Article: Is Aaron Right?

Nerd

Reaction score
Is Aaron Right?

This offense is just gonna help Aaron extend his career. Drew Brees is benefiting from a similar alteration to the offense in New Orleans.

Aaron will have easy "gimme" throws and will benefit from a sound running game. As discussed here in another thread, he can get his arm strength back by getting back to fundamentals, especially planting his feet and stepping into his throws correctly.

Dude isn't going to play until age 45 by going sandlot and scrambling around looking deep. If he's gonna follow Brady's diet plan, maybe he will also follow Brady's style of play by getting the ball out in under 8 seconds and hitting the open guy, even if it's for under 15 yards.

It's all up to him, and I think he will get with the program. Still think he should have played in the preseason though.

I dont think his arm strength is an issue at all. His accuracy has been. Simple fix if he addresses it.

Yes I agree he needs to get the ball out and not take the hits. I appreciate he doesnt want to turn it over but I think it is to a fault. Go through the progressions and if it isnt there get rid of it.

It will be fun to watch and interesting to see not only AR but the O grow and adapt to this new system. GPG

Last year, Rodgers was the league leader in passes over 40 yards. He also threw for over 4,000 yards. Had our defense done enough to keep other team's offenses off the field, we could have been a playoff team. Probably one and done, but at least in the mix. He did well, under difficult circumstances.

With two years of injuries stacked up, if you watch carefully, Rodgers had adjusted his motion to avoid pain. His throwing motion adjusted to avoid pain. He lost follow through. Watching him against the Bears, I saw him a little tentative early, but he started to get the feel of it before halftime, and came out fine during the second half. The arm is there, it's just mechanics he's adjusting.

Granted, he hasn't been the old Aaron Rodgers, but you can bet a shiny nickel he'll have the swagger and all his tools on his belt working before mid-season.

What concerns me most is whether Lane Taylor can block anyone without help, and if the WRs will finally learn how to run routes without stopping and becoming spectators. So much of Rodgers game is after a play has broken down. We need those plays. They're part of the arsenal for success.

To me there are two issues with Aaron.

He's no longer as accurate as before. Too many over-throws, under-throws and off target passes. To me that's footwork and mechanics and it comes from the injuries. Hopefully it'll improve, but maybe this is how he'll be going forward. Those poor throws don't just lead to in-completions, they often affect the outcome of the play even if it's caught. The low and off-target throws typically mean the receiver is off-stride and losing momentum which costs yardage. His uncanny accuracy is part of what made Aaron special in the past. He looks more "average" in that area now.

He continues to hold the ball in an effort to get the "big play". I thought this was instilled in him by McCarthy, but maybe AR was part of the problem. Sure, there are times you need to look for the big play, but far more often you just need to move the chains. This is purely a mental thing. Hopefully ML can coach some of that out of AR. It shouldn't be hard - look at Brady and the Pats to see how you can become the most successful modern QB and franchise. It's not by standing back there holding the football and waiting for a sack. It's also not by running for your life and sometimes making the spectacular play. That's going to be harder as he gets older. Might be better to go the Brady route.

For the most part I believe Aaron is the QB he chooses to be right now, and I’ll leave it at that.

Going forward I want to see ML play to that a little more with the play design and play calling. Watching some all-22 from last week was revealing. There was one play where it looked like Aaron held the ball and was sacked by Aaron Lynch. It was a throw off of playaction out of 11 personnel on 2nd and 10. But watching the whole field, all three receiver routes were at least 10-15 yards and were covered perfectly. What choice was there but to hold the ball until they at least made their breaks? That looked like a MM play. ML has to scheme some guys open at different levels of the field so there is at least a dump off available when the protection collapses.

We’ll see. Like I said above, I think he is what he is right now. It could be different if he wants it to be.

Rodgers biggest asset other than his arm was/is his legs. He is so effective moving out of the pocket and creating plays, moving. Last year his knee was not right and than limited what he could do. Sure some is mechanics but more to compensate for the shoulder and knee. And it's time to consider that age is a factor. The number of hits he has taken the last 2-3 years has begun to take its toll, it was inevitable, some players age faster than others. I am not so much NOLA has altered their offense, more they have a guy named Kamara who gives you that extra dimension. As to NE, the weapons around Brady also takes the pressure off, Rodgers other than #17 has been the show. Is he right? no he is not 30 years old anymore, this is the new Rodgers and we cant expect him to be the old Rodgers

And this is also why we need to draft a WR high next year. We need to have another #1 or #2 WR. This will help the O and AR moving forward. We also still need to draft another solid offensive lineman.

And this is also why we need to draft a WR high next year. We need to have another #1 or #2 WR. This will help the O and AR moving forward. We also still need to draft another solid offensive lineman.
Hopefully we will have some options next year when we draft to get OL and WR without reaching.

Is he right? no he is not 30 years old anymore, this is the new Rodgers and we cant expect him to be the old Rodgers

I don't care about fan perception of what he should be, I care about what HE thinks he should be.

Look, when you gain a couple pounds around the midsection, do you wear your old pants that make your belly bulge out even more, or do you accept reality and buy some new more flattering clothes?

Change is inevitable, it happens to all of us at various times and for various reasons. IMO Rodgers will always be leaving something on the table the longer he goes trying to play like he's still 30 with zero broken collarbones and legs. The throws he makes now off his back foot or the side of one foot while he's falling away are diving now because the shoulder injuries took some juice off his arm. He can't get time outside the pocket now because of the calf and leg injuries over the years, and the fact that modern DL all run 4.7. Deal. With. Reality. Stop doing it! Plant your feet! Throw on time! Get that extra juice from your hips and legs because it's not all there in the arm and back anymore. ML can help him with play designs, Gute can help him getting talent in there but in the end Rodgers touches the ball every offensive snap, it's on him to do what he needs to.

I don't care about fan perception of what he should be, I care about what HE thinks he should be.

Look, when you gain a couple pounds around the midsection, do you wear your old pants that make your belly bulge out even more, or do you accept reality and buy some new more flattering clothes?

Change is inevitable, it happens to all of us at various times and for various reasons. IMO Rodgers will always be leaving something on the table the longer he goes trying to play like he's still 30 with zero broken collarbones and legs. The throws he makes now off his back foot or the side of one foot while he's falling away are diving now because the shoulder injuries took some juice off his arm. He can't get time outside the pocket now because of the calf and leg injuries over the years, and the fact that modern DL all run 4.7. Deal. With. Reality. Stop doing it! Plant your feet! Throw on time! Get that extra juice from your hips and legs because it's not all there in the arm and back anymore. ML can help him with play designs, Gute can help him getting talent in there but in the end Rodgers touches the ball every offensive snap, it's on him to do what he needs to.

Yes. Get with the program. Throw on time. Take what the defense gives you. It will open up the big throws.

Where can you get these flattering pants? Do they come in shorts?

Back