Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

On Jones, it's not a bad move but risky. You're rolling the dice on a 28-year-old RB staying healthy. The ceiling is 30 tops most times. If they use him smart as they have should be okay...over work him and you get a guy on IR. tc(

I agree with this, there is some risk. He's been injured at times, but I don't think there is any long-term risk.

The thing is, when you look at the numbers on the deal, it really starts to look like a 1yr contract. His salary goes to $11mil next year with a $17+mil CAP hit for '24. Almost no chance they leave that as is. I'm thinking they'll either redo the deal again, or let him go after June 1, 2024.

I agree with this, there is some risk. He's been injured at times, but I don't think there is any long-term risk.

The thing is, when you look at the numbers on the deal, it really starts to look like a 1yr contract. His salary goes to $11mil next year with a $17+mil CAP hit for '24. Almost no chance they leave that as is. I'm thinking they'll either redo the deal again, or let him go after June 1, 2024.
The thing is I can get an as talented rookie in round 3 or 4 o a rookie deal with fresher legs...now you're paying a lot more for that risk that if it goes south you get nothing. NFL is a business and from that standpoint, it's just not that smart of a move. Just my take.

My old pal sc)) Jersey Al made a good point on some of this the other day....

What took so long - Speaking of the Raiders, I predicted weeks ago on a my podcast that the Raiders would emerge as the top destination for Rodgers if he wishes to be traded. While all the focus was on the Jets or the 49ers, I kept wondering why Vegas wasn't being mentioned. Well, this week took care of that. A reunion with Davante Adams surely would appeal to Rodgers - it's pretty obvious how much he missed him this year.

Admit when you're wrong and move on - Ty Dunne had an interesting article on his "Go Long" blog about Eagles GM Howie Roseman and how he resuscitated the Eagles. After winning a Super Bowl in 2017, things went south, culminating in a 4-11-1 season in 2020 and the firing of coach Doug Pederson and his staff. Two years later, the Eagles are back in the Super Bowl. How? Roseman realized his mistake in signing Carson Wentz to a huge contract and was able to dump him to the Colts. He wasn't afraid to fire his Super Bowl-winning coach after a terrible season. He made some huge mistakes trying to get Jalen Hurts some weapons, drafting JJ Arcega-Whiteside over DK Metcalf or Terry McLaurin, then the following year selecting Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson. Ouch! However, unlike most teams, they didn't desperately hold on to their bad first-round draft picks through their rookie contracts hoping that something would come of them. They jettisoned both and then got things right the following season by taking DeVonta Smith and trading for AJ Brown. Of course, this is a cherry-picked example of how acting decisively can pay off. My point in all of this is that the Eagles are the anti-Packers, who value continuity above all else. They will hold on to obviously failing players, coaches and GMs for far too long, only making a change when the results are truly disastrous. It's why Ted Thompson was allowed to conduct the draft when he was ill, why McCarthy held onto his job until the Packers became an embarrassment, why Amari Rodgers kept getting thrown out there despite costing the team games, why Aaron Rodgers was given a ridiculous contract, to "stay, please stay," why Joe Barry is coming back in 2023. I'm sure you will all come up with other examples in the comments. but these will do for me.

Keepers - It's going to be a rough free-agent season for the Packers, regardless if Aaron Rodgers is back or not. They love to keep their own players, but the best they might be able to hope for is to bring back Yosh on an RFA second-round tender, keep some cheap backups (Krys Barnes, Justin Hollins), and then re-up the special teams aces they brought in last season. I'm talking about Keisean Nixon, Rudy Ford, Eric Wilson, and Dallin Leavitt. The only other possibility I see is Robert Tonyan if they can sign him to a one-year team-friendly contract.

TE or S - Which of these is the greater position of need for the Packers? Assuming Amos is gone, it's Safety for me. It was the greatest position of weakness last year and will only get worse without Amos. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a pass-catching weapon at a tight end, but I would consider that a luxury more than a necessity.

Bigger issue is not #12 staying or going it's our goofy ass team president calling the shots. He puts himself in charge of all final issues with Gute and ML reporting to him. He has no idea what he's doing and has said he's not leaving until he's forced to retire. So GB is pretty much stuck as it is for 2 more seasons until in 2025 when he's finally put out to pasture. Even then will his replacement be any different?

I think the Packers front office is going to move on, without Rodgers. Get what they can in a trade, to shore up losses in some areas with draft picks. I also see Jones gone. The Packers are going to cut salary, and stock pile picks, if possible. That's the best way for them to escape cap hell, and come up with players who could make an impact in the future.

I also see Tonyan, Smith, and Lazard gone. Probably several others.

I don't care. Have a bad year or two. Reload with younger talent. Then strike again, with the youth carrying the load. The problem is, GMs and coaches don't get a pass on bad years.

Listend to Sirius NFL Radio had on Rob Demovsky who kind of slammed Bob McGinn saying Bob has not reported on this team and years and has no idea who his sources would be.

Listend to Sirius NFL Radio had on Rob Demovsky who kind of slammed Bob McGinn saying Bob has not reported on this team and years and has no idea who his sources would be.
Demovsky IS the biggest hack of them all....all his sources left with MM. Rob damn well knows Ty's source and it was Rob who backstabbed Ty and got him laid off. Karma is a %^&* isn't it Rob.

Tom S and Bob go back a long ways...chances are Tom knows where Bob got his info from.

I just look at Mahomes having all his new WR down in Texas working with them on his own. This led to an MVP season and a title with almost all new WR.

And what was AR doing? Back packing and chomping on mushrooms.

Don't forget the all enlightening high colonics....

Tom S seems to be corroborating Bob’s opinion on the feelings of the FO. I don’t remember there ever being this much smoke to a story without it being true.
by Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: “At one point late last year, Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst told an NFL colleague he was convinced it was time the organization move on from quarterback Aaron Rodgers and see what Jordan Love had in him.”

That report really has the AR crowd fired up because it backs McGinns take on the situation which plays back to Adam S report etc and so on.

Packers are working hard through channels setting up a narrative it seems. At the end of the day it's in Rodgers court, a simple I am done kills all the fuss.

Back