Post Game: GB Beats The Bears 38-20

My keys to the season were that the defense play solid and the kicking game not let them down. Count me impressed on both counts.

The defense still had issues with tackling, dumb penalties, and mental mistakes, but they were basically solid and didn't give up too much stupid stuff. They looked a little quicker on defense, especially up front. Guys like Wyatt and Brooks were much more dynamic than guys like Lowrey that we used to trot out at DE. Heck even Savage looked OK.

The kicking game did not let them down . . . who'd have thought. Carlson hit everything, though there were a couple of odd curveball-like extra points. Not sure if there was wind pushing them. Hopefully that odd trajectory isn't something that hurts him at some point, but for now he looked great. Punting was OK too.

The good also included Doubs looking like a veteran and Reed showing some speed and shiftiness. Love looked composed and kept his eyes downfield. The o-line was solid and steady. Van Ness made some plays as did Musgrave. Walker actually looked instinctive at times, though he's still lost at times.

The bad - Dillon looks slow and out of place on this offense, no wonder they kicked the tires on a Taylor trade. He seems consistently off-balance and goes down too easily for a big back. We may see them ease in Wilson as the season moves along. Myers is the weak link on o-line so OC will be a position they need to target next off-season. They need to find that #4 receiver - either Wicks or Heath need to show something since I don't think Toure can be that guy. Despite a decent game by Savage, the safety position is still a weakness.

Nice win!!! - on to Atlanta.

Just a thought on Watson and Doubs. Doubs has become the possession receiver and go-to guy in the red zone. That role, in the red zone, will be shared with at least one of our TEs. But, with a healthy Watson, his depth in routes is going to help Doubs find even more seams, with a little more depth at times, and Doubs ability will complement Watson's.

They could end up making a very interesting team of receivers.

I love how Alexander and Douglas play from snap to whistle... not so much after though. They need to cool off on the post-play crap.

Walker would make a great RB...just don't give him the ball at the goal line. Not sure why he dance down the line instead of plunging in. Would've been safer just pushing through the guy instead of dancing away from him.

Jordan is Loving him some Jayden Reed; and me too. Wow is he giving me Cobb 2.0 vibes (with upgraded the speed). So comfortable catching punts; looks like he is going to be a major contributor this year (potential top WR??). just looks comfortable out there from day 1. So very Cobb like.

Could someone please remind Kenny Clark that he is one of our better DL out there? Was pretty invisible against the Bears. Maybe the OL was uber focused on him and that led to everyone else getting the pressures, but he didn't look game ready.

Musgrave looks awkward catching deep balls. Not just against the Bears, but in preseason too. Hopefully he can fix that soon.

Love looked pretty jittery in the first half, but settled down nicely in the second. Looked like a whole new QB in the second. Also looked massively better than Fields.

After thinking about Fields' performance (and previous ones), I think I've changed my opinion on him (a bit). I thought accuracy was his main issue, but he was pretty accurate yesterday (~65%). I think he is just slow to read and react to tight defenses. When players are wide open (like at Ohio St), they are easy reads. I can't think of any throw Fields threw (not made, but threw) that was contested. Even the interception, the WR had a nice gap, Walker just came from the other direction. On the positive side for the Packers, I don't see how he is going to overcome that. You can get better at reading defenses as you see more of them. But the reaction part of that isn't really going to get better...some QBs have it, some don't.

Coaching - Really nice adjustments at halftime on both offense and defense.

Could someone please remind Kenny Clark that he is one of our better DL out there? Was pretty invisible against the Bears. Maybe the OL was uber focused on him and that led to everyone else getting the pressures, but he didn't look game ready.
While not dominate, Clark did have an amazing play sniffing out that screen pass early in the 3rd quarter. That heads up play right after Wyatt got that monster sack killed any chance by the bears to get some early 2nd half momentum. Honestly, that Wyatt sack and Clark breaking up the screen where some of the best heads up plays I've seen our DL do in a long time.

Comparing Rodgers vs Love in their 1st start. I am not counting Love vs KC because he had no real time to prepare for that game.

Rodgers 2008 vs Vikings Rodgers 18 of 22 for 178 yards 1 TD and 35 yards rushing with 1 TD in a 24-19 win
Love 2023 vs Bears Love 15 of 27 245 yards 3 TDs 12 yards rushing 1 sack in a 38-20 win
Aaron looked better in his first game, imo, but he also had a solid veteran cast. Love and his guys will grow together. It's upward from here.

Musgrave needs to work on footwork. Seems on first deep pass to him he stumbled and could have maybe had that pass from Love. Then the 2nd one he caught he tripped over his own feet again.

Back