Ted Thompson steps down as GM the next GM is......

I absolutely don't want a "cap guy" as GM - has to be a "football guy", who then gets sound cap advice from a bean counter like Ball.

My guess is it will be Ball, and Green Bay will never see a FA again.

There's a lot at stake here and they better get it right. If not were screwed big time.

Thing Murphy has to have in back of his mind too and hopefully it comes into play that if he hires Russ Ball as GM many will accuse him of nepotism because of his close friendship with Russ Ball.
When you hire relatives it's nepotism.
When you hire your friends it is Government.;)

Bob McGinn citing sources today that Ball will be GM and Gutekunst EVP Player blah blah. Thinks it’ll be a joint thing with one guy having a slightly bigger title.

Also says MM is on the outs with Ball and may well leave on his own. Finally says Fangio is the preference for DC but Fangio won’t go to GB unless Capers says it’s ok (they’re close)
Have been seeing that in other places too. Not just from McGinn. Seems like BGute and Ball are mutually linked.
On the other hand....if they pick Ball- MM might be leaving?? Hmmmm......let me kick that one around a little.

Have been seeing that in other places too. Not just from McGinn. Seems like BGute and Ball are mutually linked.
On the other hand....if they pick Ball- MM might be leaving?? Hmmmm......let me kick that one around a little.

Maybe MM wants more control of roster and thinks that will Wolf or Gutekunst he would be able to have more say. If Ball gets job maybe he thinks it will be like TT he won't have any say in the roster and would rather walk away now instead of getting fired in a year

I like him best.... just me

Packers GM candidate Brian Gutekunst part of Ron Wolf scouting tree :

Here are 10 things to know about a longtime scout in the running to replace Ted Thompson as the Packers' next general manager.

1. Football family: His father, John Gutekunst, was head coach at the University of Minnesota from 1985-91, compiling a 29-37-2 record. Brian Gutekunst, 44, was born July 19, 1973 in Raleigh, N.C., where his father was starting his coaching career as an assistant at Duke.

2. Family man: Gutekunst and his wife, Jen, have three daughters (Marley, 12; Joie, 11; and Kacey, 6) and one son (Michael, 8).

3. Wisconsin roots: Gutekunst played two seasons of college football at Wisconsin-La Crosse. A shoulder injury ended his career, but he remained involved in the game. Gutekunst served as an assistant coach with the team in 1995-96; he was a linebackers coach during the team’s 1995 Division III national-championship season.

4. On the coaching track: Gutekunst’s first NFL experience came in the summer of 1995. During training camp, he assisted the New Orleans Saints’ coaching staff with the offensive line. It deviated from his father, who spent his career coaching defense.

5. Switch to scouting side: In 1998, Gutekunst made a decision that would define the rest of his career. His first full-time employment in scouting came that year as a scouting assistant with the Kansas City Chiefs. Gutekunst’s time with the Chiefs overlapped with the end of Packers vice president of football administration and player finance Russ Ball’s time in Kansas City. Ball was an administrative assistant to then-Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer. It was also the first time Gutekunst worked in the same organization as Packers coach Mike McCarthy, the Chiefs' quarterbacks coach in 1998.

6. Joining the Packers: Gutekunst first worked with the Packers' scouting department as an intern in 1997. After one year with the Chiefs, Gutekunst returned to the Packers when general manager Ron Wolf hired him as a college scout Dec. 30, 1998. Gutekunst primarily scouted the East Coast in his first two years before transitioning to the Southeast, a plum job because of the fertile Southeastern Conference.

7. Impressive pedigree: As a Wolf hire, Gutekunst hails from a long line that has produced several successful NFL talent evaluators. The Wolf tree includes five men who worked under him in Green Bay and went on to become general managers: Thompson (assistant director of pro personnel 1992, director of pro personnel 1993-97, director of player personnel 1997-99), Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider (intern 1992, pro personnel assistant 1993-96), Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey (scout 1991-96, director of college scouting 1997-98), Oakland Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie (pro personnel assistant 1994-96, director of pro personnel 1997-Wolf’s retirement in 2001) and Scot McCloughan (regional scout 1994-99). Gutekunst started late in Wolf’s tenure, and most of his time with the Packers has come working under Thompson, but he would be the sixth from the Wolf line to become a general manager.

8. The corporate ladder: After 13 years as a college scout, Gutekunst was promoted to director of college scouting in 2012. Three years later, on March 21, 2016, he was promoted to director of player personnel. In that role, Gutekunst was one of Thompson’s top lieutenants. He has been involved in most player acquisition decisions.

9. Not his first interview: When Gutekunst interviewed with Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy for the GM vacancy Friday, he had plenty of experience with the process. In the past year, Gutekunst interviewed for GM jobs with the Buffalo Bills and San Francisco 49ers. He was thought to be on the short list of candidates in San Francisco before removing himself from consideration, a sign that he was not going to get the job. The 49ers ultimately hired John Lynch, while the Bills hired Brandon Beane.

10. Potential backup option: If the Packers don’t hire him, Gutekunst still could have a chance of gaining a GM job this offseason. While there are fewer openings than a year ago, the Houston Texans reportedly have interest in Gutekunst, as well as New England’s Nick Caserio and Monti Ossenfort, and Buffalo’s Brian Gaine, according to NFL Network.

Schneider won't be the choice, but I will say that it's not too far off when Bevell moves up to a HC job, either in college, or the NFL.
If the Packers hire Bevell, I’m done with them. He is HORRIBLE! The guy that called the worst play in SB history. They had the most powerful back in his prime at the 1 yard line. NE couldn’t tackle Marshawn the whole game. He was dragging 4 and 5 guys several yards the whole game long. And Bevell calls a pass play into the heart of a defense lined up to stop the run? No thank you!!

Of course, if any team would be dumb enough to hire him as HC...it would have to be Green Bay...

So Packers have wanted to bring a couple guys back from the Wolf tree but McKenzie turned down interview and Seattle blocks interview. Seems this GM search is turning into a circus.

So Packers have wanted to bring a couple guys back from the Wolf tree but McKenzie turned down interview and Seattle blocks interview. Seems this GM search is turning into a circus.

those interviews would have just been for show anyway. mcckenzie was the rooney rule guy.

if it is true that mccarthy will leave if ball is the new gm, that should give some people pause. mccarthy's biggest gripe with thompson was that he was not aggressive about bringing players in from all avenues of player acquisition. i believe he was also frustrated with thompson having the final say on which players to keep and which to cut at the end of training camp. i'm not a big fan of mccarthy, but i can certainly understand why those things would bug him. and my hunch is that they would only get worse if you have a cap guy like ball calling the shots.

it's not that i'm really wishing that we keep mccarthy, it's just that i see a warning sign here.

if it is true that mccarthy will leave if ball is the new gm, that should give some people pause. mccarthy's biggest gripe with thompson was that he was not aggressive about bringing players in from all avenues of player acquisition. i believe he was also frustrated with thompson having the final say on which players to keep and which to cut at the end of training camp. i'm not a big fan of mccarthy, but i can certainly understand why those things would bug him. and my hunch is that they would only get worse if you have a cap guy like ball calling the shots.

it's not that i'm really wishing that we keep mccarthy, it's just that i see a warning sign here.

You make a really good point. With the presser and all the different reports coming out, I think you've pieced it together nicely. There is definitely some undercurrent to the whole situation.

Back