5 Moves The Packers Need to Make

No point in restrucrting Matthews. He has 2 years left on deal. He will demand more years if you want to redo his contract which you do not want to do. Matthews will see the last of his dead money next year so if he has another subpar year you can cut him after next year with one year left on his deal and have no cap hit.
Didn't realize that. Thanks, GBP4EVER. Weird how he has fallen so fast. Hopefully, whoever is in charge will bring in players that will help Clay get back to being a playmaker.

This draft is super deep at RB. I would rather load up at CB because we have shown that start of season we were deep at CB and by middle of season we were ready to sign bums living under the overpass

And the two TT drafted are doing so well? ;) I don't trust TT to draft for Defense

Agree there is no point in re-doing CM3's contract at this point. Probably better to just let him play out next season on the existing deal and leave yourself free and clear in 2018 if you choose to go that route. You don't really need the CAP money for 2017, there will be plenty of space since I assume Shields and Peppers will be gone (or back at a much lower prices).

Also agree that you have to deal with the RB situation. Starks looked done this year. Lacy, not far behind, though I would bring him back on a 1yr deal and see if he's serious about being in shape come camp. Montgomery as a 3rd down back makes sense, but that role is complicated by MM's insistence on running the offense in hurry-up mode. He doesn't really like to substitute during a series so the personnel group that starts the series often finishes the series. Other teams will actually bring in passing down groups but the Packers don't do it the way most teams do so. It's hard for anyone to really be a 3rd down back for the Packers if you aren't willing to sub in those guys on passing downs. If you are drafting for MM as the coach you need to find guys who can kind of do it all or live with the limitations they bring you.

Matthews played with tears in his shoulder that stretched down into his chest. Not that I am happy with his performance or injury history but I will give him the benefit of doubt. There was talk he may need surgery on the shoulder.

He played 4 less games this year than last year due to injury and recorded 1 less sack. Last year he moved inside a bunch and we were singing his praises.

Matthews played with tears in his shoulder that stretched down into his chest. Not that I am happy with his performance or injury history but I will give him the benefit of doubt. There was talk he may need surgery on the shoulder.

He played 4 less games this year than last year due to injury and recorded 1 less sack. Last year he moved inside a bunch and we were singing his praises.
Have to agree Eye. He is still the ONLY playmaker we have left on defense. He is also the best draft pick TT has made on that side of the ball. HaHa was a good, no brainer pick but he doesn't hit and seems to only intercept tipped balls or Chicago QBs overthrows.
I will also tip my hat to CMIII for playing hurt, you could see it on the field. He played a couple games basically one-armed. We have to let Peppers go, unless you can figure out an acceptable dollar amount for someone who plays 20% of the snaps? Sounds like minimum to me. Hoping a year of Pro weight room work helps Fackrell develop. He has some gifts (he took Adrian Peterson out for the year) to develop, but that is putting trust in the defensive staff- which has been a losing proposition recently.
What could Kevin Greene have done for Fack?

Have to agree Eye. He is still the ONLY playmaker we have left on defense. He is also the best draft pick TT has made on that side of the ball. HaHa was a good, no brainer pick but he doesn't hit and seems to only intercept tipped balls or Chicago QBs overthrows.
I will also tip my hat to CMIII for playing hurt, you could see it on the field. He played a couple games basically one-armed. We have to let Peppers go, unless you can figure out an acceptable dollar amount for someone who plays 20% of the snaps? Sounds like minimum to me. Hoping a year of Pro weight room work helps Fackrell develop. He has some gifts (he took Adrian Peterson out for the year) to develop, but that is putting trust in the defensive staff- which has been a losing proposition recently.
What could Kevin Greene have done for Fack?

Not sure he's out best player anymore.. Over last 4 seasons he has 7.5, 11, 6.5, 5 sacks... that 11 is great. Those other three are so/so... he isn't a tackling machine, and doesn't have many forced fumbles.. CMIII is definitely in the twilight of his career. I wouldn't depend on him for much going forward.

Like others have said.. Let him play out his contract then let him test the market,

Not sure he's out best player anymore.. Over last 4 seasons he has 7.5, 11, 6.5, 5 sacks... that 11 is great. Those other three are so/so... he isn't a tackling machine, and doesn't have many forced fumbles.. CMIII is definitely in the twilight of his career. I wouldn't depend on him for much going forward.

Like others have said.. Let him play out his contract then let him test the market,
I wonder if he had some great playmakers around him if he wouldn't be back to being his old self? Doesn't seem like he's had much help. Tough to do it all alone.

Is that sort of like Perry's performance with and without Mathews? Seems like a different player.

I wonder if he had some great playmakers around him if he wouldn't be back to being his old self? Doesn't seem like he's had much help. Tough to do it all alone.

Maybe Guys like Nick Perry and Julius Peppers were playmakers this year because Matthews was getting more attention.
Perry had 11 sacks and Peppers in his limited playing time had 7.5. The team as a whole had 40 which was tied for 6th in the league. The Defensive line wasn't the issue with the Packers this season. At times it wasn't great but when your secondary is getting shredded and the QB is able to find open receivers in the secondary as quickly and as easily as the opposing QBs did this year, it is actually quite amazing the D was able to get 40 sacks.

Priority Number one has to be improve the secondary.

Lang's Market value is in the $8.5 mil/year range
Tretter is in the $8.5 mil/year range
Cook around $3.5/year
Perry around 8.5/year
Hyde has to be 3-4/year
Goode is 1mil/year

Peppers is already an UFA so letting him walk does nothing for the cap.
Shields would give us 9 million in cap space

Total cap available is about 35.5 million + Shields 9 leaves 44.5 million.

Sign Lang or Tretter, Cook, Perry, Hyde and Goode and thats 24-26 million right there. Add 6 million for the rookies and you are at 30-32 million. That doesn't really leave a lot of room for a free agent CB and the typical cap roll over. Not to mention that leaves one of Lang or Tretter walk.

Back