Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy head dream coaching staff

Just for discussion, then:

Is MM then a good head coach or a good QB coach who developed AR into a superstar who could win for anyone?

What do you expect peers to say, since MM could be asked to comment on them, too?
Its the chicken vs egg quandry. I think MM is a good offensive coach. I think MM is a very good QB coach. I think MM kind of chokes up in the big games. Even our Super Bowl win was slipping away until Clay forced that fumble.
On the other hand, Pugger is right, Bostick does his job and blocks the guy so Jordy gets the onside kick??? This is moot.

Its the chicken vs egg quandry. I think MM is a good offensive coach. I think MM is a very good QB coach. I think MM kind of chokes up in the big games. Even our Super Bowl win was slipping away until Clay forced that fumble.
On the other hand, Pugger is right, Bostick does his job and blocks the guy so Jordy gets the onside kick??? This is moot.

In that Super Bowl it began to slip away when we lost our defensive leader to a broken collarbone. It was no coincidence the Steelers began to move the ball when Woodson got hurt.

When you compare McCarthy to any other coaches record wise he's more successful than and coach outside of New England. And if you take a deep dive into their records he's very comparable to Holmgren. As to the offense it's consistently in the top 10 in the league and in many years top 5 or 6.

Lol at this topic. It was me who brought up that dreaded Seahags NFC collapse game. Just thinking about it pisses off every single Packer fan alive, so there's no surprise any of us get our knickers in a knot.

Another thing I will never forget was when I read Bob McGinn pointing out to me a week or so after the collapse game that in McCarthy's post game interview he actually said he would not have changed a thing.
Ha-Ha, McGinn went on to write that MM looked out of touch with reality.
Now perhaps McCarthy was still stunned after what had just transpired, but he did look absolutely daft at that time.

Mike is about to coach his 11th season in Green Bay. After 10 full seasons it's easy to cherry pick a few games and criticize the hell out of him, but that NFC Championship game lists as perhaps the biggest coaching blunder in Packer history.....lol.
Pot stirrer! sp)

Here's the one specific (yes, critical) blunder Mike McCarthy made after the Capers D decided to take a knee after an INT... he trusted the Capers D to make one critical stop with a 12 point lead and less than four minutes left by going conservative with run plays, looking to burn the clock or Seattle's timeouts should the offense fail to convert!

Here's the last three critical drives against (plus one critical 2-pt conversion) against the Capers D:
(1) 7 plays, 69 yards, 1:43, TD;
(2) 4 plays, 50 yards, 0:44, TD;
(3) 2-pt conversion;
(4) and finally in OT preventing Rodgers from even touching the ball: 6 plays, 87 yards, TD and the win.

One of those doesn't happen and Packers win. Four opportunities, four missed chances.

Now throw in the special teams blunders (Bad punt, and on-side decision) and you have to admit, much had to fall into place to expose MM's decision to run three as the blunder it was.

Now granted, perhaps I'm biased because I like McCarthy and believe he's an excellent coach, team leader and offensive mind. But why is Capers still here? This D has quite a history of folding when there is a critical drive, proving it once again as recently as their last game!

So here's where I fault McCarthy: Not just for going conservative, but for going conservative with the Capers D. That is why believe MM needs to keep the pedal on until up three scores late in the game until this D can prove it can consistently make critical stops.

Last edited:
Pot stirrer! sp)

Here's the one specific (yes, critical) blunder Mike McCarthy made after the Capers D decided to take a knee after an INT... he trusted the Capers D to make one critical stop with a 12 point lead and less than four minutes left by going conservative with run plays, looking to burn the clock or Seattle's timeouts should the offense fail to convert!

Here's the last three critical drives against (plus one critical 2-pt conversion) against the Capers D:
(1) 7 plays, 69 yards, 1:43, TD;
(2) 4 plays, 50 yards, 0:44, TD;
(3) 2-pt conversion;
(4) and finally in OT preventing Rodgers from even touching the ball: 6 plays, 87 yards, TD and the win.

One of those doesn't happen and Packers win. Four opportunities, four missed chances.

Now throw in the special teams blunders (Bad punt, and on-side decision) and you have to admit, much had to fall into place to expose MM's decision to run three as the blunder it was.

Now granted, perhaps I'm biased because I like McCarthy and believe he's an excellent coach, team leader and offensive mind. But why is Capers still here? This D has quite a history of folding when there is a critical drive, proving it once again as recently as their last game!

So here's where I fault McCarthy: Not just for going conservative, but for going conservative with the Capers D. That is why believe MM needs to keep the pedal on until up three scores late in the game until this D can prove it can consistently make critical stops.

He never had the so called petal to the metal in the Seattle game. We scored because of field position after the defense forced turnovers. Our offensive stats especially the passing game were not good and that's being kind.

While Capers is part of the problem he is not the only one. #38 got torched in OT. If my memory serves me right our star lb took himself out of the game. As the late John McKay was once asked "how do you feel about your players execution". His answer-- "I'm in favor of it"

When you compare McCarthy to any other coaches record wise he's more successful than and coach outside of New England. And if you take a deep dive into their records he's very comparable to Holmgren. As to the offense it's consistently in the top 10 in the league and in many years top 5 or 6.

Just to rehash - (1) to what records are you referring? If, as some of us count success, it's Super Bowl victories, he's tied with several and behind some. Admittedly, he's tied with Holmgren, the only Packer coach to lose a Super Bowl. (Just think what beating Denver would have done to overall bragging rights) (2) Although NE has had Brady, MM has had Rodgers - how smart do you have to be to have a top of the line offense under those circumstances?

Just to rehash - (1) to what records are you referring? If, as some of us count success, it's Super Bowl victories, he's tied with several and behind some. Admittedly, he's tied with Holmgren, the only Packer coach to lose a Super Bowl. (Just think what beating Denver would have done to overall bragging rights) (2) Although NE has had Brady, MM has had Rodgers - how smart do you have to be to have a top of the line offense under those circumstances?

You have to be damn smart. How many did Payton win with Brees? Manning in Indy? How many did Marino win with Shula? Look at McCarthy compared to Tomlin and Payton. Regular season wins. Playoff wins. What was Holmgren without Favre? Winning a Super Bowl is more than just a QB a HC. It's matchups. It's luck. How many repeat winners have we had the last 10 years?

Back