2020 NFL opt out proposal

When the CBA was being negotiated 90% of the leaks came from what ownership was either pushing or pushed back on. As I said before this is negotiating. It’s a process. Lot of the same narrative here. Goodell does not run the NFL. 32 owners do. I find it irresponsible, days before camp open that the only thing being reported is about money but with this league I should not be surprised. If you believe Watt’s tweet, and he’s not the only one there is no clarity the week camps open. It’s the MLB playbook
Whether the leaks came from the owners or the players, I really don't care. I know the players want to play, and the owners obviously support that because it means revenues. Owners want to protect their interests as well as maximize their profits, and the NFLPA and the players (and of course, their agents) are going to say and do whatever they can in the best interest of the players - those things are a given. If in fact that there is still no agreement on protocol, when they've had more time than the NBA or MLB - I agree that is an issue. But the NFLPA asking for no preseason games just 2 weeks ago obviously had the impact on the owners also pushing back on things. Negotiations are a 2 way street. But I still doubt that the NFL, given all the rules that were implemented over the last few years in the name of player safety, would not be willing to do what is recommended for Covid safety.

Whether the leaks came from the owners or the players, I really don't care. I know the players want to play, and the owners obviously support that because it means revenues. Owners want to protect their interests as well as maximize their profits, and the NFLPA and the players (and of course, their agents) are going to say and do whatever they can in the best interest of the players - those things are a given. If in fact that there is still no agreement on protocol, when they've had more time than the NBA or MLB - I agree that is an issue. But the NFLPA asking for no preseason games just 2 weeks ago obviously had the impact on the owners also pushing back on things. Negotiations are a 2 way street. But I still doubt that the NFL, given all the rules that were implemented over the last few years in the name of player safety, would not be willing to do what is recommended for Covid safety.
The issue is now is about protocols. That should have been the #1 issue from day 1. As to revenues I would agree that the goal posts have changed a bit but all parties have know for months that fans in the stands was not going to be 100%, only differences was pre season and that’s a small fraction of any revenue stream. Hell they have been discussing a flat cap or escrow for months. Owners are somewhat protected on the $230+m they get each year from tv money, it’s essentially their payroll money bank.

The issue is now is about protocols. That should have been the #1 issue from day 1. As to revenues I would agree that the goal posts have changed a bit but all parties have know for months that fans in the stands was not going to be 100%, only differences was pre season and that’s a small fraction of any revenue stream. Hell they have been discussing a flat cap or escrow for months. Owners are somewhat protected on the $230+m they get each year from tv money, it’s essentially their payroll money bank.
So you've never answered - so you really think the NFL / teams / owners are ignoring recommended protocols to maximize player's safety? Why, to save money?

So you've never answered - so you really think the NFL / teams / owners are ignoring recommended protocols to maximize player's safety? Why, to save money?
their track record on player safety is not stellar. That said they are buying time to squeeze players. Again nothing new

their track record on player safety is not stellar. That said they are buying time to squeeze players. Again nothing new
"Their track record on player safety is not stellar." Except everything that the league has put into place the last few years in the name of player safety has been met with anger by fans and players for "taking the fun out of the league". Maybe 10+ years ago player safety was not an issue . . . but as I said earlier the NFL has a lawyer running it and player safety, and the fear of new lawsuits, is a main driving force.

Ignoring no. Want short cuts yes. It’s all about money

"Their track record on player safety is not stellar." Except everything that the league has put into place the last few years in the name of player safety has been met with anger by fans and players for "taking the fun out of the league". Maybe 10+ years ago player safety was not an issue . . . but as I said earlier the NFL has a lawyer running it and player safety, and the fear of new lawsuits, is a main driving force.
No 32 owners run the league

When the CBA was being negotiated 90% of the leaks came from what ownership was either pushing or pushed back on. As I said before this is negotiating. It’s a process. Lot of the same narrative here. Goodell does not run the NFL. 32 owners do. I find it irresponsible, days before camp open that the only thing being reported is about money but with this league I should not be surprised. If you believe Watt’s tweet, and he’s not the only one there is no clarity the week camps open. It’s the MLB playbook

The history of the United States pretty much shows management is not to be trusted and rarely has employees' best interests in mind. I'm much more inclined to listen to the players right now than the owners.

Yes, like I said of course they have a plan. But here's a fact of business: the owners always have more power than the workers. Sports is entertainment, but it's not an essential business. And for the most part, the business of sports has given players a whole lot more freedom (and salary) than the average worker.
I don't recommend any player report if they're not comfortable with the protocols that "will be" put into place. But let's remember that sports is not essential - and there's already a whole lot of "stuff" going on with the NFL and social justice.

Back