The Khalil Mack Farce

Other thought. Maybe more then money is Gutey has a plan. He drafted from strength of draft and rebuilt corners. Next year is suppose to be pass rushers.

To have as much invested in two players and what happens if one or both suffer serious injury? Cap hell

Another thought. Ammunition for draft to trade up for maybe a desired pass rusher or maybe even a QB to pass torch to in 3 seasons like TT did. AR is older and has had season ending injuries.

Just counter thought and devil's advocate. :)

Who on earth are they going to draft at the end of the round that would have anywhere near the impact Mack would have had?? If that’s what kept them from making the deal, then this one feels a little Ted Thompson-esque.

I understand the Bears threw in a 3rd and 6th as well. They gave up a LOT. I think it has to be more than just not being willing to give up 2 firsts. There was more. Gute is too on top of it and too aggressive to let that stop him.

However, I do wish the Packers had the Bears LB corp. We are nowhere near them in that department. Ted ignored it and went late picks way too long. LB is critical in a 3-4. That was beyond foolish, imo.

They also received a 2nd and 5th, so, after the two 1st rounders, they actually came out a bit better.

They also received a 2nd and 5th, so, after the two 1st rounders, they actually came out a bit better.
Very possible that all said and done with these picks points wise coming and going that Raiders end up getting worth one top 10 pick for Mack

Still feels like a missed opportunity though, doesn't it? A top 2 player at a position of great need was available and GB didn't get him. That's the bottom line.

Still feels like a missed opportunity though, doesn't it? A top 2 player at a position of great need was available and GB didn't get him. That's the bottom line.
But in cap age you can't afford all the top talent you sign few big name guys rest of roster suffers with low wage talent

But in cap age you can't afford all the top talent you sign few big name guys rest of roster suffers with low wage talent

Yeah I get that and logically it makes sense, I'm just talking about the emotional reaction of a fan.

I mean, Rodgers' new deal is a "3 years then we'll see" type of extension. So there is your "guaranteed" window of when AR will be QB of the Packers - it may last longer, we don't know, but for now we can be pretty sure it's 3 years. How likely is it that first round draft picks in 2019 will have the same impact as Mack would in the next 3 years? It depends on how we use them of course but it seems far more likely that Mack will be the greater impact player over a young DL/edge guy. By the time those 2019 picks hit their prime, AR may well be gone.

And as far as the money goes, yeah maybe a massive deal would have put them in cap hell but so be it. When Rodgers goes it's likely they're going to be in football purgatory anyway so the rebuild will be more or less total, likely from Murphy on down to the finance guys and the coaches.

It's all moot now, the Bears still suck etc etc.

yeah, if you are really looking at winning it all while you still have rodgers close to his prime, then you might have to take some extraordinary risks and maybe even mortgage your future just a little. every draft pick is a crapshoot. what's the old saying? a mack in the hand is worth two in the draft, or something like that.

Not that it wouldn't have been great to get Mack, but (historically speaking) Pettine's defenses have centered around very strong DL play and ILB's, with less importance (compared to the magnitude of Dom Capers defenses) placed on the play of OLB's.
Pettine took the reins as DC for the NYJ's in 2009, and his defense ranked #1 in fewest yards allowed/game (252.3) and #1 in scoring defense (14.8). He did that with Calvin Pace and Bart Scott at OLB. David Harris was the key MLB who did a lot of damage with 5.5 sacks and 2 INT's.
In 2010, with the same guys at OLB his defense was ranked #3 in yards allowed and #6 in scoring defense. MLB David Harris, again was strong in the middle with 3 sacks and a recovered fumble.
In 2011, Mo Wilkerson gets drafted. Defense ranks #5 in yards and 20th in scoring. MLB Harris has 5 sacks and 4 INT's.
2012 his defense was #8 and #20 and 2013 (as DC for BUF) his defense was #10 and #20.

Pettine's defenses (based on his track record) tend to do most of their damage up the middle with the DL and the ILB's. His use of OLB's seems to have been more for run containment and sacks gotten from the pressure up the middle forcing QB's off their dime.

If GB's DL can play as well as is hoped, and Martinez can have the kind of year he is hoping to have, it somewhat calms that "If Only" nerve about not getting Khalil Mack.

The draft next year is very strong/deep at DL, but also has a good group at Edge/OLB. If Gute plays it right, they should get a couple solid guys with those two picks. IIRC, Matthews was picked at #26. Here's hoping!

Here's a couple of Pettine quotes from earlier this year.

“It starts up front. If you want to defend the pass in the NFL, people talk about the exterior pass rush, I think the interior pass rush is as important or maybe potentially more important.”

“If I’m on offense, it’s a lot easier to handle guys off the edges via formation, or chipping or doubles. Whereas inside, one guy, maybe two they’re getting one-on-ones. Those guys have to win. If you can be dominant inside, that just has a ripple effect throughout your defense.”

Last edited:
I had to read this twice......seemed like a 'glass half FULL' comment (from a bear perspective)

I had hoped it only needed to be read once - getting a 2nd and 5th after giving up a 3rd and a 6th looks good to me. I have no problem being half full for other teams - they can't rip my heart out if they fail. :)

Back