Post Game Thread: Falcons Slip By Packers 33-32

I am somewhat hopeful after this loss.

I saw a lot of the old Rodgers back, the MVP Rodgers. We haven't seen much of him for a year and half. 28 for 38, 4 TDS. That's a 73.6% completion rate.

He used to be super accurate but then had the worst completion % lately. To see him getting rid of the ball quick was pretty nice. He seemed a lot more in the flow of the game. I was happy to see that.
To see Rodgers being proficient and getting into the flow with his hodgepodge of receivers like Geronimo and Davis and Janis was very encouraging, plus unknown rbs.

It wasn't enough to win the game and it wasn't perfect, but if the OLD Rodgers is now BACK, we still have a chance. It's when we lost MVP over the last 1.5 years that I was really disappointed, but seeing him come back makes me encouraged.

The defense made sure Julio Jones wasn't going to beat them, and he was double covered all game, but unfortunately it meant they were vulnerable elsewhere and Matty ice made them pay. The last ATL drive was pretty painful to watch, because we have seen our defense collapse so many times before with a crucial late game drive to lose the game. Micah Hyde blitzing was sad.

Hopefully Aaron Rodgers really is back, then we always have a chance. My hope is this performance is a bit of spark to Rodgers getting back to his MVP form. My hope is the rest of the team can rally around him, and we can squeak into the playoffs and make some noise.

Packers record in games decided in overtime,or by 3pts or less including the playoffs under McCarthy going back to 2006.
12-22-1 Overall

1-8-1 in Overtime games.3 of the 8 overtime losses coming in the playoffs.Last time the Packers won in overtime,October 29,2007 in Denver.

4-2 Overall with Favre at QB.1-1 in overtime with Favre.

Aaron Rodgers record in games decided in overtime,or by 3pts or less going back to 2008 including the playoffs.
6-19 overall.
0-7 in overtime.0-3 in overtime in playoff games.

2013 in games Rodgers didn't suit up that were decided in overtime or by 3pts or less.
2-0-1

As a comparison, even the worst of the big-time QBs (Ben Roethlisberger is 6-10 in the regular season, Peyton Manning is 4-8 — Tom Brady is 10-4) aren’t close to Rodgers’ terrible mark.

Packers record in games decided in overtime,or by 3pts or less including the playoffs under McCarthy going back to 2006.
12-22-1 Overall

1-8-1 in Overtime games.3 of the 8 overtime losses coming in the playoffs.Last time the Packers won in overtime,October 29,2007 in Denver.

Aaron Rodgers record in games decided in overtime,or by 3pts or less going back to 2008 including the playoffs.
6-19 overall.

2013 in games Rodgers didn't suit up that were decided in overtime or by 3pts or less.
2-0-1
I'm curious how many of those games did Rodgers get a lead late only to have the defense give up the game winning drive?

Think of games like last years playoff game vs Arizona. AR did everything to get the game into OT and the defense choked the game away in 3 plays. Can't put that one or last night on AR and I know there were a bunch more.

The defense made sure Julio Jones wasn't going to beat them, and he was double covered all game, but unfortunately it meant they were vulnerable elsewhere and Matty ice made them pay.

Yes, but Julio also had an ankle and was used as a decoy, so we can't really draw many conclusions from that.

I am surprised that the Pack has never won in OT with Rodgers. Well, I was, until I remembered several of the losses. Ugh. The game in Miami. Heartbreaking.

As a comparison, even the worst of the big-time QBs (Ben Roethlisberger is 6-10 in the regular season, Peyton Manning is 4-8 — Tom Brady is 10-4) aren’t close to Rodgers’ terrible mark.

I assume you're directly quoting from this article?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/aar...ess-playoff-green-bay-packers-stats-cardinals

On Saturday night, Aaron Rodgers’ miracle quickly turned from wine back to water, as his Green Bay Packers lost in overtime — following his game-trying Hail Mary with 0:00 on the clock — on three plays to the Arizona Cardinals. That made Rodgers a stunning 0-7-1 in overtime games in his career and 0-3 in playoff OT games.

So what’s the deal? Well, like everything in football, there is no one singular reason for Aaron Rodgers’ OT woes, though the playoff ones can easily be explained. In those three playoff losses, Rodgers never touched the ball in overtime. Ever. In that wild 51-45 wild-card loss to Arizona in 2009, Rodgers led Green Bay to a game-tying TD on his final drive, then never went out on offense again (except for one kneel down play at the end of regulation.) In last year’s NFC championship loss to the Seahawks, Rodgers drove the Packers 58 yards in one minute, got a game-tying field goal with 19 seconds left and the Packers lost on a Seattle touchdown on the opening drive of overtime. And then on Sunday, of course, Rodgers threw a Hail Mary on the final play of regulation, lost not one, buttwo coin tosses and saw his playoff hopes dashed after three plays.

In three overtime losses, Rodgers touched the ball just once after bringing his team back from deficits with under six minutes remaining. That’s just rough luck. In regulation, the losses were more on him. He had one without getting the ball, another after he fumbled for a game-losing TD on the opening possession (that’s obviously on him), threw an interception that led to a Washington game-winning touchdown and then went three-and-out in another to lose the game (and then also had a tie with Minnesota.)
Of course, the same way it’s not all on Rodgers, it’s not all on the Packers defense either. Rodgers could have put his team in a position to be leading in the final six minutes instead of trailing (one of the reason “quarterback comebacks” is an overrated stat — the greatest don’t need to come back that often). But overall, that’s some pretty rough luck and explains why one of the great quarterbacks of his era seems like a dud when it matters most. Well, sure, anyone would be if he never got a chance to throw the ball!

I just can't give up on the guy, yet. Even though his mechanics are seemingly in decline (and yes, I can see the footwork issues), and 'hasn't been the same for a year and a half': he has dealt with a lot of BS. So I'm just going to wait and see as concerns Rodgers. :)

Loved the young guys getting a chance and producing even without Lacy, Cobb, Starks, Monty, etc, etc. I also liked AR's interview which was mostly him appreciating them.

So, I guess we'll see. gopackgo

Last edited:
Hopefully Aaron Rodgers really is back, then we always have a chance. My hope is this performance is a bit of spark to Rodgers getting back to his MVP form. My hope is the rest of the team can rally around him, and we can squeak into the playoffs and make some noise.

Me, too. :)

12-22-1 Overall

6-19 overall.

2-0-1

I can think of 2 OT games where Rodgers never got his hands on the ball and another where the officials missed an obvious facemask penalty in AZ.

Seattle 2014 defense blew a lead, but people forget AR marched the Pack down the field for a game tying FG that led to OT. Never touched the ball.

AZ 2015 he threw two miracle Hail Mary passes to tie the game, again never touched the ball again as the defense wilted.

This game he drives them down for a TD and successfully gets the 2pt to put them in best position possible. Defense wilts, MM mismanaged the clock, ATL takes the lead. Can you ding him for failing in the final drive? Sure. Still say his last pass on 4th down was perfect, Adams didn't do what he's supposed to. You cut to the sideline to stop the clock, you don't run up field. Still, the record is what it is.

Listening to Capers you can see how much his D - weaknesses and all - is further hampered by injuries. When is the last time he blitzed less than 10% of the time? He was deathly afraid of getting beat by Jones, but when he got hurt maybe it would've been worth a shot to get after Ryan a little. Dunno.

One other nit: Packers were moving the ball at will, I would've let Davis or Janis take a chance running one out of the end zone on KOR. We saw how dangerous Davis can be, let him take a chance.

Back