Packers vs Cardinals - Gut reaction

Good team win! All phases mostly did their job. Yes, there was a huge bit of luck in there but that's how close games often go one way or the other.

The downside is the mounting injuries. Hill's knee injury looked bad, but who knows. He wasn't a big impact guy but you hate losing depth. (On a side note, what the heck was he thinking on that kick-off.) Keke was a concussion I believe so he could likely be back for the next game. Tonyan didn't look that bad, but those are always the knee injuries that worry me. Probably something like an ACL and gone for the year.

Play calling and execution in the red zone is still a problem. Twice inside the 3 yard line and they come away with 3 points? That's atrocious. This game did not have to be that close. A bigger dose of AJ Dillon on that last goal line situation would have been nice but I wonder if he wasn't 100%. He looked a little hobbled after his last run. Still, they have to do better in those situations.

In the end though, this is a team win you can build on and should give everyone confidence that they can win against anyone if they stay together and play solid ball in all phases. GO PACK GO!!
Sounds like Zadarius is coming back.

Word is Jaire's shoulder is healing, might not need surgery. Maybe we can get him back with a shoulder harness.

Kylin Hill looks like he got the Willis McGahee knee injury. Too bad - I really like his potential. Probably won't see him until very late next season at the earliest if we're lucky.

Sounds like Tonyan is done for the year too...in a contract year as well. Will be interesting to see what Gute and MLF do to adjust.

When he took the ball out I thought back to the thrown punch a few weeks ago, and then realized why he was a 7th round pick.
My theory is that when you're returning kicks, anything you can fair catch, or let go through the end zone, is a winner for your team. Starting on the 25 is a darned good guarantee that you can move the ball at least far enough to swap field possession. Even if you move it, and punt it into the opposite end zone, you've gained 5 net yards. It all adds up.

I'm a strong believer that you always play to the need of having strong field advantage. It means that mistakes by the other team can translate into points for your team easier than if you go on a long march down the field.

Look at the length of that last Cardinal drive, and the fact that over 90 yards of offense on it still left them short of the end zone, and allowed the INT to happen.

Just my opinion, but it's what I always emphasized with my teams. I always felt the opponents would eventually make a mistake, if we gave them enough short pieces of rope to hang themselves.

I watched the replay seems right around the 30 yardline there was a hitch in his running I don't know if that was when it happened or when he made contact.

Back