2018 Off-Season Wish List Thread

it would be great, but i just can't imagine that the lions are going to let him walk.

Haven't read Kiper, but I do know he has a good idea for big guys. I'll never forget is draft day argument with Lindy Infante over Mandarich. Kiper said it was a "stupid pick," and Infante came unglued. Said Kiper was an idiot, and it continued.Mandarich was a bad pick. Taken two players later? Barry Sanders. Kiper said the Packers should have picked him, right after they picked Mandarich.
So... although I disagree with a lot of what Kiper says, he may be onto something with this one. It's pre-combine though, so nobody knows much for sure.
TW, you sure you aren't confusing that with the 1994 Bill Tobin- Mel Kiper tit-for-tat?

In hindsight, the Mandarich pick was bad, BUT at the time he was consensus #2 pick. Mandarich was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and of all the All Pros taken in the top six or seven picks, Tony Mandarich dominated the draft news that year. IIRC the cover of SI called him 'the Incredible Bulk'.

Tobin-Kiper got into it on air about the Colts drafting a LB Alberts over Trent Dilfer. Chris Mortenson interviewed Tobin and Tobin's famous line was "Who the hell is Mel Kiper? My mailman knows more about football than that guy."

I don't feel like Rodgers is the problem on O. I wouldnt put any short leash on him. Only time I have a problem is when it is 3rd and 1 and we go for a hr. Dink and dunk a little more, more then anything. we will use the backs. Rodgers makes this thing go and a healthy team is a top 5 O.

He's very much a problem. This where the ggg( need to come on every poster on this board. While Aaron is a top 5 QB in the NFL he has some bad habits. His dancing around and trying to make extra out of nothing rather than throwing the ball away bit him in the ass last year. But I fully agree with T...everyone bitch's about MM not running more, however, we don't know how many time AR checked out of run and went pass.

I am not a fan no matter who the QB is on giving them 100 % control to audible. The best example of this Rodgers and his hurry-up bullshit... while this all seems fine and dandy not having the advantage of time of possession puts your defense on the field longer. Did anyone here stop to think maybe those failures actually hindered Capers and the defense? Yes, let's let Rodgers do his run and gun BS while our defense plays 65 to 80 snaps... don't care who you hire as a DC and who your draft your defense is going to get gassed late doing that.

As I said for 2 years it is the sum of many things that hinder this team... not one area by itself.

He's very much a problem. This where the ggg( need to come on every poster on this board. While Aaron is a top 5 QB in the NFL he has some bad habits. His dancing around and trying to make extra out of nothing rather than throwing the ball away bit him in the ass last year. But I fully agree with T...everyone bitch's about MM not running more, however, we don't know how many time AR checked out of run and went pass.

I am not a fan no matter who the QB is on giving them 100 % control to audible. The best example of this Rodgers and his hurry-up bullshit... while this all seems fine and dandy not having the advantage of time of possession puts your defense on the field longer. Did anyone here stop to think maybe those failures actually hindered Capers and the defense? Yes, let's let Rodgers do his run and gun BS while our defense plays 65 to 80 snaps... don't care who you hire as a DC and who your draft your defense is going to get gassed late doing that.

As I said for 2 years it is the sum of many things that hinder this team... not one area by itself.

so your saying Rodgers is at fault for the awful play on D?? The D has sucked coming out the gate before they had a chance to get gassed. the No pass rush, shotty coverage on 3rd and a mile and the worst FS in the game last yr are not on Rodgers. This has nothing to do with green and gold blinders. Everyone will agree Rodgers has some bad habits, but we saw life without him and it was bad. Shit many were saying MM needed to let hundley open it up more rofl( now we want to put a leash on the most gifted qb in the NFL??

Like you said, we have no idea how many times AR checked out of run, so that argument holds no water. The hurry up is just as much on MM as anyone. It doesn't have to happen and hes the coach. AR does not over rule him.

I do agree with you that AR has some faults and more effective running game is ideal. I blame a lot of Rodgers scrambling on scheme. The iso route stuff is a thing of the past and our wrs aren't/weren't getting open. This is where taking a page out of BB book and dinking and dunking it more would limit AR holding the ball as long. Like I said the only real problem AR needs to tame is the 3rd and short going deep. It doesnt and hasn't worked since 2012.
I think we have the pieces to run the ball more and show more out of the backfield with our young backs. This bad season is going to be a blessing. We found out we have some talent in the backfield that will make the d respect. Its up to Mac to use it.

I remember watching the draft on TV, and Infante being mad because Kiper said it was a bad pick. Kiper didn't say it, but was of the belief that Mandarich was a steroid freak. He'd alluded to it earlier in the show. There had been so many indications it was a fact, and yet, the Packers didn't bother to do a drug test on him, before they considered him for that high of a pick.

Kiper commented that Barry Sanders was on the board, and he thought it would be their best pick. When they went to the Packers draft room for a live interview, Kiper and Infante had a disagreement over the choice, and Infante suggested he should stick to making his "inaccurate" guesses on who would be taken, and when.

I don't remember the disagreement between Tobin and Kiper to be honest. Getting old. LOL

I would have zero problem totally rebooting the WR and pass rushing groups this off-season. The Packers haven't been able to get open or get deep since early 2015. Remember 2011 where we seemingly hit a 50 yard bomb weekly. I miss that.

Maybe things will be different with Gute, but TT had no real success drafting WR's after the 3rd round.

Maybe things will be different with Gute, but TT had no real success drafting WR's after the 3rd round.
Hope Gute tries some late round fliers on TALENT. Guys who slip from off field mishaps. Not criminals, but a kid like Antonio Callaway WR Florida. He's a talented headcase, but being 5th WR might help him deal with reality. Work hard- get rewarded. Flush him if it doesn't work.

I would have zero problem totally rebooting the WR and pass rushing groups this off-season. The Packers haven't been able to get open or get deep since early 2015. Remember 2011 where we seemingly hit a 50 yard bomb weekly. I miss that.

Yep. Difference makers on offense aged out and/or replaced by 'meh' as well. Who is left? Rodgers and Bacteria. Maybe a running back.

I would like the Packers to improve our ILB group. Martinez stepped up this year to improve his game but outside him our ILB are bad. Ryan is backup quality and anyone else who would be considered only a ILB right now may not even be backup quality. I know I mentioned before that there was a suggestion in an article I read were Josh Jones might be a guy to convert but is there any good ILB in the draft?

Back