Official Green Bay vs Chicago Thread

The more than Bears front office and fans believe that Fields is a super star, the better it is for the Packers. If they are willing to delude themselves, that's on them. I have a friend, who recently move to the mountains of Colorado for retirement, who is an avid Bears fan. In fact, he worked for them in a capacity I can't divulge. But, let's just say that when they drafted Fields in the first round of 2021, he got sick to his stomach. He thought they'd totally wasted a first round pick, because they panicked because QBs went 1 through 3.

Since his position was such that he was pretty much safe from wholesale changes in management and coaching changes, he lived through it all, since the days of McMahon, and he found it incredible how the organization has bought into so many journeymen QBs as being the "next super star."
NFL Sirius radio thinks the Bears FO has already decided to move on from Fields and will trade Fields and take Williams or Maye. I am hoping this happens. It will be just another dumb Bears move and set the team back years again as it rebuilds with another rookie QB.

PlayerPass YdsYds/AttAttCmpCmp %TDINTRate1st1st%20+40+LngSckSckY
10​
Jordan Love3843754734563.1301193.819535.65267729234
23​
Justin Fields24146.83542166116985.811331.94345839254

The fact that some of the media continue to refer to Justin Fields as a "superstar" is laughable (and yes, i saw an article this week that indeed called him a superstar). The only stat where Fields is better than Love is in INTs, but Love has actually thrown 55% more passes than Fields. And while Fields does run more, look at the sack/att ratios: Love is 29 sacks with 547 attempts (5.3%) while Fields is sacked 39 times with 354 attempts (11.0%) - Fields is sacked at TWICE the rate that Love is, and Love still has a higher completion %.
Love was a polarizing figure coming out of college. Some in the media thought he'd be a star, others thought he was a 5th round prospect. The way he has played this year honestly, people have been able to see what they want to see. If you hated the prospect then you will never get the two MNF games out of your head. If you loved the prospect, you see all the good stuff.

Fields on the other hand was hyped from Day 1. Media was in consensus that he would be a great player and they won't let go of it. They were appalled he didn't go higher in the draft. His issues are always someone else's fault. The WR, the OL, the OC. Never Fields. It's led us to this bizarre place where Jordan Love goes out and hangs 30+ on the road with an OL full of late round picks, throwing to rookies and UDFA, and that's seen as less of an accomplishment than Fields winning with Pro Bowl/big money guys at WR and TE, and high picks on the OL.

Some guys just never get the credit. Lot of people in the media now treat Love the same way media at the time treated Rodgers - back then they wouldn't forgive Rodgers for replacing Favre, now they won't forgive Love for replacing Rodgers. So it goes. The good thing is, it doesn't matter. If Love goes out and plays the way we know he can, they'll win that game and have a playoff berth that no one saw coming.

The key to winning this game IMO is:

No TO's- The Bears are 10th in the league in causing TO's. They have caused 18 TO's in the last 6 games.

Stuffing the Run- The Bears are 2nd in the league in running the football. You know we will get a huge dose of Herbert and Fields.

Protecting Love- The Bears are not great against the pass so if Love has time, we should be able to move the football.

Love has shown what you can do if the QB is brought along well.

Chicagos issues are not with Fields or the players. Chicagos problems have been for a long time that their coaches suck and can’t develop talent. It doesn’t matter who you play at QB they will fail and ruin their development and career.

Fields has enough talent to win. Swap him and Love and put Fields in the GB system right after he’s drafted and he would probably put up similar numbers to Love. Put Love in Chicago having to start right away and he’s probably already out of the league.

Love has shown what you can do if the QB is brought along well.

Chicagos issues are not with Fields or the players. Chicagos problems have been for a long time that their coaches suck and can’t develop talent. It doesn’t matter who you play at QB they will fail and ruin their development and career.

Fields has enough talent to win. Swap him and Love and put Fields in the GB system right after he’s drafted and he would probably put up similar numbers to Love. Put Love in Chicago having to start right away and he’s probably already out of the league.
Honestly, one of the questions around Fields coming out of college was his inability to scan the entire field and work through progressions. I don't think that has changed much, but Love has shown the composure in the pocket to work through the progressions (at least most of the time!) to find any open receivers. That's a huge difference, and I'm not sure Fields could be successful in ML's offense.

Honestly, one of the questions around Fields coming out of college was his inability to scan the entire field and work through progressions. I don't think that has changed much, but Love has shown the composure in the pocket to work through the progressions (at least most of the time!) to find any open receivers. That's a huge difference, and I'm not sure Fields could be successful in ML's offense.
If Love hadn’t sit for years his ability to scan the field wouldn’t be what it is today for sure… Love had plenty of issues/concerns coming out of college.

You can’t really compare Love and Fields cause their situations are too different. One had years on the bench with good developmental coaching and a HOF roll model. The other got thrown into a dumpster fire with crappy coaching.

Like Cheeser said. They're two different players, and you can't compare them. Also, I agree that Love wouldn't be in the position he is, had he been drafted by Chicago and thrown to the wolves like Fields has.

I've always been a proponent of a QB learning the game for at least one year, preferably two, before they end up the #1 on a team. I think it would be well worth it to teams to take their lumps until he's actually ready, not run scared that their jobs are in danger if they don't. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure way too often when it happens. So many of them lose their confidence and swagger that makes a QB successful.

But that's just my opinion, and it applies to a lot of QBs not necessarily all of them. Some will fail anyway, while others will make it big, even if they are thrown to the wolves. I'm just referring to the majority, who need to find their way, and take well to the guidance given.

The one drawback is that there are coaching staffs that will destroy the native ability of some of these guys, trying to change too much of what they do.

Saw this on CBS Sports

If the Packers beat the Bears to make the playoffs, they will be the youngest playoff team since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978. The future is bright for Love and Co. if that's the case.

Back