BadgerMens BB Thread 2023/24

So if UW gives Gard teh boot who would you want to see them hire? I do not watch enough basketball to know who might be a good coach. All I know is like the football program this schools needs to make a hire that is going to change the culture of the program. No more do we need a slow ploding offense that focuses on defense. No kid that is worth anything wants to come to a program like that. They want to shoot the ball and not play D. So hopefully they find a coach that is high engery and offense first coach to bring new life to this program.

I doubt Gard goes anywhere because I don't think they can afford another huge buyout, but unlike most years he won't be extended and his buyout drops next year. With all of the complaints about their offense, which I share, UW teams under Bennett, Ryan and Gard have always been known for playing good defense. That's long gone. Hell, they scored 83 points today. I'm not sure Bo ever lost a game where his team scored 83. They can't even hang their hats on the one thing they were known for.

At one time, I thought about Tony Bennett. I thought he'd be a good pick. Now, he's rooted in the Virginia landscape, and isn't going to leave no matter how tempting it might be. Anyhow, I think not. Just not 100% positive. Problem? He's 62.

Tracy Webster. Forget that he played for the Badgers. Look at his background, learning the game from the sidelines. Then, consider the dynamics of the game he played as a Badger. He walked the walk, not just talked the talk.

He's also been proven to be one heckuva recruiter in the Midwest. He's got tentacles into the Midwest that would bring in a lot of kids who know how to play basketball at the level it has to be played in college. He hasn't been a head coach, but I think he has the chops. Also, he's 52.

Some people believe Krabby should get the job. Let's just say I disagree, just like I didn't believe that Jim Leonhard should have gotten the head coaching job in football. Time to change the culture. Krabby's a great coach, and recruiter but..... culture.

Pat Kelsey, who's the HC at Charleston I believe? He's got both coaching skills and knows how to recruit. You don't turn low level schools into winners without having the recruiting skills, because you're selling limited opportunities to grab the brass ring heading into the NBA. I think he could boost the program. But, he might not even consider Wisconsin. He's under 50 I think. Has a lot of mileage left.

At one time, I thought about Tony Bennett. I thought he'd be a good pick. Now, he's rooted in the Virginia landscape, and isn't going to leave no matter how tempting it might be. Anyhow, I think not. Just not 100% positive. Problem? He's 62.

Tracy Webster. Forget that he played for the Badgers. Look at his background, learning the game from the sidelines. Then, consider the dynamics of the game he played as a Badger. He walked the walk, not just talked the talk.

He's also been proven to be one heckuva recruiter in the Midwest. He's got tentacles into the Midwest that would bring in a lot of kids who know how to play basketball at the level it has to be played in college. He hasn't been a head coach, but I think he has the chops. Also, he's 52.

Some people believe Krabby should get the job. Let's just say I disagree, just like I didn't believe that Jim Leonhard should have gotten the head coaching job in football. Time to change the culture. Krabby's a great coach, and recruiter but..... culture.

Pat Kelsey, who's the HC at Charleston I believe? He's got both coaching skills and knows how to recruit. You don't turn low level schools into winners without having the recruiting skills, because you're selling limited opportunities to grab the brass ring heading into the NBA. I think he could boost the program. But, he might not even consider Wisconsin. He's under 50 I think. Has a lot of mileage left.
What about TJ Otzelberger? Head coach at Iowa State? Saw his name thrown around on social media. WI boy. Borin in Milwaukee, played at Thomas Moore HS, and couple years at UW-Whitewater.

Reactions: TW

Some people believe Krabby should get the job.

Agree Bennett isn't leaving Virginia, but even if he did, would we want him? He's completely old-school like his dad. Pack line defense and a plodding offense. I don't mind that style but I'm not sure recruits and boosters would be impressed. UVA is averaging less than 65ppg this year. The Badgers look positively dynamic by comparison.

Agree on Krabby. 100% he should not be the next coach. He's part of the reason for the mediocre recruiting. Gard and his staff seem too impressed with skills and don't understand that you need more "athletes" mixed in.

Watching Marcus Domask tear the Badgers up. They never recruited this kid out of HS in Waupun. They did recruit him when he entered the portal for his final season, but he chose Illinois. Now he's showing Wisconsin what they failed to recognize back in 2019, when they didn't even give him a look.
He wasn't recruited by ANY D1 program out of Waupun, started out at Eastern Kentucky and transferred to FCS Southern Ill, watched him play in the state playoffs a couple times, didn't scream D1 player at the time TW.

* Note, his dad's family was from Iola, went to church with them at Sacred Heart.. His Aunt Jenny was in the same grade as me and we went through CCD together and had a couple of dates, movies type thing. Great family.

Reactions: TW
Bucky BBall has a lot more problems than missing on recruiting Marcus Domash.

Back