2018 Off-Season Wish List Thread

Actually it was and BG addressed it today. He stated the roster needs to be more competitive than it is...even late in the yr when guys are banged up. He wants it so if your not doing well than the 2 deep guy can come in and take your job. That's not happening with a bunch of UDFA.

To me that statement is reflective on drafting better and getting a higher quality player.
That's fair but BG has an advantage this year over TT in the last 5 years. He is picking 10 spots earlier so the talent should be a tad better. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy TT is gone. I just don't feel like anyone could have done much better draft wise drafting 25-29 every year.

Mark87 said:
Actually it was and BG addressed it today. He stated the roster needs to be more competitive than it is...even late in the yr when guys are banged up. He wants it so if your not doing well than the 2 deep guy can come in and take your job. That's not happening with a bunch of UDFA.

To me that statement is reflective on drafting better and getting a higher quality player.​
That's fair but BG has an advantage this year over TT in the last 5 years. He is picking 10 spots earlier so the talent should be a tad better. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy TT is gone. I just don't feel like anyone could have done much better draft wise drafting 25-29 every year.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that the lack of depth was caused by position in draft, quality of the players drafted, and the lack of free agents being signed, to make the team stronger. The Thompson theory of "keep the team young" is fine, as long as the shelves are stocked with quality back ups who are working towards being contributors in the future, not just guys filling out a roster spot for minimum wage. We all know Thompson wasn't in to signing free agents. They cost too much money.

Right or wrong - it doesn't matter. What mattered was that early on, when he got to GB, there were guys at level II on the roster who had the capability of playing the game well enough to be starters. Sherman spent money, to get the best talent he felt he could. Of course, the way he got them created cap hell for us, because we were stretched so thin that we were in a position where new signees were tough to fit into our cap. We were all glad that ended, because we saw the team about to go into a death spiral towards the bottom.

But, as good as Thompson's theory is, it also has it's weakness. Street FAs are rarely better than the veterans, who will command more money. You can live and die on the cheap side of the cap. We've seen it for years.

Maybe it means that he won't believe in quantity over quality which was he way Ted seemed to go. Maybe he trades some of the 12 picks he will have and make moves up.

Just no more Spriggs trades, please.

I agree with this, BUT there is a huge missing part. This one aspect is what separates us and NE.
TT got caught drafting for need. He passed up BPA for need. There were times he could have plugged a hole with a cheaper, veteran FA but drafted to plug the hole instead. All the mock draft sims folks do (I love that shit!) are based on need. You can't really draft that way and enjoy sustained success. Ironic that TTs last year he actually went and got vet FAs to fill holes, he might still be here if he would have made that modification in his process a few years earlier.
I do think draft position plays a part. Picking 28th in EACH round will diminish your talent.

Draft position, to me, is somewhat like the discussion of speed we had - all things being equal, faster is better. In the draft, those picking higher (excluding trades, a whole different subject) are worse teams. In a game where about 30 players have significant time during a game, no one player is going to make a significant overall difference (noted exception, as a Packer fan, is QB :) ). So, let's grant the bottom feeders one really good draft choice (but, from draft history, not necessarily a really good player) as a freebie. From then on, we're drafting ahead of them, in that our low first round pick is better than their high second rounder.

TEAM NEEDS
2 or 3 pass rushing OLB – (draft one 1st or 2nd)
1 CB – need veteran
1 TE – (perhaps draft 1st or 2nd)
1 OT – (release Bulaga) 2nd tier older vet plays both OT - like QB critical to have reliable backup LT
1 WR – (release Cobb OR Nelson – probably Cobb) (perhaps draft 2nd or 3rd)

OLB
Move Matthews inside permanently.
Return Perry, Biegel, Gilbert
Draft 1st or 2nd
Sign 1 FA 2 if possible
Based only on stats and salary – without essential injury, attitude or leadership info - I like these guys:
Player - Age-team-GP-tack-sack-QB hits – 2017 salary
I’d steal one of Chicago’s guys
Sam Acho 29 – chi –16-42-3-17 855
Lamarr Houston 30 – chi –10-17-5-9 900
Junior Galette 29 –was–16-20-3-13 800
one of these youngsters
Devon Kennard ---- 26 -nyg - 15-42-4-7 - 581
Marquis Flowers --- 25 – ne –16-30-4-4 - 574
Cassius Marsh ------ 25 – sf – 15-27-3-6 - 672
I’d consider either of these guys if failed getting any of those above
Connor Barwin ----- 31 – la – 14-34-5-12 - 3.5m
Barkevious Mingo - 27 – ind –16-44-2-7 - 2mil
(FYI - Ahmad Brooks - 33 – gb – 16-24-1-4 - 3.5m)

DEF. 2NDARY
Keep Burnett strictly at SS alongside Dix
Sign FA vet CB if possible – use FA, King, Randall, House as primary CBs.
one of those 4 as Nickel.
Try Jones as dime & in the box near LOS
with the experience from last season - lots of youngsters to develop - Brice, Evans, Hawkins, etc.

What to do, what to do….. I have a couple suggestions.

I have two non A list free agents I’d grab:

DE/OLB Trent Murphy Washington 6-6 265, drafted 2nd round out of Stanford. Had a slow start his first two years. Did have 8 sacks his third year. Last year under rookie contract he was suspended 4 games for PEDS, was injured and spent year on IR. He’s got the ‘nasty’ I think our defense needs and was really coming on when he got hurt. Could be had for a reasonable cost.

S Jarius Byrd most recently with Carolina. Byrd cashed in enormously after his one year playing for a guy named Pettine in Buffalo. Might just be a camp body, but would help with the learning curve of Pettine’s system. Wouldn’t cost more than minimum. Would especially do this if we don’t sign Burnett!

Would also trade one of our 5th round comp picks for TE Maxx Williams Baltimore. 6-4 255. He is still under his rookie contract. Maxx was a second round pick and is currently buried on Baltimores depth chart. Rookie TE hardly ever contribute, but Maxx is heading into his fourth year and would be worth a flier. He’s a better TE than we could draft in the 5th round.

Then the draft.

1st- Harold Landry OLB Boston College. Speed rusher. Murphy fills the elephant role. Landry is the speed guy.

2nd- JC Jackson CB Maryland. Superb athlete. Kicked out of Florida in 2015. Maryland coaches have reported no problems in his two years as a Terp (not perp). Sub 4.5 speed at 6-1 195.

3rd- Parris Campbell WR Ohio St. 6-1 210 4.44. Underutilized by the JT Barrett show. Good strength/speed. Not quite as polished as Michael Thomas coming out of Ohio St. But would contribute on special teams and can take the top off of the defense.

3 Comp- Frank Ragnow C/G Arkansas 6-4 315. Would compete for RG immediately while providing a back up at center. Tough nosed technician. Pretty high pick for interior lineman, but he would really solidify the middle of the OL. Leaving Bak, Bulaga, Spriggs and Murphy at OTs.
(this pick could easily be a TE or Edge rusher.)

That’s as far as I’ll go for now. Just too many variables with the new defensive staff. Plus, I don’t have TTs tendencies to rely on anymore. Who knows? We might even draft short, fast CBs!!

Doubt Detroit lets Ziggy get away, he's going to get paid stupid money on the market too. Fuller is interesting, I assumed he'd still be under contract.

Back