Young QB Tim Boyle gives Packers a do-over for Taysom Hill

I agree with the second part no question, but one of the things the most recent CBA accomplished was absolutely gutting what MM is able to do with his 'school'

MM and gutting in the same sentence....classic

I suspect they pick one of Hundley or Kizer for the 53-man and Boyle ends up on the PS, or maybe he makes the 53-man so they don't repeat the Hill fiasco. Depends on what happens in preseason. Callahan was a nice story, but he simply did not have NFL tools. Not a strong arm, not very athletic, not prototypical size, etc. Using college stats just doesn't mean much. There are D-3 guys putting up all sorts of nice numbers every year, but very few of them are NFL material. I don't know if Boyle will be better, but at least he looks the part - a good athlete with a strong arm. Maybe he does just need better coaching - though I'm not sure he'll get that in GB.

Yes. Extend Rodgers. Draft a guy. Sit him 3 years. If he can't play oh well you still have Aaron. If he can, trade Aaron will likely still be tradeable.

If you sit him three years, how do you know if he can't play? How do you know if he can? Preseason and garbage time aren't going to prove anything, Aaron isn't going to allow himself to be replaced if it counts, so only if AR goes down again MIGHT we know. Think of all the "wow, he's really got it" QBs that have flashed (e.g., Flynn) or apparently showed they could lead a team over long periods (r.g., Cassell) who turned out to be losers. Also, what is AR's contract going to look like? You might be asking another team to pony up great globs of cash for a 37 year old QB that has been beaten out by his backup. And, the contract could be a major hurdle for the Pack, too, depending.

Just saying that, as appealing as it is, that approach might be tough to implement.

If you sit him three years, how do you know if he can't play? How do you know if he can? Preseason and garbage time aren't going to prove anything, Aaron isn't going to allow himself to be replaced if it counts, so only if AR goes down again MIGHT we know. Think of all the "wow, he's really got it" QBs that have flashed (e.g., Flynn) or apparently showed they could lead a team over long periods (r.g., Cassell) who turned out to be losers. Also, what is AR's contract going to look like? You might be asking another team to pony up great globs of cash for a 37 year old QB that has been beaten out by his backup. And, the contract could be a major hurdle for the Pack, too, depending.

Just saying that, as appealing as it is, that approach might be tough to implement.

Very good points Half Empty. That contract, with all the guaranteed money, probably also guarantees thst AR will be holding a clip board if he gets beat out by the backup.

It's no different than when Arod sat all those years. Most likely Arod gets injured again and we'd have a peek at whoever it was at some point.

I think the hope is that, if you draft a guy in the first round (or combining first round picks, the upper first round), the guy is going to be able to play. And when Aaron was ready to play, the coaches knew it. They could see it in practice, the practice squad and pre-season action. You can't go by what they say to the media and in public, but coaches aren't dumb, they know. And again, I think the hope is after a couple years your guy gets to the point where you know. And it that doesn't happen, you still have Rodgers under contract.

Your point about trading Rodgers with a big contract is certainly a concern, but I think every year in the league you see 1 or 2 teams that have strong rosters but crummy QBs. Cap room will be less and less of an issue, as the cap is already expanding at a crazy rate. There will always be a John Elway trying to find a Peyton Manning for one last hurrah.

It's no different than when Arod sat all those years. Most likely Arod gets injured again and we'd have a peek at whoever it was at some point.

I think going forward, I'm certainly not hoping for it, but it'll be interesting to see if the injury bug starts to nip at AR's heels. I know the collarbones are healed but, imo, it's gotta be a concern.

Last edited:

Because #12 isn't a spring chicken. Just like it was with an aging Favre he'll get his shot. Sitting out and taking it in for a couple years goes a long way. Gave us a well refined Rodgers rather than a run around like my pants are on fire rookie QB.

20/20, after sitting for a few years, we got this guy

when we could have had this one

or

this one

Granted, it's been on the D side, but I don't buy the "the coaches are professionals and get paid to do this" when we see personnel moves like those recently.

Probably don't even need to address the "we hope a really high draft will work out" part, but just in case...

Obviously, only time will tell, and there could well be other significant factors involved (e.g., how Rodgers would react to being our hip-pocket QB)

However, no big deal, yet, so on to more pertinent threads. :)

Back