Packers Hire Brian Gutekunst As GM

Maybe the lines of communication were so broken under TT that no one trust anyone anymore and this is just a way to take away any threats to anyone including MM for a year while the kinks are worked out. If these guys all trust each other the sky is the limit on what they can accomplish.
Of all the scenarios the 'new' reporting is giving life to, I think this is the closest explanation. It might actually have been most beneficial to Gute. If he wants MM gone after the one year 'prove it' is over, then he has Murphy as a buffer.

Another tidbit on the process, via Bob McGinn: John Schneider practically begged Paul Allen to let him out of his deal to interview with GB, but Allen refused.

Somehow I doubt if they were able to get Schneider we would have this three-way reporting to Murphy.

Saw that and I agree. Putting things together like this is a gamble.

All the joking about MM being a highly successful coach, but it is hard to argue. If he loses his job in Green Bay, how many hours do you think he'd be unemployed?
Considering how awful things were when Arod went down? Probably awhile..

Considering how awful things were when Arod went down? Probably awhile..

i'd lay money on the fact that he'd have a bigger better contract in less than a week - assuming that he actually would want one. if i got cut loose with a big fat guaranteed paycheck, i might be tempted to take a year off.

So your GM wants out to go to a new job begs you to be able to go and owner won't let you go. Bet Schneider won't be in hurry to ever sign a ext and might even let himself become a FA in future and leave when his contract ends

Murphy has no experience on the talent side of the operation. Being a player a few decades ago means nothing. He's been an athletic director and now Packers president. He was hired to work the business side. I don't like this new "structure" one bit.

It seems to me that Murphy's reporting structure will allow him to witness any general or specific areas of disagreement as they develop organically in real time - even before his 3 co-bosses do - IF - he is paying close attention - as he will hear each of their opinions on potential actions and COULD detect serious core philosophical differences between the 3 being revealed that could foster substantial foundational conflicts over time (3 years?). In that case, Murphy can always move the power accordingly.

It is an interesting dynamic - if over the past 5 years McCarthy had equal power with Ted - would McCarthy have proven to be astute in identifying a player that is truely worth the money that Ted declined to sign (or even offer) thus consistently missing opportunities to land quality players OR would McCarthy demonstrate that he would just pursue any big time performer based on their career to date - without close review of the most recent trending of that player's current condition in regards to health, athletic measureables, production, scheme compatability, locker-room impact, etc. that would lead to many big-dollar signings that flop?

I think I've made sense of the whole thing in my head now. Disregard the titles, that's just semantics. Where does the buck stop? For the past 25 years the buck stopped with the GM. Now it stops with Murphy. Ergo, Mark Murphy is the new GM, as we have known the position. He will heavily delegate personnel, cap and coaching decisions, but he is the de facto GM.

I think I've made sense of the whole thing in my head now. Disregard the titles, that's just semantics. Where does the buck stop? For the past 25 years the buck stopped with the GM. Now it stops with Murphy. Ergo, Mark Murphy is the new GM, as we have known the position. He will heavily delegate personnel, cap and coaching decisions, but he is the de facto GM.

That's pretty much how you have to read what's happened, from what I see. He's assumed all the roles of leadership, and will micromanage the operation, or at least it will appear he is.

I think far too much is being read in to the reporting structure. Murphy never micromanaged before. No need to assume he will start that now. In fact he may have been too out of touch. This will ensure communication through him so it doesn't get as bad as we assume it was. I, with my ggg(, don't see this as a bad thing.

Back