2021 Off Season Thread

It's hard to deny the fact they've been overly conservative. They have done nothing to fill voids, except bring in low level players, and unproven draft picks when more than a band-aid is needed.
Thats a function of cap management, which can easily be debated on both sides. If you dont mind the NOLA strategy of kicking the can down the road then you have more flexibility. But you risk cap hell. Most teams limit guarantees to 3 years like GB and that part I tend to agree with. The bigger issue filling holes is player evaluation both on the pro side and college side

Thats a function of cap management, which can easily be debated on both sides. If you dont mind the NOLA strategy of kicking the can down the road then you have more flexibility. But you risk cap hell. Most teams limit guarantees to 3 years like GB and that part I tend to agree with. The bigger issue filling holes is player evaluation both on the pro side and college side
You're right. It's their belief they are good evaluators. The truth is, they are average at best. Therefore, they should also be looking at mid-range free agents that can fill gaps. They can get a lot of them for about the same money as untested draft choices below the second round, and the length of contract is more cap friendly in many cases.

I say they're more cap friendly only because you aren't buying a pig in a poke, and it can be geared to low cost guarantees if you choose to terminate the agreement early.

As for Cobb, I'm not going to knock this decision at this point. I'm not in the slightest bit convinced that Amari Rodgers is ready to step in and play a truly productive role in the slot. There are so many variances in how you play the position that it takes more than a playbook and a handful of practices to prepare.

What I do know is that the slot position is key in the ML offense. We also know that people compare Amari to Cobb, so that means an on-field tutorial is in the making.

What I do know is that the slot position is key in the ML offense.
100% disagree, you don't even want a slot WR in that offense. In a perfect world, ML wants a 2 WR set with a TE, HB with a FB/TE type back to match.

This offense feeds off the outside zone run game and play-action first and foremost. The whole slot thing was more of a MM thing and what Rodgers was used to for years. Now, people confuse that ML spent his year with the Rams and he wants that system but I have not seen that in his base TW. We know 100% from Jace that AR reverts back to his old stuff....which to me is another whole layer of cluster but I digress.

You're right. It's their belief they are good evaluators. The truth is, they are average at best. Therefore, they should also be looking at mid-range free agents that can fill gaps. They can get a lot of them for about the same money as untested draft choices below the second round, and the length of contract is more cap friendly in many cases.

I say they're more cap friendly only because you aren't buying a pig in a poke, and it can be geared to low cost guarantees if you choose to terminate the agreement early.

As for Cobb, I'm not going to knock this decision at this point. I'm not in the slightest bit convinced that Amari Rodgers is ready to step in and play a truly productive role in the slot. There are so many variances in how you play the position that it takes more than a playbook and a handful of practices to prepare.

What I do know is that the slot position is key in the ML offense. We also know that people compare Amari to Cobb, so that means an on-field tutorial is in the making.
Actually rookie contracts are more cap friendly. You have financial control for 3 years then can tender as RFA in many cases. Any free agent is going to require a SB even mid tier. Either way, mid level FA or rookie it comes down to evaluation. Our pro and college evaluation is suspect. As to Cobb, there is nothing i like about the deal. Maybe a locker room presence but on field no

100% disagree, you don't even want a slot WR in that offense. In a perfect world, ML wants a 2 WR set with a TE, HB with a FB/TE type back to match.

This offense feeds off the outside zone run game and play-action first and foremost. The whole slot thing was more of a MM thing and what Rodgers was used to for years. Now, people confuse that ML spent his year with the Rams and he wants that system but I have not seen that in his base TW. We know 100% from Jace that AR reverts back to his old stuff....which to me is another whole layer of cluster but I digress.
There was a point I would agree with you. Then the Packers drafted Amari Rodgers. He is the epitome of what you want in a slot receiver. The comparisons of him, to Cobb, has been constant, since the day he arrived in GB. It seemed obvious, to me, that ML intends to explore using the slot to create mismatches, and Rodgers is the type of guy who can set up in the slot, or out wide.

Now, despite what ML views as the way he really wants to run his offense, he's fully aware of the need to create offense around using a slot receiver at times, to exploit weaknesses. He's not going to eliminate it, and knows full well that it's something that Rodgers relates to very well. Hence, getting Cobb back, to run out of the slot, and as a tutor for Rodgers, may not be the dumbest move. It might prove to be a good one. Then there's the fact that Rodgers praise of Kumerow was for a guy that was really a slot player, despite being slower than you'd like.

In the end, I don't doubt for a moment that part of the reasoning for all of it is Rodgers. He's gotten what he wants. Now he needs to make it work. Cobb may well be coming in, to address what his complaint has been for quite some time. Actually, since the time Cobb left the Packers.

All personal observation. We'll know more as the preseason winds down. It's going to be one of the more interesting preseasons we've ever had. We can expect Love to get more reps than normal, because we just don't know. Rodgers could be traded before the season ends.

Actually rookie contracts are more cap friendly. You have financial control for 3 years then can tender as RFA in many cases. Any free agent is going to require a SB even mid tier. Either way, mid level FA or rookie it comes down to evaluation. Our pro and college evaluation is suspect. As to Cobb, there is nothing i like about the deal. Maybe a locker room presence but on field no
As for Cobb am going to assume everyone knows by now that Cobb and WR Rodgers are close. As much as Cobb was brought in for AR to get him and play this year,the other side of the coin is Cobb mentoring Rodgers (wr).

But I am on record that didn't like the Rodgers pick and had other WRs for us in last two drafts

As for Cobb am going to assume everyone knows by now that Cobb and WR Rodgers are close. As much as Cobb was brought in for AR to get him and play this year,the other side of the coin is Cobb mentoring Rodgers (wr).

But I am on record that didn't like the Rodgers pick and had other WRs for us in last two drafts
Last draft yes liked 2-3 more but they went early. This was a very top heavy WR class but was fan of Rodgers at Clemson. Is he a fit not sure. But who was left at that position I’m ok

Back