Packers Free Agency: James Jones unlikely to re-sign before Free Agency opens

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-9080898.0.jpg

The long-time Packer and hoodie aficionado appears resigned to the likelihood that he will not be re-signed between now and Wednesday.

Although the wide receiver corps was arguably the position group most responsible for the struggles of the Green Bay Packers' offense in 2015, hope springs up for the Packers and their fans that the group will be able to rebound from their ugly season and be a top unit again in 2016.

A large part of that hope is due to the return of Jordy Nelson, who appears on track to be full strength by the time Training Camp begins this summer. The so-called "rehab freak" has been praised heavily by both his head coach and General Manager, and should give Aaron Rodgers his favorite deep threat again.

Beyond Nelson's injury, #2 and #3 options Randall Cobb and Davante Adams dealt with injuries all season long, rookie Ty Montgomery was sidelined after six games, and Jared Abbrederis started the season on the practice squad before missing a handful of games with a rib injury following his promotion to the active roster.

In fact, only three receivers were active for all 16 regular season games in 2015: Cobb, Jeff Janis - who was mainly relegated to special teams until the playoffs - and James Jones, who was signed after final cuts.

Jones, however, was at times the unit's saving grace, as his rapport with Aaron Rodgers helped alleviate Cobb's and Adams' limitations. In fact, Jones had one of his finest seasons in the NFL, setting career highs for receiving yards and yards per catch.

However, with six talented receivers likely to fight for snaps on offense in 2016, it appears that the Packers are planning to move ahead without Jones in their plans, just as they did two years ago. Jones was on Sirius/XM Radio on Friday afternoon discussing his future:

James Jones: I was hoping I would return to GB but I don't know what is going to happen. Looks like I'm going to hit open market. #Packers

— SiriusXM NFL Radio (@SiriusXMNFL) March 4, 2016

As discussed above, the Packers already have six receivers returning from a year ago, plus a pair of practice squad players in Jamel Johnson and Ed Williams. Without Jones, there is still plenty of veteran presence as well, with both Nelson and Cobb bringing a wealth of experience to the group.

Ultimately, re-signing Jones at this time would be a luxury that the Packers do not need, and if the team does not see him in their plans for 2016 or beyond, they would be doing him a disservice by offering him a contract. Jones could still find a place on an NFL roster as a possession receiver, as his strength and ability to make catches in traffic and with contact are skills that have not faded. Jones himself certainly thinks he has plenty left in the tank:

FA WR James Jones: You can put my stats up against any of these Free Agent Wide Receivers and my stats are better than them. #Packers

— SiriusXM NFL Radio (@SiriusXMNFL) March 4, 2016

For the Packers, though, bringing the veteran back at this time would make little sense. The group of Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, and Abbrederis should be one of the best units in the NFL - if all of those players can stay healthy, of course.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

I'd bring him back for camp. YOu just never know. Look what happened last year.

Might steal reps from young guys like Abby and Janis, but might also provide some mentoring and leadership too.

I'd bring him back for camp. YOu just never know. Look what happened last year.

Might steal reps from young guys like Abby and Janis, but might also provide some mentoring and leadership too.
Mentoring is a nice idea - like a father teaching his sons. But if JJ were brought back, and I were him, I'd do my darnedest to keep the young guys behind me on the depth chart, not help them win my job. Vets do not get paid for the mentoring, they get paid for being on the roster during the season.

Mentoring rarely happens, because you have to be 100% sure about job security to be able to do it. Arod can mentor his backups, he's not gonna get replaced. JJ can not.

Torry Holt, when signed as an old, stop-gap player in Jacksonville, was asked if he would mentor the young players. His reply: “Yeah, I’ll mentor them all the way to the bench.”

yeah, i don't know how i feel about re-signing jones. on the one hand he really did just have one of his best seasons. on the other hand he still has the same problems he had when we let him walk last time. if nelson, cobb and montgomery are all healthy, i think jones is more a hindrance than an asset. adams, janis and abbrederis all need playing time to develop. i'm trying to keep an open mind about adams and hope that last season was just a sophomore slump, but it really bothered me that he had the perfect opportunity to step up and instead he stepped back. but montgomery looks like he could be the real deal.

James Jones will have interest from another team as it's 3rd or 4th WR. But in GB right now it looks like there is no room a the inn even more so if they draft another guy.

Greg Jennings is available, too. The Dolphins cut him after a 19-catch season. 32-years old and declining.

My guess is either both or one of JJ and GJ should be available in case we have an off- or pre-season injury.

Jennings burned the bridge back to GB on his way out IMO. I'd be surprised if he comes back.

Jennings burned the bridge back to GB on his way out IMO. I'd be surprised if he comes back.
Bridges CAN be rebuilt. But I don't think this one should be.

GJ ain't gonna be the player he was. And he'd have to be willing to play for at or near the minimum and accept a true backup role.

Jennings might be done. He couldn't get playing time in Miami.

I doubt Jones will be back either. As much as I am a fan I don't want him to take reps away from Montgomery, Abby and Janis this summer.

Greg Jennings is washed up. I would be surprised if he's signed. He will be 33 in September and coming off his worse season every with playing in all 16 games but only having 19 catches for about 200 yards and only 1 TD. With what he brings it would be better to go a younger and cheaper kid that would have more upside then paying a declining veteran.

Back