Packers Free Agency: James Jones unlikely to re-sign before Free Agency opens

Agree with above. I make no effort to sign Jones or another older vet at this point because likely one will be available if something happens in camp. I'd rather see the 4 young guys get snaps throughout camp and maybe even a rookie draft pick.

Mentoring is a nice idea - like a father teaching his sons. But if JJ were brought back, and I were him, I'd do my darnedest to keep the young guys behind me on the depth chart, not help them win my job. Vets do not get paid for the mentoring, they get paid for being on the roster during the season.

Mentoring rarely happens, because you have to be 100% sure about job security to be able to do it. Arod can mentor his backups, he's not gonna get replaced. JJ can not.

Torry Holt, when signed as an old, stop-gap player in Jacksonville, was asked if he would mentor the young players. His reply: “Yeah, I’ll mentor them all the way to the bench.”
Ran into another good quote about mentoring:

“My contract doesn’t say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play … I’m not obligated one bit to help anyone.” -Brett Favre

Back