Post Game Thread : Packers Knock Off Rams 24-10

Sorry for the type O's.

That's why I am not a writer. :)

Another reason this forum is no fun. I was all set to jump on you (PM, of course, since no forum allows grammar Nazis any more :)), and right away you come out and acknowledge the mistakes. However, I can point out that the mistakes were typos, not type O's, unless you're talking about the kind of blood you were spilling. :)

Here are the stats that matter.

Offense - scoring rank = #5 27.4 points per game
Defense - rank = #3 16.2 points per game
Scoring Differential rank #3 +11.2

Good to see these solid stats. - Our Packers team cannot ever be complacent or satisfied. I am personally "deeply feeling" my (as fan) perceived offensive struggles these past couple weeks. I know (a percentage of my personal concern) is that I am a spoiled fan by Packers offense in knowing previously how capable they are of putting points UP on THAT SCOREBOARD! The worry/fear for me is for them to balance or correct out to their best or fullest potential and not hit any further "spiral down" but be warming up to be playing heated well and in-sync for final stretch of the season.

It is almost beyond belief to see how well the other units are doing overall - defense and special teams (even with not being perfect - defense especially hit a high standards bar of excellence these past two weeks.

All in all - grateful for the win. I too at certain points during yesterday's game was "O MGosh - are the Packers going to give away this game and lose?'" But then when Packers defense was out there - they ended up taking with the Rams giving back. - Kaye

I would agree with Kaye, though. The 3rd down percentage does need to improve for the offense. We have plenty of time until playoff time; however, if we do not get better on third downs offensively it could haunt us come the playoffs.

YEPPERS see my reply to eyecatcher which includes this: "The worry/fear for me is for them to balance or correct out to their best or fullest potential and not hit any further "spiral down" but be warming up to be playing heated well and in-sync for final stretch of the season." - Kaye

The Packers returned to Lambeau Field to face off against the St. Louis Rams. The Rams were coming off a victory over the previously undefeated Arizona Cardinals in the desert. Some fans felt it would be a tough game. Here’s what we learned.

What We Learned...

We learned Ty Montgomery was a phenomenal pick by Ted Thompson. He did make rookie mistakes with stepping out of bounds with 1:07 left in the game and has the same issue tracking the deep ball as he did at Stanford. Don’t be surprised if he becomes a major part in the offense later in the year.

We also learned James Jones keeps doing James Jones things. His catch and run in the third quarter extended the Packers lead to double digits and was a big turning point in the game. His body control on the touchdown pass was insane. James Jones just finds ways to get in the endzone even on days when the offense is not clicking.

We learned Aaron Rodgers is human. Rodgers threw his first two picks at home since 2012. While it looked like the second interception might have been trapped, there’s no disputing it wasn’t one of Rodgers’ nest outing. We did learn that even when Rodgers is human, this team seems to be able to find a way to win. That will be important as the season wears on.

We learned Ted’s first 2 selections of 2 cornerbacks in the draft is paying dividends early. Quinten Rollins made a case to get more playing time after his game today his two interceptions, the first he returned for a touchdown. The future looks equally bright for he and Damarious Randall.

What We Think We Learned…

We think the Packers special teams is improved. The Packers did, however, have three miscues on special teams. Jeff Janis has been good on special teams but did not re-establish inbounds after sliding into the endzone, resulting in a touchback. Demetri Goodson slipped on the fake punt that resulted in a Rams first down but was bailed out by Datone Jones blocking Zuerlein’s 50 yard attempt four plays later. Richard Rodgers committed an illegal hands to the face penalty to cost the Packers three points, forcing them to punt. Even with all of these miscues, the Packers’ play on special teams for the first four weeks has been significantly improved and we think this game was just an outlier.

We think we learned the Packers defense can really play. Except for three big plays (one being a pass interference by Clinton-Dix), this team stymied the Rams’ offense. While Todd Gurley did run for 159 yards, 55 of it was on one play. This was the biggest rushing games since Matt Forte. Two redzone interceptions by Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Quinten Rollins helped the keep them out of the endzone on the Rams’ last two red zone appearances.

What We Hope Isn’t True…

We hope T.J. Lang, Nick Perry and B.J. Raji’s injuries aren’t severe. Lang is among one of the best guards in the league and it would be a blow to have him out. Raji has been the anchor in the middle for the Packers’ revitalized rush defense (and pressure on the quarterback). Luckily, with the bye week coming up after the game against San Diego, the Packers should feel minimal impact from this latest round of injuries. If the Packers can get healthy over the bye and enter the second half ready to go, this team might be unstoppable.

We hope this game from Richard Rodgers is an aberration and not a trend. Rodgers dropped a sure first down pass and committed the illegal hands to the face penalty that knocked the Packers out of field goal range. This was not the best game for the former Cal Bear.

Continue reading...

I'm a little late to the party here, but just got home from Green Bay last night :)

Haven't seen any mention of the crowd here but being there in person, that was the loudest overall game I've been to at Lambeau (out of 9 games I've seen there). The crowd was great from start to finish. With the way the D was playing, from my little corner of the stadium there it seemed like people were more excited to see them than the O. Clay was flying around and delivered one of the most punishing, clean hits I've ever seen on a QB, driving his helmet into Foles' chest while 78K people audibly gasped.

Aaron was off, and as he goes, so goes the offense. I won't argue that the receivers weren't getting open, but at some point he has to throw to a receiver that isn't open and see if they can make a play. Ty Montgomery is built like a brick you-know-what house in person, looked to me like Greg Jennings in person but noticeably more muscular. He's going to be a good one.

After the game the Wisconsin band came out onto the field for the 5th quarter and that was awesome. Temps in the 70's, great win by the home team, then seeing them play and getting into a bunch of photos with those kids when they put down their instruments and did the Lambau leap. Just the type of thing you won't see anywhere else in US pro sports.

I'm a little late to the party here, but just got home from Green Bay last night :)

Haven't seen any mention of the crowd here but being there in person, that was the loudest overall game I've been to at Lambeau (out of 9 games I've seen there). The crowd was great from start to finish. With the way the D was playing, from my little corner of the stadium there it seemed like people were more excited to see them than the O. Clay was flying around and delivered one of the most punishing, clean hits I've ever seen on a QB, driving his helmet into Foles' chest while 78K people audibly gasped.

Aaron was off, and as he goes, so goes the offense. I won't argue that the receivers weren't getting open, but at some point he has to throw to a receiver that isn't open and see if they can make a play. Ty Montgomery is built like a brick you-know-what house in person, looked to me like Greg Jennings in person but noticeably more muscular. He's going to be a good one.

After the game the Wisconsin band came out onto the field for the 5th quarter and that was awesome. Temps in the 70's, great win by the home team, then seeing them play and getting into a bunch of photos with those kids when they put down their instruments and did the Lambau leap. Just the type of thing you won't see anywhere else in US pro sports.

LOVED READING THIS - HOME! - Anything the attending fans can do at Lambeau include staying LOUD - inside me believes a real help (morale) to Packers team. Hope the fans able to attend are rallied and ready for next Sunday's game. Being able to WIN at home helps "off set" those hard and harsh road games that are toughest losses for any team. (Even though we fans want our team Packers to win every road game.) Personally, I love hearing the Lambeau crowd when LOUD - their noise carries on the air to right outside my home. I live at one mile from the Lambeau field bowl. The more WINS the Pack can stack up at HOME the better! Thanks so much for this report. Made my day! - Kaye

Listened to the game live on the radio, then watched it twice on DVR.
A couple things.... The OTs played well, Bak matches up with the speed rushers and Bulaga back is comforting. You really didn't hear Aaron Donald's name much and it seem like they needed to blitz to get pressure. (though ARod didn't seem to be on the same page as our WR corp). RRod had a rough day, could of really helped with a couple of plays he had a shot at. ARod seems to be pressing, maybe trying to do too much with all our receiving injuries.

Defense was fun to watch. Big stops after turnovers, kept their kicker beyond 5o yards and he had a tough day too. Would like to give kudos to HaHa. Yes, he had the interference call, but without Burnett he really stepped up. Tracking down Bailey with a minute left to prevent a TD was huge IMO. Showed what happens when you play 60 MINUTES! His interception was a nice play also, they way he secured the ball. Who thought our defense could carry the day? Two weeks in a row!!

Back