Packers bring back OG Lane Taylor - 2yr/4.15M

Vast majority of OL take time to develop, even high round picks. Our starting OGs have had recurring injury issues (though they've usually managed to tough it out), so counting on a rookie would be a big risk.

Taylor started 2 games, and seems to have played well enough that people don't even remember him doing it :D

He is surely not a special talent, and I wish we could've had him for the vet minimum. But I don't see this as a big overpay for someone who's proven he can at least hold the fort. And the guarantee is so low it's almost inconsequential.

This signing doesn't affect our UFA or draft plans one bit.

It does nothing for helping our OL depth/talent either. Same group of OL got their ass handed to them when they got opportunities. GB just continues to throw jello at the wall and hope it sticks.. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. tc(

Reactions: ski
So far I am not impressed. You're right I don't remember him playing at all. I only remember how poorly the backups played period except for Tretter.

600k guarantee is so low, Taylor isn't 100% guaranteed a roster spot even this year. We will pick one, maybe two, OL in the draft, and we have some holdovers. He'll have to win a spot, and if he does, I can live with 2-3M.

He was OK in his two starts, so it's not like he hasn't proven anything. It may be an overpay, but not a huge one.

At first I was like what!?!?! but you're right the 600k guarantee is so low that he's only slightly more than a camp body if he fails to show anything or gets beat out.

And that 600k is far better than the 1.65 mill RFA tender

At first I was like what!?!?! but you're right the 600k guarantee is so low that he's only slightly more than a camp body if he fails to show anything or gets beat out.

And that 600k is far better than the 1.65 mill RFA tender
Indeed!!! It's over a million LESS in guaranteed cash, if Taylor makes it to 2016 roster, and over two years. RFA tenders become guaranteed week 1. (edited, I though they became guaranteed at signing)

To comments above, it makes zero sense to hate on Taylor, who is a pure guard, when the problem with the Oline was solely bad depth at offensive tackle. Taylor was fine in his role! He provides depth INSIDE.

We do still need to solve the OT backup situation, but I'm glad I don't have to also worry about depth at guard!

Last edited:
This is an OK deal. A little on the high side, but not much guarantee so no long-term CAP harm.

Taylor is an OK option inside. They still need to add an OT in the draft, maybe an inside guy really late.

Don't hate the move but don't love it. Signed a camp body that can take snaps off the 2 starters in those first 2 preseason games if nothing else. If gets better might make the roster if he sucks you cut bait. Low risk move. But seriously Mark said best. Meh

Lane Taylor contract is really surprising. I thought the Packers really needed to bring in two offensive linemen in the draft, but the five starters plus Tretter and Taylor brings it to 7...and Rotheram/Walker still in the mix. It seems most of the time they just have 8 on the 53-man. I don't think they can draft two now, doesn't appear they'll have enough roster spots to do so.

Agree that 2 roster spots may be tough to dedicate to rookies, but beyond Tretter, none of these guys is a lock, not even Taylor. Plus, if they take a guy really late, they may be able to sneak him onto the P.S.

One thing to note: Lang is iffy for the start of training camp due to having surgery on at least one of his ailing shoulders. It'll likely take him time to get into shape once healed.

Taylor may be in a bigger role than though at the start of the season...

Lang dealt with injuries to both shoulders this season and is still contemplating surgery on his left one. He's expected to be sidelined 4-6 months and is probably questionable for the start of training camp. The 28-year-old is entering a contract year and coming off arguably his best NFL season. Feb 3 - 11:00 AM
Source: ESPN.com

With so many of our OL being UFAs in 2017, I wouldn't be surprised if we kept 9 this year, and the usual few on PS. We can get that spot easily by keeping just one FB.

Back