2021 Badgers Football Thread

He hurt his shoulder in the Michigan game. That screwed him up for the rest of the season. I guess they didn't trust Wolf enough to have him start in his place.

I think we're going to see a pretty good QB under center when this season begins. Going on a healthy Mertz against Illinois, and what he did, if he's 60% that effective, he'll be in the top 3 in the Big 10.

I have a hunch we're going to see a pretty darned good mix of passing and rushing out of this team this year. I have a lot of confidence in their personnel to do a solid job. Not having OSU on the regular season schedule doesn't hurt matters either. They, as usual, are going to be a national power.
Post Michigan is also where he hit the Covid list. Did not practice for what 2-3 weeks. Illinois was just awful in the secondary so that’s a small small sample size. I am not saying our WR group is strong but compared to last year Pryor, Davis and Dike are not awful so that alone gives me hope.

The problem with RS and a solid player is that they jump to the NFL draft after their 4th year anyhow, not taking that 5th.
Yeah that’s a risk for sure but a 4 star kid with that much hype is not sitting. I would be shocked

The problem with RS and a solid player is that they jump to the NFL draft after their 4th year anyhow, not taking that 5th.
True he's gone after 3 years if he's any good

You don’t RS a kid who i am 95% sure he will be in the 2 deep rotation. Starting and # of snaps is not the same thing
Yeah with hype coming in if he's good as advertised he will play a bunch

Another ugly win and crappy play calling and QB play. I don't think Badgers finish better then 6-6.

Another ugly win and crappy play calling and QB play. I don't think Badgers finish better then 6-6.
I told you before the game defending the flexbone is a chore and it would be ugly. If they don't get the strip-sack score Army may have won the game because UW D was gassed.

Offensively UW has issues at WR, can't get separation and they run sloppy routes. Kudos to Army, a very well-coached program that gives 100% for 4 Qtrs.

I told you before the game defending the flexbone is a chore and it would be ugly. If they don't get the strip-sack score Army may have won the game because UW D was gassed.

Offensively UW has issues at WR, can't get separation and they run sloppy routes. Kudos to Army, a very well-coached program that gives 100% for 4 Qtrs.
Yeah agree. Right now if Purdue plays like they did yesterday UW can't beat them. UW losses to Iowa and also I think MN. Meaning UW needs to beat Rutgers, NW, and Nebraska to get to a bowl game.

Nothing in this game changed my mind about this Badger team. Mediocre OL. Mediocre QB. Mediocre (or worse) WRs. On top of that, they allowed Army to complete 5 of 6 passes to keep drives alive. If they can't cover the so-so receivers Army threw out there what happens next week against Purdue. I know Army's offense presented a unique challenge but still, the CBs don't seem able to cover in one-on-one situations.

I also wonder about toughness and conditioning with this team. Yes, the defense was gassed at the end, but this is a recurring pattern. The offense gets worse as the game moves along as though they are gassed, and despite rotating guys in, the defense also plays softer and slower. A strength and conditioning problem? Army was playing as tough and fast at the end as they did to start the game, on both sides of the ball. UW . . . not so much.

Right now Purdue and Iowa both look like losses. The rest of the schedule is against a quartet of crappy teams in Rutgers, Northwestern, Nebraska and Minnesota but with the way the Badgers are playing, a couple of bad breaks in one of those games could mean another loss. 7-5 looks like the most likely finish and 6-6 is not out of the question right now.

Nothing in this game changed my mind about this Badger team. Mediocre OL. Mediocre QB. Mediocre (or worse) WRs. On top of that, they allowed Army to complete 5 of 6 passes to keep drives alive. If they can't cover the so-so receivers Army threw out there what happens next week against Purdue. I know Army's offense presented a unique challenge but still, the CBs don't seem able to cover in one-on-one situations.
With all due respect, the scheme causes that issue on the passes, my goal in that O is a steady dose of dive and midline at 2-3 yards until we lull you to sleep and you are tired of tackling then you go with a play-action pass or blast left/right. Both TD for Army was the product of over pursuit by a tired defense.

Frankly Army missed on some play calls that were there IMHO.

UW doesn't have a conditioning issue as much as depth. At some spots the drop-off is big. OL is still a mess under Joe and they really need more weapons at WR to be effective.

Back