Packers Hire Brian Gutekunst As GM

I'm with "eye" on this. I think some folks are jumping ahead a couple of steps. All Murphy has said is that all 3 guys will report to him. They will meet weekly. There is nothing yet to indicated he will dictate anything, or that he will be making roster decisions. That may happen, but there nothing to indicate that yet.

I think what precipitated this was conversations that occurred after the season. My bet is that TT was simply making roster decisions without input from MM - things like letting Lang, Trettor and Sitton go. They don't discuss it, and maybe MM was getting blindsided by this stuff. Then as the topper, TT tells MM to go out and talk to the reporters about it and defend this stuff.

This situation seems more about "forcing" these guys to talk to each other rather than letting one guy just do what he wants and blowing off the consequences. In the end I bet Murphy is more mediator than decision maker. Besides, this arrangement isn't all that unusual. Teams everywhere have members of the FO and coaching staff reporting to an owner or another executive - they are not all dysfunctional or micromanaged.

I think what precipitated this was conversations that occurred after the season. My bet is that TT was simply making roster decisions without input from MM - things like letting Lang, Trettor and Sitton go. They don't discuss it, and maybe MM was getting blindsided by this stuff. Then as the topper, TT tells MM to go out and talk to the reporters about it and defend this stuff.

That's wishful thinking and I think deep down you know it. A lot of folks want to believe that a big piece of the issues were TT but in reality it was MM setting the final roster( That was confirmed more than once by GB media) and it was MM who left Capers in place 3 seasons too many. What should have happened is Murphy should have dismissed MM and the staff after removing TT and then hired a new GM.

The system in place has failed in places like Tampa and in DC. Of course keep in mind Murphy got this brilliant idea from his buddy former redskins GM Charley Casserly, same guy who hired Dom Capers as his HC in Houston nuts((.

Back