Is Mark Cuban's 'hogs get slaughtered' comment about NFL becoming true?

84 million for the debate, 8 million for Monday Night Football. Oversaturation big time
You can't compare a one time event that was the 3rd most watch show in the history of television (non sports) as a trend. 8 million wins the night ratings wise 95% of the time

You made me curious. I like that! So, I went to the marketing charts to see what we're doing in relation to TV over the last several years. It was very interesting. Younger people have lowered their viewing time, while middle aged people stayed about the same. When it came to older people, they watch a little more compared to the past.

It doesn't show the question about sports, but it does have a tell on viewing habits in the process.

One thing that I wondered.... since young people are not watching TV so much, what's the reasoning? I came to the conclusion that texting, watching music videos and neat stuff on YouTube may be their alternative. Just guessing here, but it would make sense.

Watching TV
They are watching TV but on different platforms Hulu, VOD. I've been in the media business for 25 years. Working for various ad agencies. Sports still rule.

What Pack said. Young people don't like the traditional methods of watching things. So they just use different platforms. There may be a lag when the oldies die off a few years before sports is able to reach young people via streaming though

Also young people in my circle of friends don't watch every weekend. But when they do they go to a bar. Not sure that shows up in ratings

You've all pretty well nailed it in analysis, as far as I'm concerned. I thought about all those alternate methods of viewing, and what they're viewing. Another thing that comes into play is that TV ratings are always pretty well focused on what's available through free air TV, cable, and satellite. Alternate viewing sources, such as "on demand," etc., don't seem to be brought into the equation. I say that, but I'm not certain about the last sentence, because it never seems to be spelled out if it's included or not, in their estimations.

One of the things I'd like to see is an actual year by year breakdown of new, renewed, and total subscribers to service Sunday Ticket, with it broken down by state, and even country, since it's available through (I believe) Shaw in Canada, for our Canadian friends. Their cost was $99, but has risen to $199. There are also avenues being used to watch games in Europe, and other areas of the world.

So many things have changed over the last 20 years. It's a new world out there when it comes to viewing habits.

I wish they'd do away with Thursday...night games

Outside of the MAC, Thursday night football is an abomination that deserves to be torn asunder, cleansed with fire, and cast back into the abyss from whence it came.

If somehow the players got rid of Thursday Games in the next CBA, that'd be great.

Outside of the MAC, Thursday night football is an abomination that deserves to be torn asunder, cleansed with fire, and cast back into the abyss from whence it came.

If somehow the players got rid of Thursday Games in the next CBA, that'd be great.

Abomination. Asunder. Abyss. Whence.

You're going to make us pull out our dictionaries, aren't you college boy? :D

CBA only dictates number of games. Not days they are played on. Thursday night CBS package makes the league $$$$. It's not going away

You've all pretty well nailed it in analysis, as far as I'm concerned. I thought about all those alternate methods of viewing, and what they're viewing. Another thing that comes into play is that TV ratings are always pretty well focused on what's available through free air TV, cable, and satellite. Alternate viewing sources, such as "on demand," etc., don't seem to be brought into the equation. I say that, but I'm not certain about the last sentence, because it never seems to be spelled out if it's included or not, in their estimations.

One of the things I'd like to see is an actual year by year breakdown of new, renewed, and total subscribers to service Sunday Ticket, with it broken down by state, and even country, since it's available through (I believe) Shaw in Canada, for our Canadian friends. Their cost was $99, but has risen to $199. There are also avenues being used to watch games in Europe, and other areas of the world.

So many things have changed over the last 20 years. It's a new world out there when it comes to viewing habits.

Actually bar and restaurant viewing is not counted in Neilsen rating numbers either. They are trying to get some methodology to factor those numbers in. Remember Neilsen only measures top 50 markets now I believe in their estimate totals

I liked when Thursday games were reserved for Thanksgiving afternoon. Even on Thanksgiving that late game is a killer.

Dont know how you measure it but games seem especially bad on Thursdays. These guys hone themselves for that 7 day schedule, league does not care. In two weeks GB goes from Sunday 4:30 game against Dallas to Bears on Thursday - two big games in 4 days. It's BS

Back