Post-game: Steelers Defeat Green Bay

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Never like a loss but a lot of improvement from the offense today, our run defense continues to be an issue. Berry's scheme injuries aside aren't helping this team. WR started hot but the drops and some awful routes still plague this team.

ST snafu got an extra point blocked..... ST guru my backside!

Jordan Love - 289 passing yards, 2 TD, 2 INT

Jayden Reed - 5 catches, 84 yards, 1 TD

Luke Musgrave - 2 catches, 64 yards

Dontayvion Wicks - 3 catches,51 yards

A.J. Dillon - 9 rushes, 70 yards

Corey Ballentine - 2 passes defensed.

Defense allowed 205 yards rushing on 36 carries

Let's move on and try to get a W next week.

Last edited:
Positives:

Jordan Love had another nice game. Again, stats won't show it but he did fine.

I thought the OL against a very good Steelers DL played pretty well, including Walker.

AJ Dillon with another solid game.

Negatives:

Christian Watson needs to be demoted behind Wicks now. 5 of Love's INT's are throws to Watson where his piss poor effort played a role in allowing the pick.

Joe Barry can't stop the run and gets exposed again. He's a bad DC and these 4 games will have it on full display.

Officiating once again blows a huge call. That was a lateral pass and should have been a Gary TD. Completely different game if they call it correctly.

Five of Love’s TDs this year are targeting Christian Watson. Something is up there.

I still think we have talent on D. But slower then Biden Joe Berry is a awful DC. Should have never been hired in first place. GB also needs new WR and OL coaches. That I think will help in a big way besides adding more talent.

yeah, he doesn't fight for the ball nor is he in a good position. He's a #3 or 4 WR at best
As I said in shout, Watson plays like a injury prone player he is. He is scared to fight for balls and get phyiscal as he's worried he is going to get hurt again.

The good stuff!
Love will be fine, he will be a good QB for GB and win some games as he improves. Can't really blame him for either INT to be honest. If Love was throwing to Devante instead of Watson that would have been a TD.
Reed is stepping up and becoming that WR Love can count on. Wicks showing something too
Musgrave had a nice game. Had some nice blocks too.
Dillon showed some nice runs

And the other stuff:
Run DEF is was atrocious.
The OL is just not good. It's horribly inconsistent. They are playing about their talent level, don't expect much improvement.
Any good QB is gonna shred this secondary. They made plays today but... Still not getting turnovers.
Jones - Two major mistakes by the veteran. Dropped pass on the trick play that was thrown right to him, and not getting out of bounds.
ML Playcalling late.. Why on earth on the last play would you run a play designed to go to Watson who has done jack squat. They were talking about this on post game radio. That should have been a designed play to either Reed or Musgrave.

ML should also demote Watson and give Hicks/Reed/Musgrave more chances. They're the ones making plays while Watson is giving up INTs. Heck, give Kraft some more opportunities as well. The OL can't block for more than a second, so use those TE.

All that said the team fought till the end and didn't give up. This was a much different team than we've seen as of late. It's a good sign. But everyone has to keep in mind that the talent level will limit what this team can do week in week out.

Last edited:
I still think we have talent on D. But slower then Biden Joe Berry is a awful DC. Should have never been hired in first place. GB also needs new WR and OL coaches. That I think will help in a big way besides adding more talent.
I'd wager you could fire Barry now and still give the same performance, but with a new DC you have a chance to improve.

OL, Secondary, WR, and DC coaches all need to go. Yesterday. Won't happen, but it should.

I think the lesson is this - they can ask Love to play a conservative, high percentage, safe game but they don't have the horses on offense to make that work. No guys to break tackles, get open, no cohesive blocking on the OL, no consistent run game. Or they can turn him loose and let him throw but you're going to get some picks, especially now. They've played better games overall when they do the latter and he made so many good throws today but 1. his game isn't high level enough to finish off these drives and 2. they are still missing a high end go-to WR. Put it this way - no skill position player has gravity. Adams sucked up coverage and attention and eyeballs. Last year Christian Watson sucked up coverage and attention and eyeballs. The hope was that he'd pick it up there and run but obviously this year is a step back for him. It's just too easy covering up the Packers WR. Last year Watson destroyed Patrick Peterson in coverage. This year he's getting covered up by a 40 year old DB. He's not right. Reed has shown promise, Musgrave is starting to really turn it on, but they're missing a piece.

On the D, contrary to popular belief, I believe that the talent acquired by Gute and the FO is actually carrying Barry to respectable stats but his incompetence was on full display today. They spotted Pitt 14 pts by refusing to commit to run D. They played scared against Kenny Pickett and tried to protect their DBs, meanwhile those bottom string DBs played with heart out there and didnt need to be coddled. Barry should've started out bottling up the run and making Pickett beat them. I do wonder if Greg Williams could keep them steady as an interim DC. Not an ideal candidate by any means but I think by demeanor he wouldn't be worse than Barry.

Well, that was more offense than I was expecting. Somehow though when you get 400yds it seems like you should have more than 19 points. Still plenty of growing pains there for JLove. He seems to be focusing too much on Watson right now. It cost him 2 INTS today. On that last play, Doubs broke open at the goal line but Love seemed focused on Watson. Not sure if that's on Love or ML.

A few weeks ago I posted that I wasn't so sure about this WR group. I'm still not sure about the group, but I am getting more sure about some of them. Watson is looking more and more like a slightly better version of MVS. Right now, he's showing me nothing to indicate he's special or a #1. If something doesn't change with him, they still need a true #1. Doubs, Wicks, and Reed are looking like solid #2, 3, 4 type guys who are valuable in certain roles.

O-line had some moments, but needs more talent. Musgrave and Kraft seem to be coming along. Dillon had a pretty nice game.

On defense they still can't stop the run consistently. They do well in stretches and then just look lost for other stretches. They need secondary help this off-season. At least one top-level CB and a couple of safeties. They also need to fire the entire defensive staff and bring in a new coordinator who can bring in all of his own guys.

Back