Packers bring back OG Lane Taylor - 2yr/4.15M

At first I was like what!?!?! but you're right the 600k guarantee is so low that he's only slightly more than a camp body if he fails to show anything or gets beat out.

And that 600k is far better than the 1.65 mill RFA tender

My guess when you include what he will get as a base salary he will be close to this figure maybe a tad under.

Lane Taylor contract is really surprising. I thought the Packers really needed to bring in two offensive linemen in the draft, but the five starters plus Tretter and Taylor brings it to 7...and Rotheram/Walker still in the mix. It seems most of the time they just have 8 on the 53-man. I don't think they can draft two now, doesn't appear they'll have enough roster spots to do so.
Agree. I think it is just a CYA signing. Relieves pressure of having to get one in the draft, though if the right circumstance happens then TT is free to jump on it because it doesn't cost much to cut Taylor. Plus, if Taylor makes the projected progress he should- he may be replacing one of the Guards the next year.
Salamar mentioned the roster spot saved by one FB. My solution is to draft Gronk 'Lite' and he could be 2nd FB AND 3rd TE.

Lane Taylor's two-year contract breaks down this way: 2016 cash: $1.75M 2016 cap: $1.45M 2017 cash: $2.4M 2017 cap: $2.7

If he is cut in camp which would be very very doubtful it's a 600K cap hit.

Lane Taylor's two-year contract breaks down this way: 2016 cash: $1.75M 2016 cap: $1.45M 2017 cash: $2.4M 2017 cap: $2.7

If he is cut in camp which would be very very doubtful it's a 600K cap hit.
It's essentially a one-year, 1.75M contract, with team option for 2nd year.

That 1st year cap hit (1.45M) is lower than the RFA tender would've been. Taylor will have to improve a lot to see that 2nd year money, especially since cutting him in 2017 costs mere 300k in dead money.

I know it would've been preferable to get him at vet minimum, but 1.45M cap hit is OK for a backup OG who showed he can hold the fort in 2 starts last season.

Back