Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cold hard truth here, he's going to be 38...staring at 40. Yes, he could have 1 maybe 2 big seasons in him but there are no guarantees and he has an injury history. IF big IF you can get a first and let's say a third for him, you take it...say Thank you and move on.

That gives you 2 number 1's next year and 2 3's..... Yes, you have to draft right but there is no reason you can't add a lot of talent around Love and improve your defense with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Edit: * Rodgers brings more than that, in reality, you're getting a great deal.
Agree, and the risk is if his skills decline this year and / or injury his value falls like a rock. Then you just set the franchise back 2-3 years with the greatest asset having no value

James is not a cancer to any organization hes ever been on but I digress ........and I wont hijack this thread for that discussion. And quite honesty the NBA / NFL comparison is not even close and applicable.

NE was smart because they understood who fit the culture, who fit the scheme and system. As I noted they were all n the same page. One thing that NE had that was consistent was a HC and staff who worked. In GB, McCarthy was 2-3 years to long, so was the staff...it was much more than just a GM
GB way way to much likes to stay in a rut and hates change.

The cold hard truth here, he's going to be 38...staring at 40. Yes, he could have 1 maybe 2 big seasons in him but there are no guarantees and he has an injury history. IF big IF you can get a first and let's say a third for him, you take it...say Thank you and move on.

That gives you 2 number 1's next year and 2 3's..... Yes, you have to draft right but there is no reason you can't add a lot of talent around Love and improve your defense with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Edit: * Rodgers brings more than that, in reality, you're getting a great deal.
I said before and will say again. You want to walk from a player 1-2 years early then be stuck with them for 1-2 years to late. You walk early you can likely trade them get something for them walk late you are paying millions for a broken down player giving you little to nothing.

Agree, and the risk is if his skills decline this year and / or injury his value falls like a rock. Then you just set the franchise back 2-3 years with the greatest asset having no value
I don't see how not making a move, with so many unknowns, sets a franchise back. At worst it keeps them in neutral - it's a missed opportunity to move forward, not a setback.

I don't see how not making a move, with so many unknowns, sets a franchise back. At worst it keeps them in neutral - it's a missed opportunity to move forward, not a setback.
Because you took a known for instance a 1st and 3rd from several teams.... he plays and tears his ACL game 15... never recovers and in two years you get a 6th.

You straight out failed to acquire another top-notch talented player from your asset. It's just good business and management to move that asset at its highest value rather than gamble and play what if. Even if that means watching him succeed in the AFC for a season elsewhere.

If you have the chance to cash is an asset to give you a #1 and lets say a #3 and you don't take it, IMO it sets you back. You rarely have that opportunity in this league. Maybe not a great analogy, but I think Atlanta made a big mistake not moving the #4 pick for assets.

GB way way to much likes to stay in a rut and hates change.
I think its more a comfort level, you are winning, stands are full, bank account it flush you get complacent, There is no owner to light a fire and break up the band.

Though do we know if GB every got a true offer for Rodgers? If they did get one and it was a low offer was it right to decline and say well if we can't get better value we might as well keep him.

Though do we know if GB every got a true offer for Rodgers? If they did get one and it was a low offer was it right to decline and say well if we can't get better value we might as well keep him.
well then have a sack and negotiate a better deal instead of sitting there and "work it out with Aaron". Do I think there were offers? yes, you never make or accept the first offer thats just not good business. But good business is to maximize your greatest asset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back