Morgan Burnett - Staying or leaving?

Just read that Spotrac is projecting Burnett could fetch more than $10M/yr on the free agent market.

IMO, that’s just too much.

Sure, he’s a versatile player and makes the defensive calls on the field, but for that kind of money you expect way more splash plays than he has produced on this current contract as well as a player who doesn’t miss playing time.

Just read that Spotrac is projecting Burnett could fetch more than $10M/yr on the free agent market.

IMO, that’s just too much.

Sure, he’s a versatile player and makes the defensive calls on the field, but for that kind of money you expect way more splash plays than he has produced on this current contract as well as a player who doesn’t miss playing time.
Not disagreeing here but if he can fetch that on the open market, he must be making enough splash plays in someones mind to warrant it. I'm for keeping him for the defensive leadership. Although, if you are going to lose your defensive play caller, this is the year to do it. With a new coordinator it will be a learning curve for whoever is on the field.

That's nuts. But here we see the folly of what happened with Micah Hyde. If MM/DC evaluated the guy correctly they'd see that he was a S, not a CB, and TT/Ball should have tried to re-sign him. Even at the UFA contract he signed with Buffalo his cap hit is around $6.7 per year, which is right around Burnett's cap hit for 2017. GB may have been able to keep him for even a little less than that if they tried earlier. Then we wouldn't need to worry about Burnett because at least we'd have a vet S on his second deal who could step in. As things now stand we may have to choose between vastly overpaying an injury prone vet on a third contract, or exposing the lack of depth on the roster once again and possibly taking a step back at the position... again.

Much is made of the injury thing with Burnett. I don't think its that big of a deal. I just looked at the next four safties in free agency this year and they all have been injured.

Lawrence Joyner played in all 16 in 1-4 seasons
Ricardo Allen played in all 16 in 1-3 seasons
Kenny Vaccaro played in all 16 in 1-5 seasons
Eric Reid played in all 16 in 2-5 seasons

Burnett has started every game he has played in in his career. He's missed some games but never missed an entire season. Football is a violent sport and guys get injured. About the only injury I can see holding against a player is multiple concussions because of the accumulative effect.

Back