Badgers chopped down by Gophers 37-15

Until the WR issue is upgraded who plays QB is irrelevant

not sure if i can agree with that completely. yes, the badgers receivers are not good. but a good qb can make bad receivers appear mediocre and mediocre receivers appear to be good. so i wouldn't say "irrelevant" is completely accurate. i thought the badgers achieved better results with coan behind center than they did with hornibrook - at least the hornibrook that we saw yesterday. the gophers are a below-average team that had a losing record coming into the game. this should have been a relatively easy win for the axe.

not sure if i can agree with that completely. yes, the badgers receivers are not good. but a good qb can make bad receivers appear mediocre and mediocre receivers appear to be good. so i wouldn't say "irrelevant" is completely accurate. i thought the badgers achieved better results with coan behind center than they did with hornibrook - at least the hornibrook that we saw yesterday. the gophers are a below-average team that had a losing record coming into the game. this should have been a relatively easy win for the axe.
Better with Coan? No, Taylor ran for 300+ in his only win. Hornibrook is what he is, an average B1G quarterback with below average talent at the skill positions sans Taylor.

Where do i start?
Chryst: Yes some of the red flags are now showing but if anyone thought this was a potential playoff team had red and white glasses on. This had 8-4 maybe 9-3 written all over it. Young defense and schedule was more difficult. The answer is recruiting but history is not going to be kind. Look back to Barry. How many non bowl seasons and “not meet expectations” seasons? More than a couple

The Schedule: It set up perfect last year. No PSU, no OSU, no MSU, Michigan at home and they were down. And crossover games now include OSU MSU & PSU so it won’t get easier

Recruiting: Like him it not BB could recruit especially Florida. The state recruiting base is well weak and unless we upgrade at skill positions it’s not going to get much better

Financial: UW is not flush with cash when it comes to the athletic department. We will never get the $6m+ HC, hell Chryst has to fight for staff money so forget Aranda types

So......like it or not in many ways this is Wisconsin football. A 8-4, 9-3 type program and if everything falls right your occasional 10-2 , 11-1. Will a change in offensive philosophy help? More spread? Maybe but can you recruit that type athlete to Madison? Doubtful. The only way it changes is for Alverez to get his footprint and handprint off the program and that’s a big if and depends how the powers above deal with a new AD.

What Wisconsin needs af some point is a Matt Campbell type. Young guy, can coach and can energize both the staff, players and alumni. Don’t rework the “Wisconsin Way”. Just re tool it to become 21st century college football.

Better with Coan? No, Taylor ran for 300+ in his only win.

reread what i wrote - they achieved better results with coan than with the version of hornibrook we saw in this game. i don't care how bad you think the badgers are at skill positions, the gophers aren't any better and they lost one of their best defensive players early in the game on a stupid penalty. there's no excuse for this loss.

reread what i wrote - they achieved better results with coan than with the version of hornibrook we saw in this game. i don't care how bad you think the badgers are at skill positions, the gophers aren't any better. there's no excuse for this loss.
I don’t disagree no excuses for the loss but this game was a microcosm of the season. Does the Northwesten Coan or the PSU Coan win this game? Doubtful. Does the Purdue Coan win this game? I would not bet on if. The defense and special teams were beyond bad. This team sleepwalked in this game like they did the entire season

I think Barry needs to put PC on notice that this type of horrific offensive play won't work. Not just yesterday, but all season and even going back to previous seasons. One of these years you were bound to loose to the Goofers, so that's not a crime, but the offense you are playing is. You need to recruit better at WR AND you need to recruit QBs that can make some plays when things break down. I'm not talking AR type skills, I'm talking about modern day "typical" top-25 college QB ability. You also need to honestly evaluate Joe Rudolph as the OC and play-caller. Might be time to move Bostad to OL coach in place of Rudolph and for PC himself to take over play-calling.

The Badger receivers are not great. I'm not even sure they are really good, but they are not so horrible that this offense should be this bad. They are playing in an offense rooted in the 90's and with a QB who can't ad lib to save his life. He is a complete statue and sometimes makes the bad throws he does because he's simply a slow twitch athlete who sees something but takes far too long to react to it and the result is throws into double coverage or after the defender has recovered and is now in position to play the ball.

PC does need to recruit better at QB and probably WR. Beyond that they are recruiting just fine. BB certainly never recruited any better than PC, as his recruiting classes were consistently ranked below PCs. I don't think this is about recruiting, this is about coaching, scheme and gameplan. PC needs to figure it out or Barry will need to find a coach who can bring the Badgers into the new millennium offensively.

Bielema had his own issues at times including 9-4, 8-6 and 7-6 seasons. Programs like UW will have some bumps because they are not constantly recruiting blue-chippers at every position and sometimes the talent available just does not fall right in some seasons. I'll give PC a couple more years before I put him on the hot-seat.

I think Barry needs to put PC on notice that this type of horrific offensive play won't work. Not just yesterday, but all season and even going back to previous seasons. One of these years you were bound to loose to the Goofers, so that's not a crime, but the offense you are playing is. You need to recruit better at WR AND you need to recruit QBs that can make some plays when things break down. I'm not talking AR type skills, I'm talking about modern day "typical" top-25 college QB ability. You also need to honestly evaluate Joe Rudolph as the OC and play-caller. Might be time to move Bostad to OL coach in place of Rudolph and for PC himself to take over play-calling.

The Badger receivers are not great. I'm not even sure they are really good, but they are not so horrible that this offense should be this bad. They are playing in an offense rooted in the 90's and with a QB who can't ad lib to save his life. He is a complete statue and sometimes makes the bad throws he does because he's simply a slow twitch athlete who sees something but takes far too long to react to it and the result is throws into double coverage or after the defender has recovered and is now in position to play the ball.

PC does need to recruit better at QB and probably WR. Beyond that they are recruiting just fine. BB certainly never recruited any better than PC, as his recruiting classes were consistently ranked below PCs. I don't think this is about recruiting, this is about coaching, scheme and gameplan. PC needs to figure it out or Barry will need to find a coach who can bring the Badgers into the new millennium offensively.

Bielema had his own issues at times including 9-4, 8-6 and 7-6 seasons. Programs like UW will have some bumps because they are not constantly recruiting blue-chippers at every position and sometimes the talent available just does not fall right in some seasons. I'll give PC a couple more years before I put him on the hot-seat.

The question I have is when have we recruited well at WR or QB? The last 2 4 star QB’s were Houston and Owen Daniels. The best WR recruit we have had the last 10-15 years is maybe Nick Toon. The last “open” or close to spread we ran was with Matt Canada under BB. I know it’s a anomaly but Wilson ran the PC offense to perfection but I don’t see a Wilson coming to Madison any time soon.

I don’t see recruiting changing much. As Barry once said “Our hearts and soul come from Wisconsin and out hands and feet come from out of state” or something like that. The state pool is small. I think a number I saw was that it ranked 38th for Power 5 offers. Yes BB class ranks were about the same but he pulled some kids out of Florida and came damn close to Brissette and O Leary out of Florida and if he would have stayed in Madison I think Alex Collins plays in Madison.

Like I said if a change needs to be made it needs to have. Non-Wisconsin roots. Who that is I don’t know,

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Especially about Hornibrook. He's just a kid so I hate, getting on him. But he hasn't progressed. He rarely gets the ball accurately to a receiver while the receiver is running their route. He's a great kid. He's not a D-I QB.

But I think everybody should be on the hot seat all the time. The Badgers looked horrible in every facet of play this year, mental, physical, offense, special teams and defense - although I think defense played better than everybody else but got no help whatsoever.

Chryst should be put on the hot seat. If the Badgers were playing sharp and just getting beat, I'd say no he shouldn't, but they are making - stupid stupid - mistakes time and time again. When players are making those types of mistakes time and time again, that's coaching, and the coach shouldn't get a break.

Chryst should be on the hot seat. Leckrone's left us, what if the band goes downhill? There won't be any reason to go to games, if football isn't good. Next year is scary.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Especially about Hornibrook. He's just a kid so I hate, getting on him. But he hasn't progressed. He rarely gets the ball accurately to a receiver while the receiver is running their route. He's a great kid. He's not a D-I QB.

But I think everybody should be on the hot seat all the time. The Badgers looked horrible in every facet of play this year, mental, physical, offense, special teams and defense - although I think defense played better than everybody else but got no help whatsoever.

Chryst should be put on the hot seat. If the Badgers were playing sharp and just getting beat, I'd say no he shouldn't, but they are making - stupid stupid - mistakes time and time again. When players are making those types of mistakes time and time again, that's coaching, and the coach shouldn't get a break.

Chryst should be on the hot seat. Leckrone's left us, what if the band goes downhill? There won't be any reason to go to games, if football isn't good. Next year is scary.

One 7-5 year should not be a shock. If anyone thought 10-2 to begin year they had too many adult beverages. This team especially on defense was young with no depth. You had backup OL playing DL and lost your best DL for the season. Secondary was Dixon and nobody else. This is not OSU or Michigan and reload. Won’t ever be

Leckrone's left us, what if the band goes downhill?

The halftime shows and run-on will be fine, but where he'll be missed the most will be the Spring Concert.

The last consummate showman on par with Mike Leckrone was P.T. Barnam

Reactions: TW
Back