2020 NFL opt out proposal

Yes, like I said of course they have a plan. But here's a fact of business: the owners always have more power than the workers. Sports is entertainment, but it's not an essential business. And for the most part, the business of sports has given players a whole lot more freedom (and salary) than the average worker.
I don't recommend any player report if they're not comfortable with the protocols that "will be" put into place. But let's remember that sports is not essential - and there's already a whole lot of "stuff" going on with the NFL and social justice.
What does the pandemic response/protections have to do with the NFL and social justice?

Trump administration has deemed athletes as essential workers, allowing foreign professionals to enter the U.S. to train and compete. Therefore their hinders need to get back to work.... How about they crawl over to their local fire station and hospital and cry a river about going to work? Oh, wait that won't work because those folks along with grocery store workers, warehouse worker, truckers the list goes on making way way way less worked all the way through this pandemic. I don't see folks whining and crying about their safety as you shop for food or call an ambulance ???

People need to stop coddling athletes like they are something special... they are entertainers paid large sums of $ to perform. Do it or don't get paid. Simple.

The history of the United States pretty much shows management is not to be trusted and rarely has employees' best interests in mind. I'm much more inclined to listen to the players right now than the owners.
I don't disagree with you, but unfortunately that's not going to change anyti
What does the pandemic response/protections have to do with the NFL and social justice?
The connection is that the players have already "convinced" the NFL to be a social justice platform, which could have an impact on the negotiations between players and the league/owners. There's more than just Covid going on right now.

"Their track record on player safety is not stellar." Except everything that the league has put into place the last few years in the name of player safety has been met with anger by fans and players for "taking the fun out of the league". Maybe 10+ years ago player safety was not an issue . . . but as I said earlier the NFL has a lawyer running it and player safety, and the fear of new lawsuits, is a main driving force.
The only time NFL owners cared about player safety was when they were forced to. They never were proactive.

The only time NFL owners cared about player safety was when they were forced to. They never were proactive.
I very much question how much the players are worried about their safety and more worried about how much salary they are guaranteed if they opt out or season gets shut down.

I very much question how much the players are worried about their safety and more worried about how much salary they are guaranteed if they opt out or season gets shut down.

they are concerned about both. But are the owners?

they are concerned about both. But are the owners?
I'm pretty sure they are NOW, because owners AND players have been forced to be more concerned about safety. Finger pointing and blaming the owners for past issues isn't going to solve anything.

I'm pretty sure they are NOW, because owners AND players have been forced to be more concerned about safety. Finger pointing and blaming the owners for past issues isn't going to solve anything.
Then why is the NFL ignoring the recommendation of a joint committee of experts paneled by both the league and NFLPA? 2 of those recommendations were eliminating pre season and grant a ramp-up period that delays the start of real football.

Just pull the plug on season owners make nothing players make nothing.

See NFL owners offered to go down to 1 game but players holding firm at no games. Players have to be willing to bargin not be willing to say it's our way or no way.

Back