Greg Jennings: Mike McCarthy held Packers back in postseason

by that time we were already down 24-0. it was clear that the team was not playing well on any level (except for punts). it wasn't the deferral of the opening kickoff that did us in. that's just one possession. the packers first four possessions ended with a missed 41-yard field goal, a fumble, a 3-and-out, and an interception. only one of those outcomes could even remotely be tied to coaching decisions. if we were counting on our offense to overcome a bad defense, it would have been nice if the offense had actually decided to show up.
I understand how the game went. I was referring to Jennings point that "in big games- MM was the biggest obstacle". Having the ball to start the second half did nothing for us! The mistake was at the beginning of the game when he 'deferred'. You have to take the ball in that situation or you have NO chance, as was proven.

Yes, I understand that execution and player mistakes have happened, but the 'play not to lose' attitude really shows up in these big games. No, MM didn't screw up the on side kick against Seattle, but it should have NEVER come to that. It's an aura around MM. He plays 'Not to lose".

It's an aura around MM. He plays 'Not to lose".

i agree with that. he does do that. i've used those very same words. but i don't think the deferral was a part of that philosophy. i think the theory was to stop them on the first drive before they could get in sync (i realize that didn't happen), get the ball back in good field position and then do what they have done so many times before manage the clock well enough to get the last score in the first half and then start the second half with another score. but let's face it - the offense had a bad day. nothing mm could have done would have made a difference. rodgers had a subpar day. cook only caught half of the balls thrown his way. cobb and jordy had low catch rates (for them). we had a fumble and an interception in the first half. and even our "money" kicker had a crappy day. i turned the game off at half time.

Jmike ran his mouth all the time so you expect it from him. It's easy to be critical of a situation after you leave it. I think it is pretty childish for Jennings to still sit out there and talk negatively about his time is Green Bay. If he was so unhappy or if things were so bad he could have left sooner. Even if he's 100% correct, it only sounds like sour grapes at this point. By all accounts Jennings is a great person both on and off the field so his running his mouth would be considered out of character therefore he gets called out for it.

As for MM, was he really out-coached in the playoffs last year or did the defense just let them down vs. Atlanta. Belichick is the exception and is by far the best coach currently active.

Belichich is 26-10 in the playoffs with 5 Championships.
Andy Reid has an 11-12 record with 0 championships
John Harbaugh is 10-5 with 1 ring
Pete Carroll 10-7 with 1 ring
McCarthy is 10-8 with 1 ring

There are no other active coaches with more than 1 ring.

I hear what you are saying, eye; however, all those coaches do not have Aaron Rodgers. He is the best I have ever seen. Even if he is in the top 5 ever, none of the other coaches you mentioned have that QB play. MM does. That is why I do not give him a pass on this. Or TT for that matter.

I hear what you are saying, eye; however, all those coaches do not have Aaron Rodgers. He is the best I have ever seen. Even if he is in the top 5 ever, none of the other coaches you mentioned have that QB play. MM does. That is why I do not give him a pass on this. Or TT for that matter.

And other than 2015 when was the offense really the problem? Special Teams and Defense have been the let down. Yes MM is the head coach but you can't blame MM for Bostick botching the on-side kick. GB would have been overwhelming favorites to win the SB in 2014. MM should be 12-7 with 2 titles and Bill Belichick should be 25-11 with 4 titles. 2015 vs Arizona, Rodgers got them to OT only to have a blown coverage and multiple blown tackles kill them in one drive. Not sure they could have won it all but a single play here or there can change a season.

I blame MM and TT for not having more championships too but at the same time, I don't know who could do better.

Aaron Rodgers defends Mike McCarthy after Greg Jennings' comments

Rodgers responded in defense of his coach, saying he’s more concerned with the opinions of his teammates and coaching staff.
“I’ve made it pretty well known how I feel about Mike,” Rodgers said. “He’s our leader and...we follow his lead and we love Mike. We believe in him, and he believes in us, and so we got his back.”

My big criticism of McCarthy is that he still trusts and sticks with a defensive scheme for too long that has shown ample evidence that it does not work. (It's not because of lack of talent. If so how does a "meh" Casey Hayward leave and become a Top 3 CB in stats?) Our defense has not been relevant since Reggie White. I'm surprised he does because he likes to protect his lead early, which requires a defense you can depend on to do so.

That said, MM has won 104 games in 10 seasons which ranks 3rd ALL-TIME in NFL history! He does a lot right!

Last edited:
Both points are right. He does win a lot of games, but let's face it, the talent on the field has won it. Without Rodgers, the Packers would be a 6 win team every year. He's the backbone of what creates wins.

Rodgers has to believe in him. He's his guy. He put him in a position to make the HOF. You gotta love and respect someone who's made you probably one of the top 3 to 5 QBs of all time, because the system is gauged to your talents, and your talents were made for the system.

Like Oakleaf said, the defense has been the weak link, and if McCarthy was a "great coach," he wouldn't stand back and look at it fail year after year. The point on Casey Hayward is on target. A lot of defensive players leave GB and end up doing very well elsewhere.

I continue to believe that the only reason the Packers win is because of Rodgers and the offense. A year without Rodgers would expose McCarthy for all his weaknesses.

Back