Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

Reality, the problem is, I'm not sure McCarthy would have played Taysom Hill even if he'd have been smart enough to keep him in the first place.

he would have had no choice if he was smart enough to cut hundley loose when it was clear that he isn't an nfl qb.

I am not a fan of getting hiring Russ Ball. Its no secret that I dislike TT but theres something to be said for a scout GM constantly on the road perosnally doing the scouting. I just think he sucks at it but his intentions were good.

I dont see Russ Ball going out on the road and going to all star games and personally attending pro days. It would be a waste of his time even if he did because he wouldnt know what hes looking for.
Meanwhile both Wolf and Gutekunst have been mentored in that role already. Im leaning towards Wolf here. Hes the more inexperienced but I think he would be the more passionate and aggressive GM. I also think if Wolf gets the job Gutenkunst would leave.

The question that Ball will have to answer---since you have zero actual experience actually evaluating players, who is the guy that's going to do that for you. And, no, the choice can't be Wolf or Gutenkest because they are most likely gone after this year when their contracts are up.

Sorry, but I don't care how many stories praising Ball he managed to get placed in the papers, it doesn't change the fact he has no demonstrated ability to perform the task the Packers need the most right now--player evaluation.

The question that Ball will have to answer---since you have zero actual experience actually evaluating players, who is the guy that's going to do that for you. And, no, the choice can't be Wolf or Gutenkest because they are most likely gone after this year when their contracts are up.

Sorry, but I don't care how many stories praising Ball he managed to get placed in the papers, it doesn't change the fact he has no demonstrated ability to perform the task the Packers need the most right now--player evaluation.

It would probably be close to a total house cleaning. Maybe he goes out and gets some guys or promotes the other guys. He might have a talent for finding the right talent evaluators. It sure will make it interesting.

Thing Murphy has to have in back of his mind too and hopefully it comes into play that if he hires Russ Ball as GM many will accuse him of nepotism because of his close friendship with Russ Ball.

So thought for some people to chew on. Packers bring in Schnieder as GM. He rolls with MM as HC for 2018. After season unless Packers go to Super Bowl he fires MM and then hires Bevell as his HC.

So thought for some people to chew on. Packers bring in Schnieder as GM. He rolls with MM as HC for 2018. After season unless Packers go to Super Bowl he fires MM and then hires Bevell as his HC.
Schnieder is out of the picture.... be shocked if Seattle let him go now.

Schneider won't be the choice, but I will say that it's not too far off when Bevell moves up to a HC job, either in college, or the NFL.

Bob McGinn citing sources today that Ball will be GM and Gutekunst EVP Player blah blah. Thinks it’ll be a joint thing with one guy having a slightly bigger title.

Also says MM is on the outs with Ball and may well leave on his own. Finally says Fangio is the preference for DC but Fangio won’t go to GB unless Capers says it’s ok (they’re close)

Back