2021 Draft Simulator

If his biggest weakness is lack of strength, that's the easiest thing to fix over time. Feet and balance are the most important thing I think, but even then it's not certain. Jason Spriggs was quick and athletic but came from a spread system and couldn't adjust. He had quick feet but I remember he seemed to stop moving them when engaged, like he couldn't do two things at once. I don't know what they run at NDSU.
Read this. It may be helpful.

cool article. thanks!
More to rp’s wondering about the NDSU offense, the article suggests to me that he has the athletic profile the Packers desire and he has played in a scheme that is compatible with what GB is running.
The only other real question there might be.........Is he worth the #29 pick?
IMO, that’s too early for me. If the Packers could find a trading partner and drop back between 36-40, then I’d feel better about taking him there.
The additional upside to drafting him is that in ~4 yrs he could slide into Bak’s spot when his time in GB is done. They wouldn’t have to look for that franchise type L-OT.

More to rp’s wondering about the NDSU offense, the article suggests to me that he has the athletic profile the Packers desire and he has played in a scheme that is compatible with what GB is running.
The only other real question there might be.........Is he worth the #29 pick?
IMO, that’s too early for me. If the Packers could find a trading partner and drop back between 36-40, then I’d feel better about taking him there.
The additional upside to drafting him is that in ~4 yrs he could slide into Bak’s spot when his time in GB is done. They wouldn’t have to look for that franchise type L-OT.
It really depends team to team, doesn't it? Whatever evals we have access to that put him in the 36-40 range, it's just one "team's" evaluation, and GB's could be much different.

Broadly speaking, I just want them to get good players and not get hung up on value. There are limits to that, of course, because that's how you wind up with AJ Dillon in the 2nd, or Josiah Deguara in the 3rd. At the same time, focusing too much on where yo think a guy should be slotted is also how you wind up making huge mistakes like trading down away from TJ Watt in favor of Kevin King and Vince Biegel, or trading UP for Jordan Love because you think he's the last guy with a "first round grade" on the board and you don't want to miss out.

And the other aspect, much as I may hate it, is that they just need a tackle. The draft-media industry tends to obsess about WRs but I don't know how they can go into next season with the OT situation they have, with Bakh likely starting on PUP or IR.

It really depends team to team, doesn't it? Whatever evals we have access to that put him in the 36-40 range, it's just one "team's" evaluation, and GB's could be much different.

Broadly speaking, I just want them to get good players and not get hung up on value. There are limits to that, of course, because that's how you wind up with AJ Dillon in the 2nd, or Josiah Deguara in the 3rd. At the same time, focusing too much on where yo think a guy should be slotted is also how you wind up making huge mistakes like trading down away from TJ Watt in favor of Kevin King and Vince Biegel, or trading UP for Jordan Love because you think he's the last guy with a "first round grade" on the board and you don't want to miss out.

And the other aspect, much as I may hate it, is that they just need a tackle. The draft-media industry tends to obsess about WRs but I don't know how they can go into next season with the OT situation they have, with Bakh likely starting on PUP or IR.
While I agree OT is a major need it’s not a simple plug and play position either. Throwing a rookie in the fire with no OTA’s , possibly a minimal camp is not ideal either. I get it’s not easy for a CB or DL either but the learning curve is steep

While I agree OT is a major need it’s not a simple plug and play position either. Throwing a rookie in the fire with no OTA’s , possibly a minimal camp is not ideal either. I get it’s not easy for a CB or DL either but the learning curve is steep
Some big holes on the roster at positions that aren't plug and play, absolutely. It's the compound effect of draft misses over the past 5-6 years. Spriggs, Josh Jackson, Montravius Adams - guys drafted high at those spots, expected to provide not just depth but starting ability, but the team will get nothing from them.

I read somewhere that the Packers could consider Runyan at R-OT until they can get a draft pick up to speed.

Since he was all-B1G at OT in both his Jr and Sr year at MICH, then that may give them some flexibility along the OL until they can get all the more permanent pieces into place.

Regardless, they still need to draft an OT. But if Runyan can fill in for a bit, then maybe it's not a Day 1 draft need.

Regardless, they still need to draft an OT. But if Runyan can fill in for a bit, then maybe it's not a Day 1 draft need.
this is in my line of thinking also. As has been mentioned there will be a run on OL so just dont reach.

this is in my line of thinking also. As has been mentioned there will be a run on OL so just dont reach.
I don't know if Runyan can play OT though I think Runayn is a good fit at guard but don't know if he has the reach to play a effective OT.

I don't know if Runyan can play OT though I think Runayn is a good fit at guard but don't know if he has the reach to play a effective OT.
well, don't let the fact that he was first team all-b1g and the starting left tackle for michigan the last two years confuse you. and just because his father played 14 seasons in the nfl, including 12 straight seasons as the starting right tackle without ever missing a game, doesn't mean that jr. is going to do the same.

he has been compared to breno giacomini, which doesn't bode well for the packers ability to develop and use him properly.

Back