Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

Good article here. Says that Murphy made the call to move on from Ted and not Ted himself to move to new role. Also if Packers stay from within and promote one of Wolf, Brian G, Highsmith, that the other two may stay. If they would promote Ball or go outside the team those three would likely asked to be allowed to leave the team.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...01/packers-replace-gm-ted-thompson/994801001/

Good article here. Says that Murphy made the call to move on from Ted and not Ted himself to move to new role. Also if Packers stay from within and promote one of Wolf, Brian G, Highsmith, that the other two may stay. If they would promote Ball or go outside the team those three would likely asked to be allowed to leave the team.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...01/packers-replace-gm-ted-thompson/994801001/

Saw that last night.... I still go with Brian G and look outside as well. Apparently, Murphy saw enough and did the right thing.

A quote from McGinn's and his folks on this...
Scooped on their own story, the Packers on Tuesday morning plan to send out a press release outlining the changes in Thompson’s duties before Murphy holds a press briefing in the afternoon.
Last week, one of Thompson’s close friends was asked if he could envision a scenario in which Murphy and the corporation’s executive committee would force him out or if he would retire?
“I doubt that Ted will hang it up,” the friend said. “He does not have anything else to do and, more or less, seems to be happy being in charge of the personnel end of the Packers.”
The public images of Thompson and some recent interaction with Packers executives led the 45-member board of directors to instruct Murphy to remove him as general manager, according to one source.
Last month, Thompson was just gazing into space hardly mindful why he was attending a meeting of team executives, the source said.
The incident was one of several in the last six months that called into question Thompson’s fitness for performing such demanding work. It also opened the Packers to embarrassment for having a man with apparent health and focusing issues directing their football operation.
Ten days ago, NBC cameras centered on Thompson at his press-box seat when play was stopped during the Green Bay-Minnesota game at Lambeau Field. For almost 12 seconds Thompson was sitting there with his mouth open.
Deadspin tweeted the photo of Thompson with the caption: “When the ‘nog is too strong.”
Thompson’s mouth was ajar not long before that as he and McCarthy watched Aaron Rodgers warm up at practice.
Thompson frequently is seen in the Packers’ offices in similar pose, which alarmed one person.
This summer I watched as Thompson shuffled slowly around Ray Nitschke Field as he watched practice. Carrying his ever-present water bottle, he would bring the bottle to his lips with great deliberation and take periodic drinks.
Another friend of Thompson’s said recently “there’s something foggy about him” during their recent conversations.
An executive in personnel for an NFC team said he encountered Thompson on the scouting trail this fall.
“He looks like he’s walking in a daze,” the personnel man said last week. “It looks like there’s something that’s slowing him down mentally.”
On Thursday, another personnel man said in his opinion there would be no chance of a new GM in Green Bay any time soon.
“Ted’s going to stay put for a little bit,” the scout said. “I think he’s going to try to fix it and make it better than he found it. He wouldn’t want to leave on this type of note right here.”
Murphy can be expected to examine candidates to replace Thompson from in-house and outside the organization. It’s likely he will rely on Jed Hughes, a head-hunter for Korn Ferry who delivered him to the executive committee in late 2007.
This will be the first major decision that Murphy will make in football since replacing Bob Harlan in January 2008.

I agree he doesn't look well. For a man in his 60s he looks 80. Im happy he is stepping down but hope the best for the man.

As much as we have bitched about him, we have the same number of rings under him as Wolf. The packers were in the playoffs most of his run. It was time, but we weren't in the dark yrs either

That's just sad. I wanted someone else to GM the Packers that would use all avenues of player procurement. But I never wished ill will towards the man. I hope he can get past whatever is ailing him.

It does bother me a little that Murphy had to be prodded by the BOD to make this move. Couldn't he see something wasn't quite right? This is the guy that's going to hire the next GM? That's scary. C'mon, Mark. Don't muff this punt!

I've been saying - for a long time - that the BOD would be the one that either turned thumbs up or down on Thompson, and influence Murphy's decision. It's the way it works in GB. No one person is above the mandate of the board.

Murphy may not have been "ordered" to move Thompson, but there might have been a major hint that if he didn't, someone else would, and that's what's called a threat to your own job.

I'd imagine Thompson will be in a position as an adviser to football operations, and be the guy in photos who always looks like he's there, but his mind is somewhere else. Kind of like; "Lights on! Nobody home!"

Mixed feelings based on that article. Clearly sounds like something is going on with TTs health. I'm glad he is done as GM, and hopefully he can still give something to the organization, but sincerely hope his health is not in jeopardy.

I defended TT for years. I didn't like the guy on a personal level, but thought he had some sort of social anxiety issue or something that made him less than approachable. People used to say it was ego, but I don't think "ego" was ever his problem. I think he was just one of those socially awkward people, so didn't like answering questions, and had team building methods that he was comfortable with. I don't think schmoozing with FA's was his thing either. Hopefully the new GM will have better social skills and a more aggressive approach to putting together a roster.

He was frustrating to the fanbase, but as someone said above, his tenure was as successful as Wolf's from a production standpoint. He drafted a franchise, HOF quality QB and put together one Super Bowl winner and quite honestly, due to no fault of his, should have gotten to another Super Bowl, had there not been the epic collapse against Seattle.

Saw that last night.... I still go with Brian G and look outside as well. Apparently, Murphy saw enough and did the right thing.

It gets more and more interesting to me. I didn't think Murphy would step in and do anything....liking the status quo. I know they 'have' to look outside the organization but if they want to keep cohesiveness, IMO they should promote someone from within. I don't know much about the front office, so I could be speaking out of turn, but these guys may have had their own ideas of what to do but were over-ruled by Thompson.

BTW, who hires the DC, Head coach or GM and HC?

It gets more and more interesting to me. I didn't think Murphy would step in and do anything....liking the status quo. I know they 'have' to look outside the organization but if they want to keep cohesiveness, IMO they should promote someone from within. I don't know much about the front office, so I could be speaking out of turn, but these guys may have had their own ideas of what to do but were over-ruled by Thompson.

BTW, who hires the DC, Head coach or GM and HC?
DC is hired by the Head coach.

DC is hired by the Head coach.

And I would think this all but eliminates Whitt, Perry and Moss from consideration as DC. With this amount of shakeup you’re not going to have just more of the same.

Back