Post Game Thread: Falcons Slip By Packers 33-32

You know what is tiring? The consistently bad play calling on 2nd or 3rd and short. The offense is really predictable and has been since '11. I wonder what it is like to sit in a defensive team meeting of the Packers' opponent. At this point - do teams even have defensive team meetings during Green Bay week?

This franchise really needs a breath of fresh air blown into it from the top down. We have the best play-maker in the game and we shy away from him in so many situations that it has become predictable. This post may not be that popular here as us Packers fans are quite the stans, but man... now I know what it felt like for Dolphins fans when they had Marino.

This offense finally stepped up and did enough to win. What I'm sick of, is a Dom Capers defense that consistently allows an offense to drive down the field and not only give up the winning score, but also leave our offense with little to no time on the clock to win the game.

Yes, our defense has kept us afloat for most of the year and was banged up this game, but it's the same old **** every year. Our defense looks great for most of the season, then at the worst possible time (4th quarter, playoff games) they choke in the worst possible manner. Whatever, on to the next one.

I've gone over the stats. If you look at them, and them alone, you see a team that didn't do that badly. They scored some points, and in the end, just couldn't beat what is arguably the highest scoring team in the NFL. Yet, it was only a 1 point loss. Moral victory? Almost won? Darn it - Maybe next time? We have to be happy with what we saw with all these injuries? This team will be much better when it gets healthy? The coaches did a great job, the offense was improved?

In the NFL there are two things. Winners and losers. The Packers were losers. Had Julio Jones not been limping around the field acting as nothing more than a decoy, we could have been blown out. He was hurt early, and couldn't make cuts after that. He is a big part of their offense, and without him, they used secondary receivers to beat us.

The scenario for this season has already been written. It happened the day they decided to go with two RBs for the season, booted an all-pro lineman off the team, and changed punters to a guy who kicks cream puffs for a living, before they even took the field for their first game. It was a recipe for disaster.

The Atlanta game was a failure. The Falcons are not that good. They won't be a factor in any scenario relating to the playoffs, except a possible first round knock out, if even that. They beat us.

At this point, I wonder what the intentions are, in the Packers' front office. Matthews probably won't be resigned for big bucks, and could even be cut because of his injury history. I don't think the Packers are going to give Rodgers big bucks. If they're no longer winning, he could be traded, or let walk, at the end of his contract.. I wonder if Nelson would like to finish his career in KC, near his home? It could happen. He could walk when his contract is up.

Those three names have been the face of the team. They've been our blue-chip players who made the Packers highly visible. They also are highly paid. If Thompson and the coaching staff is given a vote of confidence over a bad season this year, and possibly next year, we could be looking at them clearing house, and rebuilding the team.

No matter what. The opportunities for this team, with the core of players we have, is nearly gone, and we've seen only one championship from a roster that was capable of at reaching the finals at least three times.

Back to the game. I saw the Packers offense operating like it used to, when it was a solid offense. The run didn't matter, because the passing game was solid. At halftime, it was the same old McCarthy mantra. Shut 'er down!

Defense was typical. Give up plays that shouldn't happen on key downs.

Excellent write up TW.. While I thought they'd get blown out they didn't. Sure Julio was injured early, but still the Pack played with more heart than I've seen in a long time.

We are seeing a changing of the guard. The old veterans are less and less relevant as the younger guys start to make their case. Are they a group of future all stars? Not at all, but I think they have the potential to be greater than the sum of their parts. Now will TT and MM take advantage of that? Or does MM hunker down into his comfortable veterans/trust routine? This team is in a perfect position for a new front office to take it back to the upper tier of the NFL. Our depth stinks, but so does everyone elses. A new front office who understands the modern NFL will be able to work with this group I think.

One last point on the game. In chat we were discussing that last play ATL won the game on. Mark was pointing out that the def was doing two different things. Up front was on one scheme the back end in another. Sound familiar? That's how GB lost to ARI in that playoff game. Same mistakes that top tier teams don't make.

Back to the game. I saw the Packers offense operating like it used to, when it was a solid offense. The run didn't matter, because the passing game was solid. At halftime, it was the same old McCarthy mantra. Shut 'er down!

Defense was typical. Give up plays that shouldn't happen on key downs.

I don't think he shut'er down. I think Atlanta adjusted to all the screens and quick passes at the line of scrimmage and created a stop on the first two drives of the second half. The Packers only had the ball 4 times in the 2nd half.

I still don't think the season is lost. The team is playing better offensively. This season is reminding me alot of 2010 where the Packers limped into the playoffs with the wild card and ran the table to win the Super Bowl. They were very banged up that year but put it together when it mattered. That was the year the next man up mantra started and this year is looking familiar. The Pack started out 4-3 that year and I think we all ended up happy.

I don't think he shut'er down. I think Atlanta adjusted to all the screens and quick passes at the line of scrimmage and created a stop on the first two drives of the second half. The Packers only had the ball 4 times in the 2nd half.

I still don't think the season is lost. The team is playing better offensively. This season is reminding me alot of 2010 where the Packers limped into the playoffs with the wild card and ran the table to win the Super Bowl. They were very banged up that year but put it together when it mattered. That was the year the next man up mantra started and this year is looking familiar. The Pack started out 4-3 that year and I think we all ended up happy.

Mr. Cynical about to jump in here....

There were 6 pro bowlers on that 2010 team. It was stacked with talent. And the only significant reg season players they lost were Finley and Barnett. Only 2 starters played less than 12 games that season.

However, this team could definitely still make the payoffs. Which in and of itself would be a huge accomplishment all things considered. But a deep playoff run? Never say never but you're a much more optimistic person than I. And we need balance in the force, so we'll see where it ends up.. starwars)

Mr. Cynical about to jump in here....

There were 6 pro bowlers on that 2010 team. It was stacked with talent. And the only significant reg season players they lost were Finley and Barnett. Only 2 starters played less than 12 games that season.

However, this team could definitely still make the payoffs. Which in and of itself would be a huge accomplishment all things considered. But a deep playoff run? Never say never but you're a much more optimistic person than I. And we need balance in the force, so we'll see where it ends up.. starwars)

I think it was a little more dire than you are painting it CD. There were 135 games missed due to injury on the defense alone.
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-of-the-2011-steelers-and-the-2010-packers-ii

Excellent points. About McCarthy shutting it down, it's more like not being able to realize that adjustments will be made to defense them, at half time. It happens almost every game? Coincidence? Once or twice, fine, but all the time? That's either shutting the offense down to a conservative level by choice, or because you don't have a clue on how to beat the new wrinkles thrown out there on defense by the opposition. Usually generated at halftime. In either case, it's a shutdown.

Here's a breakdown on our scoring vs our opponents. It's based on quarters.

Packers on top 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
Packers 48 64 13 47 172
Opponents 27 55 37 37 156

We do fairly well during the first quarter. The scripted plays, because they are directed at so many different options, and players, not narrowed down to just a few. When we hit the second quarter, we're a better offense because the plays that worked are repeated. At halftime, teams make adjustments, and the Packers don't, when it comes to their offense. For some reason they believe it's worked so far, so nothing needs to be done. It shows in the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter, it's a combination of players taking the game on their own shoulders, and the fact that McCarthy finally realizes his halftime should have made adjustments.

On defense, the 2nd quarter let down is pretty much due to familiarity. The offenses have spotted our weaknesses, and exploit them. Capers and his coaches do some adjusting and it improves during the second half, to a degree.

Scoring by half:

Green Bay 112 - 60
Opponent 82 - 74

We lose the 2nd half battle often enough that we lose the close ones. Look at it any way you want, the Packer offense sucks during the 2nd half, and there's no reason that should happen with the same personnel, and if the coaches make adjustments, and realize what defenses will do to prevent what worked during the first half. It's coaching.

Anyhow, that's what I looked at as part of my analysis of the game, games, to this point, this year. I can understand why someone might disagree, but if you do, please explain to me why we score less total points during the second half of ball games than we do during the 2nd quarter alone? There's no mistaking that fact, or ignoring it.

I think not having a legit running game hurt us yesterday, especially in the second half. Could not having Ty in there made a difference? Hopefully the 2 new RBs will perform better next week and the weeks after. It is never a good thing when your leading rusher is your QB.

Packers record in games decided in overtime,or by 3pts or less including the playoffs under McCarthy going back to 2006.
12-22-1 Overall

1-8-1 in Overtime games.3 of the 8 overtime losses coming in the playoffs.Last time the Packers won in overtime,October 29,2007 in Denver.

4-2 Overall with Favre at QB.1-1 in overtime with Favre.

Aaron Rodgers record in games decided in overtime,or by 3pts or less going back to 2008 including the playoffs.
6-19 overall.
0-7 in overtime.0-3 in overtime in playoff games.

2013 in games Rodgers didn't suit up that were decided in overtime or by 3pts or less.
2-0-1

Back