badger lineman are not. They are more bruisers, IMO.

I really like the player. Really thought he'd be there later. Another speed freak. A guy they could certainly move around a little. Play him deep, have him cover the slot, blitz him a little from the slot. Really versatile guy. Like him a lot, just not so sure they needed to move up to take him at #21. He's a true free safety and is a solid fit.

One thing is clear . . . Gute is adding speed and athleticism to the defense with his picks the last couple of years.

Also they must have really liked him since they traded up to get him.

Back