BadgerMens BB Thread 2023/24

The bums of WI don't even deserve to go to the NCAA tourney have now lost 6 of their last 8 games. I don't think this team is even going to get to 20 wins. Last 3 games is vs #13 IL then vs Rutgers and finish at Purdue. so lose 2 of the last 3 and finish 19-12 that could be a team that is on the bubble of getting in.

Last edited:
If this continues, Gard is going to be out. Sad thing last night is that stoppage of play. The Badgers had the Hoosiers gassed, and it showed on the court. We have more depth. If it wouldn't have happened, the Badgers might have buried them.

One thing for certain. Crowl is no match up for anyone who is 6-10 or more. He kind of melts into the background.

Chucky played well, but had problems on his drives. Like you said, intimidated near the bucket.

Blackwell needs to be on the floor more.

I'm not certain Gard knows how to coach this time to be honest.

I wonder who we'll see coming in to run the program after this season ends?
I think Blackwell is the only player with balls. I wonder where he'll go?

The bums of WI don't even deserve to go to the NCAA tourney have now lost 6 of their last 8 games. I don't think this team is even going to get to 20 wins. Last 3 games is vs #13 IL then vs Rutgers and finish at Purdue. so lose 2 of the last 3 and finish 19-12 that could be a team that is on the bubble of getting in.
Unfortunately, if Bucky doesn't win the next 3 or the Big 10 tournament, I don't think they're even on the bubbke.

Bucky Basketball is just pissing me off. It's hard for me to believe that we are not playing viable and possibly good shooters - offense weapons - because they are not very good on defense. This is just Asinine.

For Christ's Sake, Basketball is an offense game. This is not Hockey, Football, or my believed Rugby where a defense can prevent - prevent - an offense from scoring. All defense in basketball does is force opponents into difficult shots and/or slow them down; it does not and cannot shut an opponent out.

Essegian apparently is a good shot, but doesn't get enough playing time because of defense to get in a scoring groove. I think there are others. We stopped using the new guy (Storr) like we used to because of his defense. I think there are others who aren't allowed into the offensive game to get in a groove.

Gard must go. His basketball strategy is middle school'ish.

Last edited:
Bucky Basketball is just pissing me off. It's hard for me to believe that we are not playing viable and possibly good shooters - offense weapons - because they are not very good on defense. This is just Asinine.

For Christ's Sake, Basketball is an offense game. This is not Hockey, Football, or my believed Rugby where a defense can prevent - prevent - an offense from scoring. All defense in basketball does is force opponents into difficult shots and/or slow them down; it does not and cannot shut an opponent out.

Essegian apparently is a good shot, but doesn't get enough playing time because of defense to get in a scoring groove. I think there are others. We stopped using the new guy like we used to because of his defense. I think there are others who aren't allowed into the offensive game to get in a groove.

Gard must go. His basketball strategy is middle school'ish.
The sad part is that Essegian is going to end up taking his game somewhere else. Probably to Indiana, after this season. I can't blame him. Storr is going to end up hitting the draft, because it isn't worth his while playing for Wisconsin, and Gard. The same might be said about Blackwell. I think he's going to jump ship through the portal, along with Winter, who is not being utilized like he should be. Winter will probably end up at Minnesota, and that pipeline to suburban Twin Cities teams is going to dry up real fast. I also see the possibility of us losing the commits we already have. Whether or not Gard is retained, there's going to be some major defections. I can't say I blame any of them who do leave. A team with so much talent, and such poor coaching.

Comments from the past were that Gard had to have a chance to get his own people out there, not carry overs and commits from a past regime. He's got them, and they're good, but he isn't up to the task of making them a solid team.

There's something seriously wrong when you see this meltdown every year.

Blackwell will hurt the most if (when) he leaves. I love his effort. And, he's not afraid or timid. He just goes. He should be starting and should be leading his team. A guy like him could drag people along to better play.

I don't know about Essegian because I hardly get to see him play. I'll trust TW.

I don't really think these guys have quit, but I don't think they believe in themselves. To me, it certainly seems like they've resigned themselves to the inevitability that they are going to lose. They seem timid and afraid against bigger and better athletes. We're not used to seeing that.

Also, these guys don't appear as together as the Final Four groups or even last year's team. They just don't seem to have mental toughness or toughness. It's very frustrating.

I think this is on coaching. Not recognizing that Blackwell would run over and through a brick wall for his team and that could pull them out of these dulldrums is mindbogling. If Essegian is a good shot, you need him setting up and sending Blackwell and Chucky to the lane and kicking it out if they don't get a shot.

From what I've seen, I think Illinois is going to stomp them this weekend leading to losing against Rutgers and Purdue and an early out in the B1G which will have them on the outside looking in for the tournament.

I think Gard needs to get Bucky into the Elite Eight to keep his job.

The excitement of this year is just gone for me - and YES, it is all about me.

Bo Ryan knew Gard would have never got this job on his own. That's why he resigned part way thru the season. Had he retired before the season they would have interviewed other coaches. By Gard getting the job handed to him part way thru the season it was just eaiser to take the interm tag off him at the end of the season.

I think you guys are seeing exactly what I am. Gard just simply is an old school four corners, wait for an open "set shot" coach, who thinks you're supposed to wind down the shot clock to under 6 seconds, then be forced to put up a frantic shot before it expires. I don't know how often I've seen players poised to drive to the bucket, to create, but that darned clock isn't down far enough, as far as Gard is concerned.

Every time I see them go into their stall game, I want to hit the panic button. I know that they are about to throw the game away, through coaching stupidity.

So much talent, and a lot of it is going to be shown somewhere else. It's time for a complete sideline overhaul. I don't think anyone should stay, except maybe Krabenholtz, who is one helluva recruiter from what I heard. Maybe move him into that role? Hard to say. But, like in football, the culture has to change.

Watching Marcus Domask tear the Badgers up. They never recruited this kid out of HS in Waupun. They did recruit him when he entered the portal for his final season, but he chose Illinois. Now he's showing Wisconsin what they failed to recognize back in 2019, when they didn't even give him a look.

Wahl finally saying; "Screw it!," and taking his moves to the bucket instead of standing outside like Gard seems to want him to do. It's paying off, but as a team, they've already started the off-season. Thanks Gard!

Zero shock Badgers take another L. Question is can they even win a game? Rutgers won't be easy but should beat them. Then Purdue will whip UW. Badgers might not even win a game in Big Ten tourney. It's possible this team won't even get to the NCAA tourney.

Back