Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy head dream coaching staff

okay, well you started out this conversation with "I'll play Devils advocate", which is what i assumed you were doing. bad assumption on my part. you obviously were personally vested in this argument.

you are correct in your assessment that you'll never change my mind. i do believe in my heart of hearts that this game was poorly coached. this was a classic game of one of the best defenses in the nfl vs. one of the best offenses in the nfl. and in theory, strong defense wins out in the playoffs. but lo and behold - for over three and and a half quarters of this game the great offense was beating the great defense. then the stone cold killer took his foot off the gas and tried to coast to a victory. almost immediately, the wheels fell off. my theory is that this is due at least in part to the players not having confidence in mccarthy's decision to play it safe because they've seen that movie before and it didn't end well.

now, was this a subpar game for rodgers? yes, of course it was. as you said - he was playing hurt. and as i said - he was playing against a top-notch defense. those two factors combined do not bode well for a strong statistical performance. but subpar day or not - he was doing enough to win. and then the coach took the ball out of his hands.

did special teams let us down? absolutely they did. many times. this was one of the worst special teams performances in packers history in my opinion. so yeah, if they had played well, we might have overcome mccarthy's bad decisions. but they didn't.

you can certainly disagree with me. everyone has that right. but stating your opinion and doing the mic drop (i'm out) doesn't make you right.
They were beating that great defense because Seattle turned the ball over and handed us field position. We sustained one drive all day. Never said I was right. Just pointing out some facts. Being consecutive did not lose that game. If not for inept red zone execution that's a 20 point lead or more. Then add in the special teams issues.

Lol at this topic. It was me who brought up that dreaded Seahags NFC collapse game. Just thinking about it pisses off every single Packer fan alive, so there's no surprise any of us get our knickers in a knot.

Another thing I will never forget was when I read Bob McGinn pointing out to me a week or so after the collapse game that in McCarthy's post game interview he actually said he would not have changed a thing.
Ha-Ha, McGinn went on to write that MM looked out of touch with reality.
Now perhaps McCarthy was still stunned after what had just transpired, but he did look absolutely daft at that time.

Mike is about to coach his 11th season in Green Bay. After 10 full seasons it's easy to cherry pick a few games and criticize the hell out of him, but that NFC Championship game lists as perhaps the biggest coaching blunder in Packer history.....lol.

McCarthy , dream coaching staff?????? Now thats a laughable joke right there. Nothing above average as a coach...but I know we are stuck with him for awhile yet.

Lol at this topic. It was me who brought up that dreaded Seahags NFC collapse game. Just thinking about it pisses off every single Packer fan alive, so there's no surprise any of us get our knickers in a knot.

Another thing I will never forget was when I read Bob McGinn pointing out to me a week or so after the collapse game that in McCarthy's post game interview he actually said he would not have changed a thing.
Ha-Ha, McGinn went on to write that MM looked out of touch with reality.
Now perhaps McCarthy was still stunned after what had just transpired, but he did look absolutely daft at that time.

Mike is about to coach his 11th season in Green Bay. After 10 full seasons it's easy to cherry pick a few games and criticize the hell out of him, but that NFC Championship game lists as perhaps the biggest coaching blunder in Packer history.....lol.

If Ha Ha makes the play or Brandon Bostick doesn't try to be the hero we wouldn't still be grousing about that game today. Mike wasn't great that day but neither were some of our players.

McCarthy , dream coaching staff?????? Now thats a laughable joke right there. Nothing above average as a coach...but I know we are stuck with him for awhile yet.

If Mike was as mediocre as you suggest we wouldn't have winning seasons every year. Before you say Aaron Rodgers you have to remember who developed him in the first place. It appears Mike is more highly regarded by his peers than he is by some in the media and fans.

Just for discussion, then:

Is MM then a good head coach or a good QB coach who developed AR into a superstar who could win for anyone?

What do you expect peers to say, since MM could be asked to comment on them, too?

If Ha Ha makes the play or Brandon Bostick doesn't try to be the hero we wouldn't still be grousing about that game today. Mike wasn't great that day but neither were some of our players.
True enough, Pugger.

Well, everyone is correct in the fact that all these little things like ST's and Ha Ha's blunder affected the possible outcome (like any game in the NFL); however, nobody can deny that MM had a let's play not to lose mentality and the team followed him. We see the examples in just 4 passes all 2nd half and Burnett's lay down after the INT. (That would never have happened if he was not told to do so or had the not lose mentality in his mind already)

The point is the game is on MM overall. You don't pass only 4 times all second half with only a 16 point lead in the NFL playoffs. Especially, with a pro bowl and HOF QB on your roster. You put the ball in his hands on a consistent basis. That would be like being up 15-20 points in the playoffs in the NBA finals and not giving the ball to Jordan or Lebron. It is just stupid.

And let's talk about the in-game blunders. When have a not to lose mentality, your players will make mistakes because they are afraid to make mistakes (a mindset). I will put partial blame on the players; however, I put 75% on MM for his not playing to win and playing not to lose mentality.

Im not a big fan of MM to say the least. Rodgers has zero respect for him, he's stale, predictable, and has outlived his effectiveness

Back