Meet New Wisconsin FB Coach Luke Fickell

Fickell's statement about 300 miles isn't something cut in stone. Look at his rosters over the years, and you'll find that his teams are active in recruiting all over the US. It's more a statement that they will fight like hell to get the best players out there, in that 300 mile radius, not walk away, figuring someone else is going to grab them so why bother.
13 of his 19 in the 2022 class were within 300 of Cincinnati or close. Majority from Ohio. I’ve looked at his classes and most are ranked 40-60. His DNA is developing kids. See Ridder and Gardner. Which is not a bad thing.

13 of his 19 in the 2022 class were within 300 of Cincinnati or close. Majority from Ohio. I’ve looked at his classes and most are ranked 40-60. His DNA is developing kids. See Ridder and Gardner. Which is not a bad thing.
In my opinion, UC and UW are 2 different animals. The prestige of the B1G and UW will most likely bring a different talent level than at UC.

In my opinion, UC and UW are 2 different animals. The prestige of the B1G and UW will most likely bring a different talent level than at UC.
And different challenges especially academics

And different challenges especially academics
Yes and that part of his staff, knowing and navigating those challenges, will be key to their success as well. Good point.

Today's around Madison news is that Coach Fickell and Mac are willing to use coach position #10 and combine it and make Jimmy the associate head coach and director of player development with the responsibility of instate recruiting, he keeps his $ and contract for next season,if he doesn't like it he can walk away after a year and both parties are clean.

That is supposedly a plan B approach and the guy who told me that works in a certain department that would know..cough cough... now to be honest Jimmy is around but unavailable and isn't talking to anyone. Everything I am hearing it's 50/50 this works out.

Today's around Madison news is that Coach Fickell and Mac are willing to use coach position #10 and combine it and make Jimmy the associate head coach and director of player development with the responsibility of instate recruiting, he keeps his $ and contract for next season,if he doesn't like it he can walk away after a year and both parties are clean.

That is supposedly a plan B approach and the guy who told me that works in a certain department that would know..cough cough... now to be honest Jimmy is around but unavailable and isn't talking to anyone. Everything I am hearing it's 50/50 this works out.
Just me but not sure I like this. Associate HC is fine but I want some continuity in with recruiting and one and done does do it.

Just me but not sure I like this. Associate HC is fine but I want some continuity in with recruiting and one and done does do it.
The two guys he hired from U of C are still going to run recruiting top to bottom but they know Jimmy can go anywhere in the state and get open doors, I think the thought process is Pack he can stay close to his wife and home 98% time rather then out of state travel, I really think they want this to work but don't want the two bulls in the pen to fight later on if you get my drift.

The two guys he hired from U of C are still going to run recruiting top to bottom but they know Jimmy can go anywhere in the state and get open doors, I think the thought process is Pack he can stay close to his wife and home 98% time rather then out of state travel, I really think they want this to work but don't want the two bulls in the pen to fight later on if you get my drift.
Yeah I get it. Sounds like more an appeasement than anything and that typically that’s not a great ending. I get the idea. Not sure it’s optimal

Jim can do better. At worst take a year off enjoy the family see what offers come your way next year. Or say screw Madison leave the city take the best job that comes your way now and move on to new city and further your career.

Back