Wisconsin Fires Paul Chryst

I have lived in Madison for 29 years and have some minor ins with the FB program for those that don't know.The timing is the surprise but the fact that PC was fired itself not so much honestly.

Somethings been off since the 2018 season. The whole program had a weird vibe, some off the field issues have occurred that were uncharacteristic of Wisconsin football and too many handled in a sloppy get your hands off manor. The team never seemed to gel the past two seasons at all.

Paul while likeable was also known to have put off some folks around town and in the university at times. If I had to personally put a spin on it I would say part burn out and part being out of touch caused this. I think Paul was a solid OC and position coach but that being the head guy was too much for him long term.

Real quick like take on Jimmy Leonhard. Very well liked and respected in local circles, has his house in Cross Plains that him and Katie just thrive on. Be forewarned, Jimmy loves her more than football and if it wears on that he'll walk. Point being maybe doing the same thing again isn't the smartest move.;)

Great narrative at the end. I read a big article on Jim and his wife's house and how he approaches their marriage and such. This is more complicated in terms of him running the program than I thought. gp((

In a way, we all could see the handwriting on the wall. The team has been listless to this point. They had bursts where they worked it, but more periods of time like they were treading water, waiting for something to happen. It reminded me of how birds are, just prior to a huge storm. They know something is going to happen, but don't have a clue to what it is.

Even watching Chryst on the sideline seemed different. He seemed almost detached from the emotions of the game, more so than usual. It was like he had his mind on bigger issues.

It's going to be interesting seeing where the offense goes now. I'm going to take a long look at it against Northwestern. I hope we're impressed by something - anything - that Bobby Engram can add to their arsenal.

Based on player interviews and some reporting I have this sense that the locker room is not broken but it’s having an issue wrapping their heads around what happened. In previous years guys Sanborn and Chenal were proven leaders and I don’t see that presence now. Jimmy also mentioned emotions many times. If this team is flat Saturday it’s done

From the people I know, Chryst's value to Texas is in the belief that he's the guy who created the great RBs who have come out of Wisconsin during his time on the Badger sideline. They're looking to up their running game, to become more competitive in the SEC, where they're headed.

Sark wants an advisor, not a nuts and bolts coach. It's going to be a very temporary thing.

From the people I know, Chryst's value to Texas is in the belief that he's the guy who created the great RBs who have come out of Wisconsin during his time on the Badger sideline. They're looking to up their running game, to become more competitive in the SEC, where they're headed.

Sark wants an advisor, not a nuts and bolts coach. It's going to be a very temporary thing.
As BigCheese said 1-year gig, it's a favor for both sides keeping PC relevant for the next cycle.

Back