Is The Packers OL Better?

I remember when people said Bakh should be cut, because his footwork sucked.

But that was a while back, wasn't it? I'm not saying that Val Lanen is the answer to replacing Bakh, but I am saying there's a reason they've considered penciling him in at LT, and a back up in the interior after Bakh gets back? I dunno.
Van Lanen was at best average in pass pro at UW. Versus speed rushers he was a turnstile.

In my opinion here is the bigger issue: Regardless of who GB has for the OL can the coaching staff stick with what works if it doesn't agree with the "analytics"? After all this was the coaching staff that screwed with the OL before the biggest game of the year to move away from what was working because the "metrics" said there was a better lineup.

That plus questionable talent and question marks on injuries could spell disaster. It's possible they will find a way to make it work. I look at this group same way I look at WR, there are more than likely 1 or 2 starting OL for GB that aren't on the roster yet.

None of the shortcomings that Van Lanen had in college are a deal killer. Two injury plagued years put him behind in developing his footwork, and body positioning against the pass rush. Anything lacking can be taught, and from what I gather, he's made some tremendous steps in getting rid of his bad tendencies.

Before he's thrown on the scrap heap, let's remember that the same complaints about Bakh's play was made when he came to the Packers, but people tend to forget. It wasn't until his third year that people started to believe that Bakh even belonged in the NFL.

I'll wait and see what the Packers staff can do with this kid. He reminds me a lot of a previous Packer people wanted to ditch. Mark Tauscher.

None of the shortcomings that Van Lanen had in college are a deal killer. Two injury plagued years put him behind in developing his footwork, and body positioning against the pass rush. Anything lacking can be taught, and from what I gather, he's made some tremendous steps in getting rid of his bad tendencies.

Before he's thrown on the scrap heap, let's remember that the same complaints about Bakh's play was made when he came to the Packers, but people tend to forget. It wasn't until his third year that people started to believe that Bakh even belonged in the NFL.

I'll wait and see what the Packers staff can do with this kid. He reminds me a lot of a previous Packer people wanted to ditch. Mark Tauscher.
Seems like they're trying to make him into the swing tackle. My impression is he might be a half step slow for the left side. Not stressing though. Gonna see what happens.

Seems like they're trying to make him into the swing tackle. My impression is he might be a half step slow for the left side. Not stressing though. Gonna see what happens.
I think that might be the case. A little slow for the left side, but on the right? Maybe. Kind of like Tauscher.

But, based on what I've seen of the Packers line coaching since LeFleur became head coach, I'm kind of like you on this. Gonna wait and see what happens. They seem to do some good things with guys we haven't thought too highly of.

I remember when people said Bakh should be cut, because his footwork sucked.

But that was a while back, wasn't it? I'm not saying that Val Lanen is the answer to replacing Bakh, but I am saying there's a reason they've considered penciling him in at LT, and a back up in the interior after Bakh gets back? I dunno.
No I don't remember that. Bakh came in as a rookie and was immediately and noticeably good with his feet in camp. The knock on him was strength, he was skinny but he had good footwork, which allowed him to fill in for the injured Bulaga right away.

If he's gotten reps at LT at OTAs it's because that's what they do in OTAs, they just put guys there for a quick look see.

Big issue with Bak for me is mid-season how is that knee holding up after playing half a season. How will it be when it starts getting cold out will he be sore will the knee get stiff as it gets cold?

Big issue with Bak for me is mid-season how is that knee holding up after playing half a season. How will it be when it starts getting cold out will he be sore will the knee get stiff as it gets cold?
For me it's that contract lol

No I don't remember that. Bakh came in as a rookie and was immediately and noticeably good with his feet in camp. The knock on him was strength, he was skinny but he had good footwork, which allowed him to fill in for the injured Bulaga right away.

If he's gotten reps at LT at OTAs it's because that's what they do in OTAs, they just put guys there for a quick look see.
That first season, Bakh had a lot of trouble on the job. A lot of fans wanted him out of there, saying he couldn't pick up the outside rush, and was not good enough to play there. You may not remember, but I do, when people screamed for his head. I saw his potential, and realized he had a decent future.

Where you got the impression he played well beats me. He showed promise, and improved as the season went along, but he was a victim of being a rookie. Most fans did not see that, they just saw that he wasn't good enough in their minds, to protect Rodgers' blind side. It was going to come, where he was that good, but even prior his second season, people were clamoring for the Packers to draft someone who could play left tackle.

Here's some stats from an old report I dug up on the internet about his first year in the league. He was not that good statistically, and that is exactly what fans saw.

David Bakhtiari (Among Starting LT Only, 250+ Snaps)
OverallPass BlockingRun BlockingPenaltiesSacks AllowedHits AllowedHurries Allowed
28th27th30th5 (28th)4 (25th)2 (12th)11 (14th)

That first season, Bakh had a lot of trouble on the job. A lot of fans wanted him out of there, saying he couldn't pick up the outside rush, and was not good enough to play there. You may not remember, but I do, when people screamed for his head. I saw his potential, and realized he had a decent future.

Where you got the impression he played well beats me. He showed promise, and improved as the season went along, but he was a victim of being a rookie. Most fans did not see that, they just saw that he wasn't good enough in their minds, to protect Rodgers' blind side. It was going to come, where he was that good, but even prior his second season, people were clamoring for the Packers to draft someone who could play left tackle.

Here's some stats from an old report I dug up on the internet about his first year in the league. He was not that good statistically, and that is exactly what fans saw.

David Bakhtiari (Among Starting LT Only, 250+ Snaps)
OverallPass BlockingRun BlockingPenaltiesSacks AllowedHits AllowedHurries Allowed
28th27th30th5 (28th)4 (25th)2 (12th)11 (14th)
I got the impression that he played well because he immediately filled in at LT as a 4th round rookie and played so well that he displaced Bryan Bulaga back to RT even when Bulaga was healthy again. And bear in mind with those 2013 stats his rookie year, half the year he was blocking for Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien and Matt Flynn - all a far cry from Aaron Rodgers, who busted his collarbone mid season (I believe it was Don Barclay over on the right who missed the block that led to Rodgers' injury against the Bears). I fully agree about his run blocking, his play strength was always a weak point and even in 2020 when he made All-pro he was guilty of missed blocks out in space, clear as day. I'm not crappng on the guy and I love him and have gone to bat for him but frankly he's probably a little overrated as an overall LT.

Anyway I just don't see a Cole Van Lanen comparison. Different build, different body type, different strengths and weaknesses. We are not set really at either OG position though we have a lot of competition, I would love to see him step up there.

Back