Face it, Pettine has a tough task trying to fix the defense

Go look at the rosters from the Jets in 2009-2012 when Pettine was there. You'd say the same thing. They had one pro bowler in most of those defenses. Darrel Revis then Antonio Cromartie. They went from 16 or 17 to number 1 in points allowed and yards allowed in one season. I'm not saying I expect the same thing but it wasn't like the entire defense for the Jets was All Pro players.

and that's what gives me hope.

well, that and the fact that i think a few of our players are better than they were allowed to be under the old system. and i think we haven't seen the real vince biegel or montravius adams yet.

Kevin King, Demarius Randall, Lenzy Pipkins, Josh Hawkins, Donatello Brown

HaHa Clinton-Dix, Kentrell Bryce, Josh Jones, Marwin Evans, Jermaine Whitehead

Joe Thomas, Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan

Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, Vince Biegel, Kyler Fackrell, Reggie Gilbert

Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Montravius Adams, Dean Lowry, Quentin Dial
-----------

Jesus Christ could come down off the cross, and he'd have a hard time making a top 10 defense out of that group in 2018. Gutey has work to do.
That's the harsh reality of the situation. This isn't a one year turn around. Hopefully Pettine can work a little magic but talent definitely needs upgrading.

if you can come away from this offseason with one player that does for the defense what aaron rodgers does for the offense, you can fix this team in a hurry. big if.

but if you extrapolate from here - we can achieve good enough results if we just add two to three impact players - either through free agency, the draft, a trade or any combination of these.

if you can come away from this offseason with one player that does for the defense what aaron rodgers does for the offense, you can fix this team in a hurry. big if.

but if you extrapolate from here - we can achieve good enough results if we just add two to three impact players - either through free agency, the draft, a trade or any combination of these.

That's a big ask, there are few players in the league who do for their D what AR does for our O. But not impossible. Worth noting Earl Thomas was a #14 pick, and he clearly fits what you're talking about. In this draft that looks like Derwin James or Roquan Smith, but have to remember, these guys rarely become stars and leaders overnight. If it happens it's going to be a 2-3 year thing, unless AR can actually carry an improving but not great D to a title.

That's a big ask, there are few players in the league who do for their D what AR does for our O.

i agree. that's why i am saying we can achieve results that are "good enough" to get our defense at a level that will carry us to the final goal of a lombardi trophy simply by adding a couple of impact players. you don't have to have 11 impact players on defense to have a top 10 defense.

i agree. that's why i am saying we can achieve results that are "good enough" to get our defense at a level that will carry us to the final goal of a lombardi trophy simply by adding a couple of impact players. you don't have to have 11 impact players on defense to have a top 10 defense.

That's the key. Hell, I'm not sure where this defense ended up in the rankings, but just think if it's a top 20, 15, 10, or 5 defense.

That's the key. Hell, I'm not sure where this defense ended up in the rankings, but just think if it's a top 20, 15, 10, or 5 defense.

I don't think it's just about a ranking. The 2015 Packers were #12 in the league, but no one here would seriously say that defense was a strength or good enough to win a SB. I think there's a playmaking element to it - making impact plays, turnovers and things like that. And I think there's a situational element to it, really being able to excel in one area and being able to force an O to be one dimensional. Goal should be top 5. If you look back at the past 5 SB winners I believe they all had defensive rankings in or near the top 5, and at least 1 or two were #1 ranked Ds. Teams that play sound, tough D can slow down the offensive powerhouses. They just do. That's the goal. Have to stop looking at it as "a defense just good enough to let Rodgers win."

Sorta agree with above.

I don't think you have to have a defense that is top-5, but you need to have a defense that is sound, creates turnovers, and forces teams to "work" to score. The Pats might be a good example this year. They aren't an '85 Bears type unit but they don't give up easy scores and make you earn your points. Enough that I believe they are a top 5-10 scoring defense. That's really the number that matters. Giving up some yards is not nearly as bad as giving up easy points.

If they can just find a way to be better in situations (like 3rd and long) and suffer fewer stupid breakdowns (like blown coverages), the numbers can change pretty quickly. Again, they aren't going to be a top-5 group next year but with a few key player acquisitions and some smarter play, they can be a top-10 scoring defense and that might just be enough.

Those Jets defenses, even without Pro Bowlers cause we know that selection process is a joke, had better overall talent than this group does without a doubt. I really don't get why people put so much stock in number of pro-bowlers as an indication of team talent.

The packers Def is not very talented. Even after all the picks TT invested in them. TT made bad picks. Pettine has a tough tough job ahead of him.

He has this offseason/preseason to cut out the deadwood and get rid of some under performing vets, bad picks, and bad UDFA picks and get a pass.. It's the perfect time to complete tear down and rebuild the defense. Will the Packers take advantage?

The average NFL defensive rank for an eventual Super Bowl champion is 6.8 (seventh).
That tells us we need to be top 10 to win the SB. Will take a few years at least.

Back